Colgone Germany

jackmontandon

Just booked up to go here for new years.

Don't really no anything about the place so was just wondering if anyone else had been before and if so where would you recommend to go in the day and what clubs / bars at night.

Also any decent food places to mention?

Thanks!

Cologne is a fantastic city and New Year is a great time to visit! As far as clubbing goes, there are a few decent places, you can find out what's on here Prinz.de, the Bootshaus has some decent nights. For eating, if you don't mind spending a few quid and fancy some fine, but relaxed dining, then try Basilicum. Otherwise most places serve decent German food, make sure you drink the local Kölsch beer (and remember, unless you put your beer mat over your empty glass they will keep bringing refills!).

One other thing, the Germans go absolutely nuts with fireworks on NYE, health and safety goes out of the window and you'll see people doing things with fireworks in the street that will make you cringe, everyone has handfuls of them and they let them off everywhere. Make sure you buy a load to join the fun :)

Tim.

Last edited:
That all sounds pretty good to me!

I will have a look at that website for events closer to the time :) That Basilicum looks lovely, thats a must!

Regarding the fire works I will more than happily get involved!

As a Cologne resident, I can warmly recommend to eat at 'Bar Schmitz'. Schmitz is actually as small 'empire' of three establishments at the same street.
http://salonschmitz.com/bar
You have all kinds of restaurants around this area actually - it is called 'Belgisches Viertel' and is home to the Cologne bohos.

For NYE, if you are not celebrating at a bar, go to the side of the Rhine which is opposite to the Cathedral to have the best view of the city with fireworks. There is a new area called 'Rheinboulevard' which boosts nice views.

Speaking of the Cathedral: Limit your sightseeing to it - no other sights in Cologne coming close to it.

this all sounding very promising!

I will look at eating at Bar Schmitz as we want to eat at a few nice places!

I think our plan new years is to find nice places to drink while watching fire works then bars after so that will be helpful knowing where to go!

Yeah the cathederal is on the cards, looks beautiful

welcome to germany 2016 !
thanks to that merkel-c*** (and some other criminals) a mxxxxx-infested shithole:
http://www.breitbart.com/london/201...steal-one-german-train-station-new-years-eve/
I was there that night, we spent around 30 minutes by that station until a group of Syrians started asking for pictures with my brothers girlfriend, they all started to try and touch her up so we moved quickly back down to the river side.

Down there was a totally different experience, everyone was friendly as it was all Germans!

The firework situation however was the same wherever you were in the city! I didnt feel unsafe however, you just had to have your witts about you!

I've also seen somewhere that they have stated they closed the area down.

Not true at all, 6 police turned up with guns and left.

I must say you feel the tension between the imigrants and the germans

The German media tried to cover it up at first until it started surfacing on Facebook and through independent journalists. That's why it took so long to reach the news. Can't believe either that they took the victim-blaming approach to it.

Nice balanced news source right there.
another big problem in germany is that there are too many idiots around like this fatphilb ... clowns who don´t want to see the real problems ...besides mourning about "news sources" and stuff. just do a fckng research ...
some days later now even in the left-wing "good-doing" idiot-papers which people like fatphilb might prefer, that cologne-sylvester-incident is frontpage news ! plus ... almost the same happened in some other big cities like hamburg, stuttgart, frankfurt etc...

insightful interview of a croatian doorman of a private sylvester-party in a 5star-hotel
right next to that place (maybe meanwhile there is a version with english subtitles somewhere ?):

joke of the century that "recommendation" that this mummified scum of a major gave to women ...

"...
Mayor of Cologne condemned for urging women to 'keep men at arm's length' in new code of conduct to prevent assaults

The Mayor of Cologne says women should adopt a “code of conduct” to prevent future attacks following trouble on New Year's eve when women in the city centre were subjected to sexual assaults by hundreds of men.

Henriette Reker attended an emergency meeting with police and other officials on Tuesday to discuss how best to deal with the crimes that occurred when 1,000 men, “of Arab or North African appearance”, took over the area around the main station.

The proposed code of conduct includes staying an arm's length away from strangers ...

..."
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...r-young-women-to-prevent-future-assaults.html

Embedded media from this media site is no longer available

another big problem in germany is that there are too many idiots around like this fatphilb ... clowns who don´t want to see the real problems ...besides mourning about "news sources" and stuff. just do a fckng research ...
some days later now even in the left-wing "good-doing" idiot-papers which people like fatphilb might prefer, that cologne-sylvester-incident is frontpage news ! plus ... almost the same happened in some other big cities like hamburg, stuttgart, frankfurt etc...

Tbh, as much as it pains me to admit it, it seems there was a total blackout and your 'dodgy' source was the only one actually reporting it. It just seemed so outrageous and brass eye-esque. I guess sometimes truth is stranger than fiction.

Back