Copenhagen

agentundercover

Hello. Missus is away in a few weeks, so I have stuck the tail on the easyjet donkey & ended up booking a solo flight to Copenhagen for a couple of nights.

Booked into a decent restaurant for lunch, planning on going to Christiana (sic?)....other than that, any tips - not so much nightlife, but a decent cosy bar to read a book and single a couple of (very expensive?) cold ones would be appreciated.

thanks for any help in advance!

Never been but I would love to know what Christiania is like! The government is trying to stop it. Not sure how much time they have left :(

Hello. Missus is away in a few weeks, so I have stuck the tail on the easyjet donkey & ended up booking a solo flight to Copenhagen for a couple of nights.

Booked into a decent restaurant for lunch, planning on going to Christiana (sic?)....other than that, any tips - not so much nightlife, but a decent cosy bar to read a book and single a couple of (very expensive?) cold ones would be appreciated.

thanks for any help in advance!

Im not from Denmark but i think Nyhavn is really nice.

What is this Christianity you speak of? Not so sure I should be perusing in work if the government is cracking down on it?

stroget is the main street for shopping and yes, the nyhavn is really nice. else...too long ago to remember!

ahhh Copenhagen.

I'm back early April for my birthday.

I recommend - well what i did:

- a smoke/drink/walk around at christiania
- the arne jacobsen designed (from top to bottom, door handles included) radisson blu hotel
- design museum opposite tivoli gardens
- agree nyhaven is lovely (nice retaurants overlooking a river inlet)
- i did not go to tivoli gardens myself, but a bit of a disney land with decent restaurants slap bang in the centre of town, meant to be cool at night
- www.noma.dk tried and failed to get a table for birthday :(

I'm staying 2 blocks from Tivoli so that's on my list.

Also planning to check out the Rosenborg palace, Amalienborg Castle, Kastellet and, of course, the Little Mermaid.

What's in the Christiania?

My missus was there for work recently and said the locals, male and female, are all supermodels. Hotel staff, drivers, newspaper sellers - all gorgeous. And she has high standards!:)lol:)

My missus was there for work recently and said the locals, male and female, are all supermodels. Hotel staff, drivers, newspaper sellers - all gorgeous. And she has high standards!:)lol:)
**wonders why he invited the missus along**
:lol:

I've got a decent list of things to see. Main problem now is sorting out where to party tomorrow night. Anyone?!

I'm staying 2 blocks from Tivoli so that's on my list.

Also planning to check out the Rosenborg palace, Amalienborg Castle, Kastellet and, of course, the Little Mermaid.

What's in the Christiania?

Up until about 4-5 years ago Cannabis was legal in Christiana and sold freely along Pusher street, which is the main street in Christiana. Today it isn't legal but accepted in a way. That means they sell it a few meters away from the street so it is not as obvious for people passing by.

The area is quite big, and a car-free area of the town with cafes at daytime (with smoking outside) and small shops etc. where people sell things made in the area, everything from art to bicycles. There are also concerts some evenings so check the program when you are there.
The area itself feels has a very cool atmospehre and it feels like going 50 years back in time and is very safe. You see a lot of smokers around but no hard drugs are accepted. Definately worth a visit as I don't think there is anywehre else like it.

i know where a few thousand chelsea fans will be drinking.
but that's not much use to you.
Many of them were drinking with me, since attending the match was my main reason for traveling there :lol:

Up until about 4-5 years ago Cannabis was legal in Christiana and sold freely along Pusher street, which is the main street in Christiana. Today it isn't legal but accepted in a way. That means they sell it a few meters away from the street so it is not as obvious for people passing by.
If you mean that it's not sold right next to the entrance to Christiania, that's correct. But inside the territory it's the most open street sales of drugs I've ever seen :lol: They've got stands, FFS!

Had a good time, and some amazing food. Will post notes in the weekend thread at some point.

Had a good time, and some amazing food. Will post notes in the weekend thread at some point.
Didn't get around to posting in the weekend thread and, as it's now already Friday, I figured I'd go ahead and put some notes in here.

Copenhagen is a beautiful little city. Really. The center is like a storybook.

