Cancun

marko b

Going to Cancun on the 8th March for 2 weeks for a wedding. Has anyone been to Cancun before and can anyone remommend any good bars / clubs. Noticed Paul Van Dyk played at a nightclub called "the city" last year so i am keeping my fingers crossed I get the opportunity to see a top DJ, especially as many DJ's may already be over in that area as the Miami winter music conference is around that time.

Any help / advise would be much appreciated!

I was at that very night when Van Dyk played!

City is a decent club. It's huge... drinks in plastic cups and all that. We had a good nght there, though.

Must note that the locals are very into their trance... when I was there, both Van Dyk and Christopher Lawrence made appearances.

This page lists most of the main bars and clubs in town:
http://www.advantagemexico.com/cancun/nightlife.html

Actually, now that I check that page 14 months later, it's missing some of the info it had before and focusses only on the most touristy spots. Luckily I had that page saved in my travel folder... here are the listings that are missing:
---------------
El Alebrije: At La Isla entertainment center.
Azucar: Fiesta atmosphere with live Caribbean music. Camino Real Hotel.
Batach: Live tropical music, Caribbean setting. Miramar Mision Hotel.
La Boom: English pub-style decor (easily spotted by the Red London bus and old English tele box); holds up to 3500; high tech disco with nightly laser and light shows. L.F. Multi-level dance floor and several bars. Unique for its European feel. Every night there is a different theme from male hot body (Wednesday) to bikini contest (Friday). This may be the trendiest club in Cancun -- Located at Km 3.5
Caliente: Sports book and elegant restaurant/bar. Fiesta Americana Cancun.
Cancun Queen: Cruise the lagoon aboard an authentic Mississippi paddleboat. Live music, dancing, and dinner. Morning cruises as well. Tel. 85-2288.
Caribbean Carnival: Swashbuckling themed party cruise with costumes, buffet, and open bar. This is the original booze cruise. Check with Fat Tuesdays for departure time and book it when you do. It is more than just another cruise, so have them tell you about the wet T shirt contest on the island, the buffet, and more.
Cassis: Live jazz music at the Hyatt Cancun Caribe.
Christine: Cancun's premier club, featuring an enormous dance floor. Krystal Hotel.
El Mexicano: Restaurant/bar with spectacular beach view and romantic music.
Fat Tuesday: Funky restaurant with beach party atmosphere.
Liquid: Popular club with rock 'n roll, high tech lighting.
Mango Tango: Caribbean floorshow featuring live music and dance.
O Ultra Lounge: Elegance and chic surroundings make this ultra sexy lounge the perfect place to enjoy your evening and mingle between friends. A live DJ sets the tone with sultry sounds and great European influenced house blends, Chill Out, and deep house. The drinks and lounge menu offers an impressive selection of Exotic Martinis, Signature Cocktails, Bellini’s, Champagne and Premium Liquor. Savor delectable infusion-type appetizers and desserts artfully crafted into the most tantalizing delights. Essential to the “lounge” experience is the ambient music, tasty cocktails and most importantly the art of conversation. Open Thursday - Saturday 9 p.m. - 3 a.m.
Planet Hollywood: One of Cancun's newest and hottest nightclubs. Flamingo Plaza.
Senor Frogs: A restaurant by day and nightclub by evening. This place is almost always crowded with a famous sawdust dance floor and plastic yard glasses to fill with spirits. Known for fun contests, live bands and Karaoke. Located at Km 10.
Solarium: Great bar with live jazz music. Hyatt Regency Hotel.
Sports World Cafe: Sports book, dining/ bar with big screen, all sports, off-track betting.
Tequila Boom: Video bar playing mostly hip hop and rap. Good place to grab a few drinks and chill out.
The City: A capacity for over 4,000 with a beach party (brings capacity up to 15,000) during the day and three floors of wicked good fun (VIP lounge on the 3rd floor). This place was made to be the next generation of disco with a first rate laser light show, CO2, bubble, fog, balloon and serpentine machines, movable dance floors and dance shows.
Up and Down: "Up" is a cozy restaurant; "Down" is an ultramodern disco for 2,000 with spectacular special effects. Kukulcan Blvd.
Winners Sports Bar: (By Dady Rock) The ultimate American-themed Sports bar, this is the place to cheer for your favorite team. Plasma Televisions, giant screen, six live satellite signals, billiards, darts and more! The spot for a good ol' pint of beer, wholesome American grub, good company and a comfortable place to watch your favorite sports game. Open daily from 4 p.m. - 3 p.m. Saturday & Sunday from 11 a.m. - 3 a.m.
Zandunga Cantina Beach & Mexican Grill: Resturant/Bar; DJ's and live bands; mariachi shows. The acclaimed Ballet Folklorico showcases the different musical traditions of the various regions in Mexico. Dancers perform nightly (except Wed.) at a dinner show at the Continental Plaza Hotel, tel. 83-1022/85-1444.
How about an American movie? Plaza Kukulcan, La Isla, and Plaza Las Americas all have multiple screens showing the latest flicks. Tel. 85-30-21.
--------

