Car hire etc in December - pls help?

KWinberry

Hi there forumites,
I am sure I can trawl the net to find these answers, but thought to come to you, direct.

I have booked to visit for four days from Thursday 26th December (Boxing Day) to Sunday 29th Dec. This is part of 'Operation Move to Ibiza 2014', as I want to scope it out before making major plans to leave the UK.

So my questions for you are:

1) is this foolish? is it a seriously dark and lonely time to be there? (I have no idea what to expect - and have gleaned bits from other threads but still not sure)...
2) is there a car hire place that is open off-season?
3) do taxis operate on public holidays?

I really enjoy dipping into the forums as a refreshing reminder about why I want to live there...

Thanks
Kath

1, Depends on the weather, If it`s nice (and it has been for last 7 years AFAIR) There will be plenty of locals out,
2, Yes
3, Yes (apart from when they go on strike,,,, Like they were a few years ago when I came out of Underground @10am on new years morning, To face a somewhat twisted 20k+ walk home)

Tim

PS, I did not have to walk it, Stick thumb out, 2nd car stopped, He was not going anywhere near where I wanted to be, But took me home anyway :)

It will be fine. Car hire's pretty cheap over the winter. Check sites like doyouspain

Bit of a tangent but I love picking hitch-hikers up here, wouldn't dream of it in the UK.

Doyou, Be careful with fuel policies if you are only here for a few days, A lot on there will charge you €60 + for " full tank" bring it back empty, (It`s a ryanair type trick, the rental is very cheep, you pay the €€€ for petrol) It is near on impossible to use it & if you did it would still not be the amount you were charged,
Hitch hikers, After my NYD experience, Often pick them up :)

I used DYS for a 7 day hire during October,their policy has changed in recent years and you can now choose from a small list of suppliers, and for fuel; full/empty or full/full. Obviously chose f/f. When picking the car up the tank was showing empty! After a 30 second 'discussion' we settled on like for like. €30 in the tank....320km driven, empty/empty not so bad.

Hiper will do you a full to full policy if you ask them. Email them at
contacto@hiper-rentacar.com

Ask for politica de gasolina : lleno - lleno.

I'd recommend them. Used them twice and both times been very accommodating and understanding when the cars were returned with some minor damage (not my fault).

Hi all,
Thanks for the tips and tricks. We got 'done' last time with the fuel scheme - but it worked in my favour as I was keen to explore the island, and my husband prefers to lie on a beach all day... But! with a full tank of gas, 7 days of sunshine and a crumpled map we got to see a huge amount (hence why I am so keen to return).
I'll look into these recommendations - and will read the fine print.

So that leaves me wondering where to go between Christmas and NYE (Thurs 26th - Sun 29th) ?

KWB

Back