Champions League Final

Jonny68

AC Milan v Liverpool, 23rd May 2007,Athens.

I'm hoping it's a good game although i think Liverpool might try and snuff them out, but i think Milan will be too strong, overall they have far superior players and i believe class will shine through in the end,, cant say i like either team but id give preference to Milan.:)

Athens expects as final draws near

Wednesday, 23 May 2007 by Michael Harrold from Athens

A group of Liverpool FC supporters camped out in Syntagma square in central Athens had already decided on their hero. "Carraghercules" read one banner in praise of the defender who has played such a powerful role in guiding Liverpool to the verge of a sixth European Champion Clubs' Cup triumph.
Legend
For Liverpool's opponents in Wednesday's UEFA Champions League final, Athens is already a place of legend. It was here in 1994 that Dejan Savićević inspired an AC Milan team including the evergreen Paolo Maldini to their fifth European crown. Thirteen years on, the Rossoneri are chasing their seventh, one they came so close to landing in Istanbul two years ago. Talk of the psychological impact of Liverpool's dramatic victory in 2005 has dominated the build-up to this rematch, yet Milan coach Carlo Ancelotti insists it will have no bearing, saying: "That game is history. This will be different."
'Amazing'
Opposite number Rafael Benítez concurred: "The 2005 final was amazing, the best in the history of the competition. I don't think we'll see a game like that; if we do, I'll need a doctor. It's a difficult game for both teams and I don't think we'll see a lot of goals." The Spaniard made a similar prediction in Istanbul and could not have been more wrong. In an epic contest, Liverpool recovered from 3-0 down at half-time to prevail on penalties. Seven of the Milan side and six from the Liverpool team that started two seasons ago are likely to be involved again from kick-off. The clubs know each other well, but neither coach will be tailoring his style to suit the opposition, even in Benítez's case when it comes to stopping the tournament's leading scorer. "We know Kaká is a very good player, but our system is not to mark him individually. We mark zonally and try to control the play, the ball and the space."
Zenden doubt
Boudewijn Zenden is Benítez's main injury concern, though the Dutch international trained at the OACA Spyro Louis Stadium on Tuesday and should be fit. Harry Kewell is another option while up front Benítez may deploy talisman Steven Gerrard in behind Dirk Kuyt. For Milan, Maldini is expected to battle through the pain of a knee problem to make his record-equalling eighth final appearance and in attack Ancelotti will choose between Filippo Inzaghi, who trained alongside Kaká and Clarence Seedorf on Tuesday, and Alberto Gilardino.
'Confident'
Both coaches appeared calm as they faced the press for the last time before kick-off. At last the talk is over; it will simply come down to who performs best on the night. Benítez urged Liverpool to continue in the same vein that brought victories against FC Barcelona and Chelsea FC en route to the final. "We're here because we've been doing the right things. We can be confident and calm. We've done the job, now we must try to enjoy it. If you do the right things and win then perfect, but don't leave the pitch with regrets." For Ancelotti, the match represents the end of a long journey that began in testing circumstances. When Milan lost here to AEK Athens FC in the group stage an eleventh final appearance seemed unlikely, but they proved any doubters wrong. "What has emerged is great harmony with the team and with the club," Ancelotti said. "That's the main reason we reached the final. We've just faced problems and solved them. That gives us strength and motivation. We're very strong at the moment."

http://www.uefa.com/competitions/ucl/fixturesresults/round=2361/match=300099/report=pr.html

AC Milan v Liverpool, 23rd May 2007,Athens.
but i think Milan will be too strong, overall they have far superior players and i believe class will shine through in the end

My prediction was right, Milan 2 -1 Liverpool, not a great game at all but overall Milan were the better side just about although Liverpool done well the first half, Inzaghi was fantastic and that through ball for his second was sublime so i suppose well done Milan..