You'll notice in a couple of the listings above that they mention xx km. That's the distance from the start of the hotel zone. The resort area is an island shaped like the number 7 with the actual city of Cancun on the mainland at the top left edge and most of the nightlife concentrated around the top right corner (the bend). The airport is down at the bottom end of the 7, where the road connects back to the mainland. Make sure you're staying on the seaside of the island and not the lagoon side (the inside of the 7)

My advice to you is to rent yourself a car and get around... we made side-trips to the ruins at Chichen Itza and Tulum, had a wonderful evening/dinner in Playa del Carmen, and took a day trip by ferry to Isla Mujeres. We also went into the city of Cancun a few times. I'd recommend all of those journeys as they really made what would have otherwise been a simple resort trip into a wonderful experience (the missus keeps saying she wants to go back!)

Have fun!

i have been going to cancun in feb/march time for the last 6 years, usually spend a month there, great info from morbyd, but due to the bad hurricane and a few other problems, quite a bit of the info is out of date... la boom is no more , neither is fat tuesdays..planet hollywood moved to la isla... i am going this year on 8th march too, slap bang in the middle of american spring break.. mtv will be there and many big djs and acts usually appear in the city club, a great site with upto date info and forums is www.cancuncare.com xxxx you will have a ball xxxx:lol:

I was at that very night when Van Dyk played!

City is a decent club. It's huge... drinks in plastic cups and all that. We had a good nght there, though.

Must note that the locals are very into their trance... when I was there, both Van Dyk and Christopher Lawrence made appearances.

This page lists most of the main bars and clubs in town:
http://www.advantagemexico.com/cancun/nightlife.html

