Buying a car in Spain

dantboy

not to sure where to post this on the forum so mods can move it if it's in the wrong place :)
I'm wanting to buy a car in Spain/Ibiza for this summer, Will be leaving the uk mid to end of May (either mainland or Ibiza). I'm guessing buying a car in Ibiza it Wil be more expensive than mainland so does anyone have any advise? Don't want anything flash and my budget will be around 1500-2500 euros. What's the Spanish version of the logbooks etc? If anyone has any experience or contacts it's would be much appreciated :) thanks guys

make sure you buy one with spanish plates and mot passed (ITV here in spain).

maybe consider buying one in barcelona or alicante and then ferry over, still works out cheaper than buying on island in a lot of cases. but yes you will find an old car for around 2K

Nice one stivi, yea I thought it would defo be cheaper on the mainland. What about insurance, would it be best to use a Spanish company?

Nice one stivi, yea I thought it would defo be cheaper on the mainland. What about insurance, would it be best to use a Spanish company?

yes, spanish car, spanish insurance, spanish everything. also make sure the road/taffic tax had been paid when you take over the car! when you buy it. mention that to the seller.

Thanks stivi appreciate your help :) what's the Spanish version of the logbook? Defo gettin you a beer or three when I see u next!

what's the Spanish version of the logbook? Defo gettin you a beer or three when I see u next!

well there's two documents every vehicle needs to have, one is the 'permiso de circulación' (circulation permit) which is the basic sheet with all the infos about the vehicle. the second one is the 'tarjeta de inspección tecnica' which is the equivalent to the MOT document you have in the UK. you always have to have both docs in the car.

plus of course your driving license AND insurance papers too.

Pretty much thread closed on how to buy a car! Cheers stivi, just had a quick look online and there's sone decent ones. Best to start looking more nearer the time. See you in the summer :) thanks a lot

Ahh not quite thread closed.... You need an NIE and Empadron to get a car, you can't just turn up and buy a car, you have to prove you live somewhere.... Also in Ibiza there is a tax to pay ("You have to pay the Islas Baleares name change fee (€150-€1500 depending on engine size/pollution) and there is apparently an additional €400 tax if thecar is over 10yrs old...."), so if you're giving an Ibiza address (if that's what's on your Empadron), you have to factor in this extra money on top of the cost of your car...... (This applies even if you buy a car on the mainland and ship/drive it over to Ibiza, unless you have an address (Padron) on the mainland!)

Sorry to complicate matters, but thought you'd be better having the "hidden extras" outlined before you head over :)

http://balearics.angloinfo.com/information/transport/vehicle-ownership/car-buy-sell/

Thanks a lot for this, I already have an nie but only rent an apartment in Ibiza in the summer. Could I use that for my address? Or how do I get my empadron?

Just read through the link and you only need an nie or an empadron, not both I think, correct me if I'm wrong. But the other information about the hidden costs is good to know :)

To get an Empadron all you need to do is go to the Town Hall of the area you "live" in, with a rental contract and your NIE, and they put you on the "electoral roll". You get a piece of paper saying you live at that address.... I'm not sure if you need both to buy a car but better safe than sorry?

Hmmmm it's a bit of a tricky one then. I live in the UK and will be flying to mainland Spain to buy the car in mid may, then getting the ferry to Ibiza for the summer with the car. Don't really want to have to go to Ibiza/Mainland/Ibiza. The cost of doing that would make it as easy and probably of similar cost to just buy a car in Ibiza. Thanks again for your input :) i'm just glad i've started to think about this now and not just before I leave!!!!

How about driving over from the UK in a UK registered car? As long as the car isn't on the island for more than 6 months (although some get away with it for years! lol) UK plates are fine (and as long as the car is insured/taxed etc legally via the UK)... cars are infinitely cheaper to buy in the UK!!!
Failing that, yeah I'd hang on and buy one over here in Ibiza once you're settled.... (cars can cost over 100 euros one way on the ferry).... All things to consider :)

There are a few companies on the Island that can save you a lot in transfer costs, eg The most expensive is over 2500cc @ €1024.00, they can sort it for €260, less saving with lower cc, eg, 1600cc to 2000cc, €304, down to €200,
Tim

We're lookin at rental prices and they aren't that bad if you weigh everything up such as insurance/hassle etc. everyone has been very helpful on this thread! Appreciated very much! :)

Back