Cash In Hand Work - Is this common?

edxs

My girlfriend and I are staying on Ibiza 9-16 July. Thinking of staying longer, but we'd have to work. Oh - but wait, we're Americans. Getting paperwork as an American is a nightmare, so we said screw it - we'll go on vacation, and keep our ears open to any cash-in-hand jobs.

Her: Server/Waitress/Bartending experience of something like 8 years. She knows her way around a restaurant or bar.

Me: No experience in service industry, but I'm a freelance online marketing / social media guy. I've been working in agencies the last 4 years or so, and just taking a break before the next iteration of that. Not sure how that experience would apply to Ibiza, but hey ya never know.

SO, anyone have experience doing this sort of thing? Is it common to just show up and find jobs under the table?

Yep, cash in hand type work is common in Spain. You may have left it a little late for Ibiza however - most people who want to get a job in the summer usually rock up in May, that said, pound the streets and ask as many bar and restaurant owners as possible and you may get lucky.

I too would be interested on what you guys find. I'm American as well and interested in working the 2016 summer. Like you said OP getting papers is so hard i dont know if it would be worth it to try and find work there in the summer... Good luck with your search guys. BTW where are you guys from in the states?

When I was working out there cash in hand was quite common. Jobs became available throughout the season as people left or moved on.

Back