Cheap Supermarkets

Ferd

Where do the locals buy the groceries from in Ibiza Town? I know in mainland spain you have massive stores on the outskirts of the cities like Continente or Carrefour.

Is there anything like that in ibiza?

I'm sick and tired of spending twice the amount in jet supermarket or in the Spars in pdb.

thanks

unhappily the island government have a total downer on unfair competition to local businesses in the retail sector - though this now has to change because of a recent legal decision - http://www.ibiza-spotlight.com/news/2007/carry_on_190307_i.htm - so we don't have any big efficient supermarkets here. the hipercentro on the main road is the nearest we have to a giant supermarket.
if you're in the pdb area you could go over to figueretes where lidl and eroski are - much cheaper than your local holiday convenience store.

unhappily the island government have a total downer on unfair competition to local businesses in the retail sector - though this now has to change because of a recent legal decision - http://www.ibiza-spotlight.com/news/2007/carry_on_190307_i.htm - so we don't have any big efficient supermarkets here. the hipercentro on the main road is the nearest we have to a giant supermarket.
if you're in the pdb area you could go over to figueretes where lidl and eroski are - much cheaper than your local holiday convenience store.

thanks for the tip 8)

There is a Lidl in Evissa Town. You can see it by the big roundabout if you use GoogleMap. Also, just up the hill from Lidl there is a very cheap Supermarket just around the corner. There are no signs to indicate it is a s/market but just look for the locals carrying generic plastic bags. We did self catering in PDB and bought all our stuff in there, after getting a taxi back to the apartment we still reckoned to have saved 60 or 70 euros on the trip - that's a lot of beers. just checked on google maps, it's on one of the streets that link Avenida de San Jose de sa Talaia and Carrer del music Fermi Mari.

Hope this helps.

Thorne

if you want local produce fruit, veg, meat and fish, try san an's indoor market in the centre of town - it's signposted - and the farmers' market near the curry club for fruit, veg, and flowers. don't be put off by the non-uniform appearance of the produce, it's the taste that counts!

i will definitely be looking for those places, what signposts should i look for, bit of a language dumb ass...

What about buying food in the san antonio area? any good markets close by?

There is a small supermarket in San Antonio, but Im going to be completely useless here and say I cant remember exactly where it is!!:oops:

Ok try and describe it! When you go towards Cala Bassa and them its the main rd before you turn to go there! Its not huge but its cheaper than the small shops :D lol hope that made sense!! :lol:

shopping update.

for some reason most of the syps are now using the eroski brand as their main name ( i think a lot of syps were amalgamations of different supermarket chains) and the syp on the map under excelsior is now a suma

does that make sense

Are there any other supermakets apart from the Spar and the JET ones in PDB? cant be aresed to go food shooping on Ibiza town:lol:

For good local produce you should definitely go to one of the markets in Ibiza Town, Sta Eulalia or San An. They're far better and cheaper than any of the supermarket chains. It is slightly more difficult than shopping in a supermarket because things don't come ready-wrapped so you have to communicate with the locals who run the stalls rather than just slinging stuff into a trolley. Don't worry though the stallholders understand the international language of the pointy finger.

Do check out the markets while you still have the chance. A recent legal ruling will open the floodgates to supermarket chains that will probably kill off these traditional markets.

It's a shame because one of the pleasures of living in Ibiza is that it's not a seven-day-a-week consumer society. Most shops shut at lunchtime, Saturday afternoon and Sunday. You still get your shopping done. It just doesn't expand to fill the time available. Memories of miserable Sundays spent traipsing round shopping centres in Britain still make me shudder.

I found a great little supermarket driving from Cala d'hort to San Josep. Of absolutely no use to anyone in this thread, but it was a great find 8)

Was dying of thirst after stupidly clambering about trying to find a good spot to see Es Vedra without any water for a few hours.

There's a small supermarket in Figueritas that's more reasonable than those in PDB. It's mainly a drink store, but they do food, fresh meat, fish, bread, milk etc.

I always go to a supermarket in Ibiza Town, just near Bisbe Gonzalez Abarca.

Back