It's also strangely empty... no traffic, few people on the streets. Really odd!

The city is chock full of supposedly very good museums but, quite possibly in error, we didn't visit many of them. The Design Museum (not near Tivoli, closer to Citadel... there are apparently several) was the one exhibit we took in. It was somewhat interesting.

We did, however, do a serious walkabout and see a lot of the castles (Rosenburg, Amelieburg, Christiansburg, Frederiksburg), gardens and the fortress (Citadel). We really just enjoyed taking in the architecture there and in quaint areas like Nyhaven and Christianhavn. And of course we visited Christiania and went to see the Little Mermaid.

Saturday night, we went to a little Latino bar called Barbarellah. Good ceviche and empanadas on offer if you get there before the kitchen closes at 10. As midnight approached, it started to get quite lively.

Later on that night, I went to a nightclub called Music Box. It felt very underground... just grimy enough without being dirty. Eclectic crowd. Probably the best set of music I'd heard since DC10 last September... really great tunes. The place didn't get very full but the crowd was very much up-for-it - hands in the air and all. Great time. Really reminded me of DC10 in music and vibe.

Two restaurants I'd highlight:
Les Tres Cochons (Verndamsvej 10) - Danish-French restaurant with a set menu - we had a choice of beef, pork or fish (skate) and then they bring you a range of appetizers and a bunch of desserts. Everything is meant for sharing at the table.

Rasmus Oubaek (Store Kondensgade 52) - another Danish/French restaurant with Tapas-style portions. They recommend 3 dishes each, which is about what everyone in our group ended up having (I had fish soup, beef bernaise and the most amazing lemon tart).

Both of these places were top notch. Everyone in our gang walked out raving.

I know you're a foodie, AU, so just wanted to pass along those recommendations.

Last edited by a moderator:
Didn't get around to posting in the weekend thread and, as it's now already Friday, I figured I'd go ahead and put some notes in here.

Copenhagen is a beautiful little city. Really. The center is like a storybook.

It's also strangely empty... no traffic, few people on the streets. Really odd!

The city is chock full of supposedly very good museums but, quite possibly in error, we didn't visit many of them. The Design Museum (not near Tivoli, closer to Citadel... there are apparently several) was the one exhibit we took in. It was somewhat interesting.

We did, however, do a serious walkabout and see a lot of the castles (Rosenburg, Amelieburg, Christiansburg, Frederiksburg), gardens and the fortress (Citadel). We really just enjoyed taking in the architecture there and in quaint areas like Nyhaven and Christianhavn. And of course we visited Christiania and went to see the Little Mermaid.

Saturday night, we went to a little Latino bar called Barbarellah. Good ceviche and empanadas on offer if you get there before the kitchen closes at 10. As midnight approached, it started to get quite lively.

Later on that night, I went to a nightclub called Music Box. It felt very underground... just grimy enough without being dirty. Eclectic crowd. Probably the best set of music I'd heard since DC10 last September... really great tunes. The place didn't get very full but the crowd was very much up-for-it - hands in the air and all. Great time. Really reminded me of DC10 in music and vibe.

Two restaurants I'd highlight:
Les Tres Cochons (Verndamsvej 10) - Danish-French restaurant with a set menu - we had a choice of beef, port or fish (skate) and then they bring you a range of appetizers and a bunch of desserts. Everything is meant for sharing at the table.

Rasmus Oubaek (Store Kondensgade 52) - Danish restaurant with Tapas-style portions. They recommend 3 dishes each, which is about what everyone in our group ended up having (I had fish soup, beef bernaise and the most amazing lemon tart).

Both of these places were top notch. Everyone in our gang walked out raving.

I know you're a foodie, AU, so just wanted to pass along those recommendations.

Spot on, cheers Morbs will look to visit one of them when there.

The castles & royal area are the main reason we are going. Last time was on my own & did not visit the 'slots', but the missus is a history buff so will love it by all accounts.

Christiania is a bit of an eye opener (or eye shutter!), from looking at the chaps selling the weed it's not necessarily all about free love and hippy vibes.

Back