Cards accepted

girlofthenight said:
Hi I dont have a credit card, only a Solo one :-( does that mean I cannot book tickets online? x

Not really answering your question, but I would never use a debit card online, no matter what the site or how safe it may be.

Solo is a crafty little card that only works in a handful of places in the real world, let alone on the internet.

StephenPowley said:
Not really answering your question, but I would never use a debit card online, no matter what the site or how safe it may be.

Solo is a crafty little card that only works in a handful of places in the real world, let alone on the internet.

:confused: I always use my visa debit online. Why wouldn't you?

Because banks offer little or no protection if your details are acquired by someone and then start spending your money.

With a Credit Card it isn't your in the first place and the company is legally obligated to charge back any money spent on your card that wasn't authorised by you

StephenPowley said:
Because banks offer little or no protection if your details are acquired by someone and then start spending your money.

With a Credit Card it isn't your in the first place and the company is legally obligated to charge back any money spent on your card that wasn't authorised by you

most banks will cover you if you details are stolen.

and there is just as much chance as getting your card copied when you use it in a shop as there is someone getting a keylogger onto your computer.

as long as you have a decent firewall and don't open dodgy emails you'll be fine. i've spent thpusands online, and do all my banking on the internet. i have never once had my details stolen.

Banks will cover you, yes, but you can't spend the money right away if you need because it isn't there anymore.

A credit Card bill wont come in for up to 6 weeks - and then it isn't your money you've lost.

I am only speaking from experience having had my CC details used, and a friend who has had money taken from his current account.

Firewalls won't always protect you - sometimes it's the fault of the vendor not using sufficient encryption.

hi stephen, i agree entirely with you about the need to be very careful about where you use you card online.

any reputable online shopping site has clearly visible security certificates (such as the verisign logo or the thawte logo). unfortunately not everyone is clear what the https means or that they can click on the little padlock in the bottom of the browser window to check the authenticity of the site.

the new Microsoft Internet Explorer browser, version 7 (just for info, nearly all of you reading this post will be using version 6), which should be out later this year will make it much easier to see which sites have genuine security certificates and which ones use the recommended level of encryption.

we spend a lot of money every year to have our identity guaranteed and authenticated by Verisign. you can see the verisign logo clearly on our checkout pages.

however, i suppose a lot of it comes down to how much confidence the site gives, and a verisign certificate alone is no guarantee of credit card security.

we never keep credit card numbers. a club ticket transaction on our site goes like this:

> credit card details are encrypted at 128 bit (would take a very powerful computer weeks to unencrypt),
> then they are sent to the bank along a secure SSL connection, they are verified and charged,
> then the numbers are deleted.

we never see or capture any credit card details.

fraudulent use of visa cards

if your visa card is stolen and used fraudulently, you are only liable for the first 50 EUR of your loss. check with your bank about other cards.

Just to reassure people too - we bought quite a few tickets of Spotlight and have had no problems at all.

Great job guys!

james said:
hi stephen, i agree entirely with you about the need to be very careful about where you use you card online.

any reputable online shopping site has clearly visible security certificates (such as the verisign logo or the thawte logo). unfortunately not everyone is clear what the https means or that they can click on the little padlock in the bottom of the browser window to check the authenticity of the site.

we spend a lot of money every year to have our identity guaranteed and authenticated by Verisign. you can see the verisign logo clearly on our checkout pages.

it is very easy to spoof the verisign certificate and the padlock. i've seen people doing that with a few lines of https coding. and the https extention in the address bar doesnt mean anything. however most of the credit cards are stolen using troyans nowadays as most of the web shops are now using 128bit encryption with their own keys. so tune your firewall for flagging every outgoing connection from your computer and you are safe in 95 percent of the cases. but it is still best to ask your card issuer to block any online transactions without you authorizing it over the phone to be 100% safe. unless someone skims your card and uses it in the supermarket of course.

ps. online fraud was the title of my graduation project :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back