Card charges for travel tickets to be banned

WeLuvIbiza

Hidden card charges for travel tickets to be banned.

Travel companies have been ordered to end the use of hidden surcharges for passengers paying by card.

The lost revenue will be doubtless added to flight costs, but at least the overall cost is slightly more transparent.

(Full article (c) bbc )
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-13932299

Will they really be any more expensive though? I mean, all the charges are hidden, they will just get added another one. So long as the crooks like Ryan Air do away with Online Check In charges.
And considering it's mandatory to check in online with them, they should of added that to the ticket cost anyway!

hidden schmidden. thanks to ryanair, easyjet and the like air travel is now a fraction of its former cost, even after all the 'extras' have been added on. how can you call anyone a crook who's selling you a flight 50% cheaper than it was 10 years ago?

It's just the way they go about it, Stephen.
Ikoda gave a great example - if you're going to be charged for something that they require you to do anyway, just put it in the price of the ticket and stop mucking around!

i don't think it matters. i know they're going to add on all sorts so i know i'm not getting a flight for 10 quid. why get worked up about something you have no control over and you know is going to happen?

I have no issue paying it, stephen, I just hate the fact that they don't show you until your about to accept the cost and pay the fares. As a consumer, I'd far rather know the cost of something up front. Not get a great price, then watch it grow as I pay for mandatory things.

British Airways beat Easyjet imho on domestic flights, and KLM are great to get to Amsterdam. Prefer flying with them then Easy Jet, and I hate flying with Ryanair. On Ryanair, It's not economy... Even cattle have more room to move around than you do on their fleet.

Ikoda gave a great example - if you're going to be charged for something that they require you to do anyway, just put it in the price of the ticket and stop mucking around!

i fully agree with you morbs, but it's marketing tactics. many people only compare the basic flight fares before they decide on which company they want to fly. obviously every airline tries to keep their basic airfares as low as possible to be competitive. the $urpri$e comes once people book...

still, i'd prefer it a 1000 times if you'd be able to see the total cost including EVERYTHING from the very beginning instead of having to crawl through all the sh*t.

the only reason that ba and klm are now cheaper is because of the competition, believe me, 10 years ago those arilines charged whatever they wanted!

I don't dispute that, they were more expensive. And I praise the low cost air liners for bringing to the giants down to our level.

But I do happen to like them, as at least they are up front with all their charges. I also get more leg room... and a free drink ;)

i fully agree with you morbs, but it's marketing tactics. many people only compare the basic flight fares before they decide on which company they want to fly. obviously every airline tries to keep their basic airfares as low as possible to be competitive. the $urpri$e comes once people book...

still, i'd prefer it a 1000 times if you'd be able to see the total cost including EVERYTHING from the very beginning instead of having to crawl through all the sh*t.

Agree wholeheartedly. I just booked flights with Jet2, they have a big banner proclaiming "All taxes and surcharges now included in fares". Ah, a step in the right direction I thought, well sort of, but; check-in and card charges are still mandatory 'extras'!

If someone wants to check-in at the airport, let that be an added extra and the base fare to include on-line check-in fees, it's not as though it's an optional cost.

Jet2 do offer a better service than Ryanair overall in my experience, and yes, we should be grateful for the competition the low cost carriers have created. When we lived in Jersey (CI), the local government would not allow the low cost carriers a licence as they believed it would lead to a 'chav type tourist' invading the island:lol::lol: (This has since changed).

the words mountains and mole hills spring to mind here. i'm as relaxed as a relaxed thing about all this extra charges malarky, i've got other things to worry about. i get a good flight at a good price and if i suddenly woke up mid flight i'd have no idea if i was on iberia or jet2

Back