Colonoscopy

Fronty

Good day

Been having a few medical problems and have been booked in to have a Colonoscopy. Whilst im thinking the worst ( your mind is struck by the fact it could be cancer) my appointment isnt until the beggining of January just a few questions.

1) if they thought it was serious would i have been given a sooner appointment.
2) the procedure says i need a sedative does this mean i will be awake during the operation or is a general anesthetic or something totaly diffrent ?
3) does it hurt ??

Thanks

Fronty

Hi Dave. Can't help you there as I haven't been through it. Point #1 looks logical.

In any case, good luck and hope everything turns out ok.

1) if they thought it was serious would i have been given a sooner appointment.
2) the procedure says i need a sedative does this mean i will be awake during the operation or is a general anesthetic or something totaly diffrent ?
3) does it hurt ??

1) Not necessarily, theyre having a look to see whats up there.

2) a sedative is use to help calm you down.

3) it'll hurt as much as having a camera shoved up your bottom will.

WIKI SAYS

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colonoscopy

There are plenty of reasons for such procedures, not only suspected cancer, so try not to stress out too much. (Easier said than done, I know)
Indeed, the sedative is to help you stay calm and relaxed.
From what I have heard, it isn't "painful" as such, uncomfortable is the word that comes up occasionally, though I think that may be partially caused by the notion of it being a rather undignified thing...
I am not a doctor, work in cancer research charity admin, so have some feedback there, also both my parents have had to have one.
Good luck with everything.

but does the sedative send me to sleep ie local a general anesthetic or will i be awake but just drowsey ??

I went through a coloscopy once and it is not painful.

You have to drink a salted solution to empty your colon and provoke diarhea . 2 days before

the exam, you should not eat solid food (no fibers)

It's done under sedatif; you don't feel anything and you can watch your insides on tv screen.

My experience; the part I didn't like, was the salted fluid I had to drink.

My advice is to put your "preparation" in the fridge, it'll be easier to drink.

Drink as much as possible (water of course) to clean up your colon.

If your colon is not clean enough, you'll have to come back and redo the whole process.

I had some polyps removed and didn't feel a thing.

I think my telly is connected to a colonoscopy ward...nothing but ****e on it!!

sorry!!

Im sure its routine and a line of inquiry needed to rule out certain things the "big c" being one of them. it's also a proceedure used to diagnos IBS, colonitis, krones etc! try not to jump to the immidiate worst conclusion (easy for me to say I know). As for the sedative it's probably to relax you as tight butt cheeks are probably not condusive to easy entry.

will it hurt? probably no more than a couple of fingers, which doesnt (i know as I had the prostate checked a few months back) :lol:

(disappointed with self for resorting to smut humour when the poor bloke is worried about his procedure!)

If I were you I'd get on the phone and get as much info as you can.

I don't really trust the speed of the NHS.

It's likely that it's nothing serious but speaking to a consultant will put your mind at rest.

...either that or swallow a medical dictionary and start diagnosing. (or not)

There's basicly nothing to it.
I had some farmers a few years back and they had to do a colonscopy.
I had only gone for a check up and he just did one right there and then.
I didn't even know what one was.

I was joking with the doctor and told him that some people would pay good money for this.

They will check for cancer but if you are under the age of 50 it apparently is very, very rare.

(disappointed with self for resorting to smut humour when the poor bloke is worried about his procedure!)

If I were you I'd get on the phone and get as much info as you can.

I don't really trust the speed of the NHS.

It's likely that it's nothing serious but speaking to a consultant will put your mind at rest.

...either that or swallow a medical dictionary and start diagnosing. (or not)

look at Dr Rob putting fronty's mind at rest :lol:

on a serious note, he has got a point. NHS took 2yrs, and several scans and loads of antibiotics, before they settled on removing my mates bollock after finally deciding it was actually a tumor and not an infection as first diagnosed.

so... no need to worry!

i work on a colorectal/surgical ward.
jan is not far away,i think if they thought it serious it would of been sooner.It could be lots of things Diverticulitis,irritable bowel ,internal piles to name but a few.
the sedative will make you drowsy but you will be awake,lots of people say they cant remember the procedure.
Its usually descibed as uncomfortable rather than painful.
better to get a diagnosis than worry.

Back