Clubbing aspirations for Summer 2012

kimajy

OK, so I can't complain one bit about a fantastic, Ibiza-dominated Summer 2011. Or festival-dabbling in the Cotswolds, getting my freak on in France, some wonderful nights in London and a worthy crescendo to end the Summer in Barcelona.

There are hopefully a few more forays planned to ease in the hardship of Winter, but already my head is swimming with ideas for Summer 2012 - and recollections of all the places I'd planned to go and things I was going to do which I never managed this Summer. I love to travel and see other places - and it's a real bonus if you can work in a great party or two as well !

Sometimes as the year rolls on, your mind can easily just go blank when faced with a bewildering choice of great venues and events. Sometimes you just can't make a plan fit for one reason or another - funds, time, non-clubbing trips, other priorities, etc. But it helps to have a few ideas written down to guide your plans and dreams if the opportunity presents itself and the urge to pack a case takes over.

Leaving festivals, Ibiza and UK clubs to one side, here are some on my Summer 2012 radar, which with one exception I didn't manage this year.. depending on their bookings - and all of the above limitations - I'd love to manage to make a gig at :

1. Cavo Paraiso, Mykonos (Greece) - consistently amazing bookings and open-air parties

2. B018, Beirut (Lebanon) - under the city with a retracting roof to dance under the stars

3. La Grotta, Gozo (Malta) - amazing venue, open air parties

4. Row 14, Barcelona (Spain) - just the nuts right now .. dance all day in the sunshine

5. Woodstock 69, Bloemendaal (Netherlands) - fantasy open air venue by the sea

6. Janga Beach, Fregene (Italy) - Beach club with a great musical attitude

There's an open air focus on all of the above, but a woeful lack of any in Eastern Europe, Germany, Switzerland, etc.

Trips are usually booked at short notice, cost/distance is always a factor and I tend to rule out touristy events. Would love to broaden my horizons of possible places even further to maximize my chances of getting to the odd great party with a great crowd around my Ibiza pilgrimages. So if anyone has any suggestions of places on their wish lists, with a Summer focus, I'd be really happy if you'd share your thoughts.

Ta !

July 2012 is the month for me.

Im planning on heading to Europe for a month and experiencing the festival scene over there . Planning to go to

Hideout Festival in Croatia , Monegras Festival in Spain, Love Box in the UK & Tomorrowland in Belgium. [FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Wanna check out Row 14 in Barcalona and Berghain in Berlin aswell as visiting Paris and ofcourse Ibiza again.

My clubbing boots are worn paper thin, burning man would be a fabulous end to my 20+ year journey.

Have you ever tried/ fancied Bali, kimajy? Not sure what it is like these days but read some amazing reports from there a few years back of parties in the hill tops.

OK, so I can't complain one bit about a fantastic, Ibiza-dominated Summer 2011. Or festival-dabbling in the Cotswolds, getting my freak on in France, some wonderful nights in London and a worthy crescendo to end the Summer in Barcelona.

There are hopefully a few more forays planned to ease in the hardship of Winter, but already my head is swimming with ideas for Summer 2012 - and recollections of all the places I'd planned to go and things I was going to do which I never managed this Summer. I love to travel and see other places - and it's a real bonus if you can work in a great party or two as well !

Sometimes as the year rolls on, your mind can easily just go blank when faced with a bewildering choice of great venues and events. Sometimes you just can't make a plan fit for one reason or another - funds, time, non-clubbing trips, other priorities, etc. But it helps to have a few ideas written down to guide your plans and dreams if the opportunity presents itself and the urge to pack a case takes over.

Leaving festivals, Ibiza and UK clubs to one side, here are some on my Summer 2012 radar, which with one exception I didn't manage this year.. depending on their bookings - and all of the above limitations - I'd love to manage to make a gig at :

1. Cavo Paraiso, Mykonos (Greece) - consistently amazing bookings and open-air parties

2. B018, Beirut (Lebanon) - under the city with a retracting roof to dance under the stars

3. La Grotta, Gozo (Malta) - amazing venue, open air parties

4. Row 14, Barcelona (Spain) - just the nuts right now .. dance all day in the sunshine

5. Woodstock 69, Bloemendaal (Netherlands) - fantasy open air venue by the sea

6. Janga Beach, Fregene (Italy) - Beach club with a great musical attitude

There's an open air focus on all of the above, but a woeful lack of any in Eastern Europe, Germany, Switzerland, etc.

Trips are usually booked at short notice, cost/distance is always a factor and I tend to rule out touristy events. Would love to broaden my horizons of possible places even further to maximize my chances of getting to the odd great party with a great crowd around my Ibiza pilgrimages. So if anyone has any suggestions of places on their wish lists, with a Summer focus, I'd be really happy if you'd share your thoughts.

Ta !

have you been to all those places before then?

Looking at doing two Ibiza sessions next year, one in June / July and one in September.