Actually, now that I check that page 14 months later, it's missing some of the info it had before and focusses only on the most touristy spots. Luckily I had that page saved in my travel folder... here are the listings that are missing:
---------------
El Alebrije: At La Isla entertainment center.
Azucar: Fiesta atmosphere with live Caribbean music. Camino Real Hotel.
Batach: Live tropical music, Caribbean setting. Miramar Mision Hotel.
La Boom: English pub-style decor (easily spotted by the Red London bus and old English tele box); holds up to 3500; high tech disco with nightly laser and light shows. L.F. Multi-level dance floor and several bars. Unique for its European feel. Every night there is a different theme from male hot body (Wednesday) to bikini contest (Friday). This may be the trendiest club in Cancun -- Located at Km 3.5
Caliente: Sports book and elegant restaurant/bar. Fiesta Americana Cancun.
Cancun Queen: Cruise the lagoon aboard an authentic Mississippi paddleboat. Live music, dancing, and dinner. Morning cruises as well. Tel. 85-2288.
Caribbean Carnival: Swashbuckling themed party cruise with costumes, buffet, and open bar. This is the original booze cruise. Check with Fat Tuesdays for departure time and book it when you do. It is more than just another cruise, so have them tell you about the wet T shirt contest on the island, the buffet, and more.
Cassis: Live jazz music at the Hyatt Cancun Caribe.
Christine: Cancun's premier club, featuring an enormous dance floor. Krystal Hotel.
El Mexicano: Restaurant/bar with spectacular beach view and romantic music.
Fat Tuesday: Funky restaurant with beach party atmosphere.
Liquid: Popular club with rock 'n roll, high tech lighting.
Mango Tango: Caribbean floorshow featuring live music and dance.
O Ultra Lounge: Elegance and chic surroundings make this ultra sexy lounge the perfect place to enjoy your evening and mingle between friends. A live DJ sets the tone with sultry sounds and great European influenced house blends, Chill Out, and deep house. The drinks and lounge menu offers an impressive selection of Exotic Martinis, Signature Cocktails, Bellini’s, Champagne and Premium Liquor. Savor delectable infusion-type appetizers and desserts artfully crafted into the most tantalizing delights. Essential to the “lounge” experience is the ambient music, tasty cocktails and most importantly the art of conversation. Open Thursday - Saturday 9 p.m. - 3 a.m.
Planet Hollywood: One of Cancun's newest and hottest nightclubs. Flamingo Plaza.
Senor Frogs: A restaurant by day and nightclub by evening. This place is almost always crowded with a famous sawdust dance floor and plastic yard glasses to fill with spirits. Known for fun contests, live bands and Karaoke. Located at Km 10.
Solarium: Great bar with live jazz music. Hyatt Regency Hotel.
Sports World Cafe: Sports book, dining/ bar with big screen, all sports, off-track betting.
Tequila Boom: Video bar playing mostly hip hop and rap. Good place to grab a few drinks and chill out.
The City: A capacity for over 4,000 with a beach party (brings capacity up to 15,000) during the day and three floors of wicked good fun (VIP lounge on the 3rd floor). This place was made to be the next generation of disco with a first rate laser light show, CO2, bubble, fog, balloon and serpentine machines, movable dance floors and dance shows.
Up and Down: "Up" is a cozy restaurant; "Down" is an ultramodern disco for 2,000 with spectacular special effects. Kukulcan Blvd.
Winners Sports Bar: (By Dady Rock) The ultimate American-themed Sports bar, this is the place to cheer for your favorite team. Plasma Televisions, giant screen, six live satellite signals, billiards, darts and more! The spot for a good ol' pint of beer, wholesome American grub, good company and a comfortable place to watch your favorite sports game. Open daily from 4 p.m. - 3 p.m. Saturday & Sunday from 11 a.m. - 3 a.m.
Zandunga Cantina Beach & Mexican Grill: Resturant/Bar; DJ's and live bands; mariachi shows. The acclaimed Ballet Folklorico showcases the different musical traditions of the various regions in Mexico. Dancers perform nightly (except Wed.) at a dinner show at the Continental Plaza Hotel, tel. 83-1022/85-1444.
How about an American movie? Plaza Kukulcan, La Isla, and Plaza Las Americas all have multiple screens showing the latest flicks. Tel. 85-30-21.
--------

You'll notice in a couple of the listings above that they mention xx km. That's the distance from the start of the hotel zone. The resort area is an island shaped like the number 7 with the actual city of Cancun on the mainland at the top left edge and most of the nightlife concentrated around the top right corner (the bend). The airport is down at the bottom end of the 7, where the road connects back to the mainland. Make sure you're staying on the seaside of the island and not the lagoon side (the inside of the 7)

My advice to you is to rent yourself a car and get around... we made side-trips to the ruins at Chichen Itza and Tulum, had a wonderful evening/dinner in Playa del Carmen, and took a day trip by ferry to Isla Mujeres. We also went into the city of Cancun a few times. I'd recommend all of those journeys as they really made what would have otherwise been a simple resort trip into a wonderful experience (the missus keeps saying she wants to go back!)

Have fun!

Locals into there trance?? Right up your street marko!!
:D:D

Have fun!

Been to Cancun a few times, not for a few years though.

Is it Spring break while your there ? If so then :eek::eek::eek: Great if your young and single, not so if you're not !!

John, Did you get to Xcaret ? Amazing place (out of season).

Isla mujeres was lovely, definately recommend it, the shopping is quite good also, esp with the dollar and it being tax free 8)

Ah, old FF has dredged up an aging thread.

I didn't make it to Xcaret. The description of it as something akin to an eco-tourist park didn't pique my interest.

We were there for New Years.

i was there in 2000 ....Xcaret was highlight ..... if u go make sure u hang around for the show at dusk ....... thats if they still do it ..... ;)

i was amazed at the size of Cancun as well when there ...... cracking bus service that does a circular right enough, bus every 5 mins from your hotel doorstep 8)

i was there in 2000 ....Xcaret was highlight ..... if u go make sure u hang around for the show at dusk ....... thats if they still do it ..... ;)

i was amazed at the size of Cancun as well when there ...... cracking bus service that does a circular right enough, bus every 5 mins from your hotel doorstep 8)

Xcaret was amazing, esp the dolphin experience.

I've never known a bus service like it. Cheap as chips, and they're queuing to pick you up :eek:

Back