Cariteeee

agentundercover

opinions welcomed....

I'm doing the UK coast to coast bike ride in a couple of months. It's 120 miles.

Some nut jobs do it in 2 days. As we are a mixed bunch, & if i'm honest doing it as much for the banter as the riding - we are taking four.

I was thinking of doing it for charity, might as well take the opportunity to raise some....however when I said this the missus said:

- remember you always take the piss out of people who do things that aint that hard, in fact they want to do (sky diving sticks in my mind) yet demand a tenner
- your doing it to go on the piss

thing is, it will be hard - i can do a mtb trail no danger, but 30 miles a day X 4....ouch

question is to chariteee or not. buckers, you have an opinion on this....

Pay the entry fee yourself and then you are doing it for charity. It's an endurance feat, you'll be proud to complete it, so you'll gain from the experience.

- remember you always take the piss out of people who do things that aint that hard, in fact they want to do (sky diving sticks in my mind) yet demand a tenner
-

Sky diving is great experience which most people will enjoy. People that raise £300 'for charity', with £240 or whatever deducted for the cost of the jump, are just getting a great experience for nothing, off the back of other people's compassion.

If you are doing the event for the purpose of raising money for a charity you feel passionate about, then I think it's admirable

- examples on here:
weloveliam@space abseiling down that mountain when he was terrified of heights to raise money for his local kids charity and "mad about dogs" Babs raising money for the Dogs Trust.

But if you are doing the event anyway and are just looking to tag on a charity then I'm not so sure.

I'm doing four or five events this year and i don't intend to raise sponsorship for any, I'm just doing them for the hell of it! :lol:

C2C looks good though, lots of mates have done it as it finishes local to where i live.

The thing that really gets my goat is those "Race for Life" events. If one more person asks me for sponsorship for them to stroll round a park for 45 bloody minutes I'm going to shove their pink t-shirt where the sun don't shine!

The thing that really gets my goat is those "Race for Life" events. If one more person asks me for sponsorship for them to stroll round a park for 45 bloody minutes I'm going to shove their pink t-shirt where the sun don't shine!

Is it called that because they spend a lifetime completing what's essentially the equivalent to a nip to the shops?

At least you're doing something challenging though, people will sponsor you and it should spur you on to finish. I think something has to be at least fairly tough to be able to ask people to sponsor you. A friend of a friend has embarked on a 5yr bike ride round the world, he's currently in Ethiopia encountering cannibal tribes, wild lions etc etc. Now THAT deserves a sponsor! http://www.cyclingthe6.com/

A girl in my work sent round an email for Race for Life one month, then she decided to "run" it again the next month! I was thinking, are we just sponsoring your gym exercise for the month love! Needless to say I didnt sponsor her.

Back