Celtic will be back next year:oops: :lol:

Yeah, all credit to Milan. I think all the talk beforehand of Milan outclassing Liverpool was a bit premature, id say it ended up being the other way around. Im pretty gutted to be honest, Im not a Liverpool fan but i look out for them. That 1st goal was unlucky to lose, never really got back into their stride, but Inzaghi's second was sheer class. Great run, great through ball and a fantastic finish.

I though (like most folks probably) that Liverpool might do it, but injury time seemed to end a bit abruptly. Good game, pissed all over last weekend's game.

Yeah, all credit to Milan. I think all the talk beforehand of Milan outclassing Liverpool was a bit premature, id say it ended up being the other way around. Im pretty gutted to be honest, Im not a Liverpool fan but i look out for them. That 1st goal was unlucky to lose, never really got back into their stride, but Inzaghi's second was sheer class. Great run, great through ball and a fantastic finish.

I though (like most folks probably) that Liverpool might do it, but injury time seemed to end a bit abruptly. Good game, pissed all over last weekend's game.

It wasn't a great game at all mate, sure it was better than last weeks borefest but overall in terms of a good game id give it 6 out of 10 and that's being generous.

Milan

Pirlo is purely there for free-kicks nowt else
Seedorf is soooooo finished
Kaka was quiet tonight but a few glimpses of possibly the best player on the planet

Liverpool

too many passengers
Pennant is garbage
Alonso is overrated
Gerrard was too far forward
Kewell was a disgrace

and what was Benitez ranting about???
20 secs more? what about the offside goal they got!!

Not a great game but not the worst ever

:eek::lol::lol:

644caxebn5ny7.jpg

Milan, worthy Champions, were just about the better team, and to score the 1st goal when they did, was a little fortunate!! Liverpool, was it the right team selection, and should Crouch have come on alot earlier??

and what was Benitez ranting about???
20 secs more? what about the offside goal they got!!

Manchester won a Champions League scoring two goals in the very last three minutes.

From an impartial point of view, the referee seemed a bit italianised

I thought Liverpool were the better team on the night, but you need luck on your side in finals. Milan were very very poor. How many balls did they lose in defence and midfield?!!!

Liverpool's major problem was their wingers. Pennant's crossing was awful all night, and Zenden didnt do anything at all.

Dont think you can blame Alonso or Mascherano, they bossed the midfiled. And I hope people can also point their finger at Gerrard. I realise he's saved them many times, but last night he missed the only golden chance they had when it really counted. Similar to Henry last year for Arsenal.

i would disagree

The first 2 bookings were Milan players but Alonso & Agger had far worse incidents waved away by the ref

Whats booking? Yellow cards?

I don't mean yellow cards, I mean minor faults that were for Liverpool but other minor ones by Milan were not marked or whatever it's the verb you use in it :lol:

And I think the time show was pathetic, the last MIlan change took ages and the referee was showing his watch which made everyone think that he was going to discount that time and then he finally ends the game 40 seconds in advance. As I said before, football it's not basketball, but it wouldn't be first time that a team scores at the very end of the game

And I think the time show was pathetic, the last MIlan change took ages and the referee was showing his watch which made everyone think that he was going to discount that time and then he finally ends the game 40 seconds in advance. As I said before, football it's not basketball, but it wouldn't be first time that a team scores at the very end of the game
Benitez was livid about this... walked around holding his watch in the air for a good 15 minutes after the match finished! He's right, of course (though it didn't look like they were really threatening to score an equalizer)

IMO the match was ok liverpool control the ball more milan got lucky on the first score. Liverpool had chances but were unlucky. Milan took advantage of every chance. Milan did not out class liverpool and the liverpool side was better than the 2005 side that won it all. At the end of the day sometimes it is better to be lucky then good.

Benitez was livid about this... walked around holding his watch in the air for a good 15 minutes after the match finished! He's right, of course (though it didn't look like they were really threatening to score an equalizer)

I doubt they would scored again, but you never known.

Back