Energy: The Network 2012,
A State of Trance 550
Trance Around the World 450
Global Gathering 2012
Creamfields 2012
V 2012 (Maybe)

The usual assortment of nights out round the UK as the pop up. Will be broadening my horizons and keeping out for more than just Trance nights next year.

Ibiza in September 8) thats the biggest one for me and also the BF and me want to fit in as many festivals as we can this year :D

All my friends might be settling down with babies and marriage but i sure as hell aint...bring it on 8)

http://www.suncebeat.com/

Line-up this year was:

LIVE ACTS:

INCOGNITO
LIL LOUIS & THE WORLD FTJOI CARDWELL

THE DJ'S:

Tony Humphries
Lil Louis
Kerri Chandler
Quentin Harris
DJ Spen
Karizma
Prosumer
Anthony Nicholson
Boo Williams
Ashley Beedle
Osunlade
Theo Parrish
Henrik Schwarz
Benji B
Rainer Truby
Qool DJ Marv
Phil Asher
Andy Ward
Kev Beadle
Atjazz
Ronnie Herel
Souldynamic
Luis Radio(Room 26/Italia)
Terry Jones
Steve Butler
Sarah Favouritizm
DJ Dekky
Gavin Kendrick
Marc Rowlands
Mark Stone(UDM Show)

I expect more of the same next year.

Money's getting tighter and tighter for me, so no huge aspirations. In fact, planning on cutting money spent on hols so I actually have some money for going out on at home. :(

I wonder what clubbing in Mykonos would be like given the strictness of Greek drug laws? A club full of people on booze is quite different to one where half the punters are on E.

Money's getting tighter and tighter for me, so no huge aspirations. In fact, planning on cutting money spent on hols so I actually have some money for going out on at home. :(

Interesting point, Johnny. The world generally is going to have far less spending money, which might be a good thing for the scene as more free or dirt cheap parties start up. Sound system turning up on the back of a clapped out pickup type of events, maybe a business op for you there, J?

come to switzerland for the streetparade weekend (august 11 next year i think), you won't be disappointed.

cavo paradiso is beautiful indeed. it's just a very different crowd to the one in ibiza. still worth going (also because mykonos town is just absolutely gorgeous).

don't forget timewarp mannheim in your schedule.

Wowzers, a lot of good ideas there - tho' have to say the festivals I had put on another list :) .. Croatia and Serbia seem the places to be - Hideout and Exit are the 2 which I'd clocked to check out instead of UK ones (which seem to get worse value for money by the year and unavoidably prone to awful weather :()

Really like the idea of the Streetparade in Switzerland (more ideas like that would be great) and had been looking at Time Warp Holland later this year (having failed yet again to go to the main event). Perhaps it's better to wait and just go to Mannheim :confused: ?

I'm not put off by a more booze-dominated crowd at Cavo Paradiso (being quite partial to a tipple myself) - if the lineup is right should help achieve a decent balance nonetheless. A bunch of boozers can be no worse than a gaggle of over-coked a*seholes (who seem far more prevalent than ever, outnumbering happy pillheads in many a venue).

Tokyo and Bali sound a bit far for a short break (unless someone else is paying for a skybed and I can wangle some business alongside !!) tho' have wanted to go patying in both for years. Would love to spend a week in either but my max stay away is usually 4 days including travel for various reasons. Couldn't get away for long enough to do Burning Man either although it looks like an experience of a lifetime.

Wonder how SuncéBeat will stack up against Hideout - had not heard of the 1st before but really wanted to go to Hideout - especially if you can come and go as you please, stay where you choose (an absolute 'must' for me these days) and see a bit more than just the festival in your time there.

Grego - no, I haven't yet managed all on that list. Working on it tho' (along with a few more in the non-Summer category). But for every trip I book/try to go on I wind up backing out of another because other more important things crop up which just have to take priority, so it's a slow and costly old quest which remains ever the challenge on many fronts. Which is no bad thing really in the greater scheme of things - makes it all that much more enjoyable when you finally pull one off ! :)

Italy seems to have some cracking events and venues ... not to mention the awesome lineups. Still haven't really got my head around it, nor a proper understanding of Germany other than Berlin (and even then only scratching the surface relatively speaking). In Belgium it's mainly about Cafe d'Anvers in Antwerp for me.

Really interesting replies - thanks ! Keep 'em coming !!

apart from Berlin in november I have none. Surviving Fabric birthday this weekend would be nice. > insert getting old quote here<

Well it might not be Summer but Sasha's booking at B018 in Beirut on 16th December is pretty much a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. Even though it's not his first appearance there and may well not be his last :lol: ...

It's now a serious mission and flights are booked with a couple of days in Jordan. Highly recommend splashing out if anyone's looking for a pre-Xmas break.. never know when it'll get difficult to party in the Paris of the East again :(

Easyjet now fly to Amman from Gatwick making it much cheaper than it has been at times in the past to visit.

I'm hoping Ibiza April to October, and if i some how manage it, Australia November to January! :)

Back