Calling all pedants - In Ibiza / On Ibiza

WeLuvIbiza

Which is correct, one or both?

A recent tv programme continually referred to "On Ibiza" I have always said "In Ibiza":confused:

There seems to be a trend at the moment for destroying the English language.

For example TOWIE is responsible for words being shortened. Like 'toats' for totally or 'beauts' for beautiful.

I've also seen examples of people missing out linking words. Rather than saying something is 'a different class' people are saying something is 'different class'. The letter 'a' has simply been chopped for no apparent reason.

Last night I heard someone ask a friend if they would 'write them'. Are you sure you don't them to 'write TO you'.

See what I mean? Or am I being ultra-pedantic. There must be countless other examples. Can anyone add any?

In your example it should be IN Ibiza. 'On' would imply that Ibiza is a simple noun and an object. When we know Ibiza is a proper noun and is the name of a place.

Last edited by a moderator:
There seems to be a trend at the moment for destroying the English language.

For example TOWIE is responsible for words being shortened. Like 'toats' for totally or 'beauts' for beautiful.

I've also seen examples of people missing out linking words. Rather than saying something is 'a different class' people are saying something is 'different class'. The letter 'a' has simply been chopped for no apparent reason.

Last night I heard someone ask a friend if they would 'write them'. Are you sure you don't them to 'write TO you'.

See what I mean? Or am I being ultra-pedantic. There must be countless other examples. Can anyone add any?

In your example if should be IN Ibiza. 'O'n would imply that Ibiza is a simple noun and an object. When we know Ibiza is a proper noun and is the name of a place.

Agree, mashednlovingit... ;)

American English "in Ibiza" or " on Ibiza island". The butchering of both English languages makes me wonder when I read things, what is going on.

I was there yesterday, neither in or on but unfortunately...under my car trying to fix it.

Still, the weather was great but now back in the Uk and have spent the day at work.
Would rather be back under my car in the sunshine, even the lizzards were out biting my toes. Roll on April.

The one that drives me nuts is improper use of the reflexive pronoun. It's especially bad in England these days.

Something like: "Would yourself like a cup of tea?" It's "you" damnit! :spank:

The one that drives me nuts is improper use of the reflexive pronoun. It's especially bad in England these days.

Something like: "Would yourself like a cup of tea?" It's "you" damnit! :spank:

Yourself? Who have you been hamging out with here Morbs, SuperD?

Back