Central Heating- On or Off?

diver

You may think that this question may be better placed on Martins Money Save Forum.

But, I have not fired up the boiler yet this Autumn as it has been really mild in the North West of the UK in Sept/Oct.

Most years I see how long I can go before cranking up the Russian supplied gas. Its a bit of a challenge I have with myself in our fun filled domestic life. One year I got till November and I may crack it again this winter. We do have a woodburner in our front room but this only gets lit on the odd chilly night.

So, what type of guidelines do you go by? For example I know a lot of people who turn it on in September regardless and then have all the windows open to help heat up the street.

Mine went on for a couple of days in September when it went a bit cooler (much to the husbands disgust), then off again until Thursday last week. My Victorian terrace will now remain at the same temperature of about 18c until around April next year no matter how much I turn the heating up :lol:

Mine went on for a couple of days in September when it went a bit cooler (much to the husbands disgust), then off again until Thursday last week. My Victorian terrace will now remain at the same temperature of about 18c until around April next year no matter how much I turn the heating up :lol:

We have a 1930's semi which has the benefit of cavity wall insulation so we can be toasty warm mid winter.

We live in a warehouse and any heating we put on escapes almost instantaneously.

We just wear MANY layers!

We have no choice. All apartment buildings in the city are hooked up to the central heating system, piping steam (a byproduct of power generation) through our radiators. It's been on for about a month now and will stay on until temps hit a certain level (usually April).

If it gets too hot inside, people just open windows. If it's too cold, time to break out the space heaters!

I live in a fairly draughty flat with no central heating at all. The oil radiators we employ have been getting slowly notched up over the past few weeks. Today was particularly cold.

It's been bloody freezing up here in Yorkshire for a few weeks. Central heating been blasting out a good few weeks.

We're off on hols next week to Oman.

36 degrees there now, and I bet it will be full on Winterness by the time we're back.

We are trying not to give in yet - just wearing layers and warm clothes!

Gave in last night as had the girls over - couldnt see them sitting there shivering!

That's brave :D

We are in a converted Victorian house and the lounge is so fricking cold as it faces north - the one room you want to sit in at night too!! :confused:

Its our first winter after moving in so trying to not go too mad and have ferocious bills coming in!

Back