British Airways/West Coast America

Clara

Do they still do free booze for long-haul flights? Heading off to the West Coast of America with them in July - can't wait.

If anyone has any tips of things to see and do, let me know. Flying to Vegas and hiring a convertible and planning on doing the coast up to San Francisco as well as Yosemite, Death Valley, Grand Canyon...

Yes, drinks are free on BA.

Take highway 1 up through Monterrey and Santa Cruz rather than the 101 all the way.

Lovely drive, and if you have any Motor Racing fans on board, you can nip into Laguna Seca raceway (costs nothing). I saw testing for the Indy Cars and it was awesome. 8)

never been but would love to do it. Yes on the free booze although if your going economy, you may have to ask for it as opposed to them keep topping you up.

but dont pack anything that you dont mind not seeing for 6months ;)

When I stayed in LA we stayed in Manhattan Beach, it was a really nice area, quite posh but we had a great deal on a local Mariott through a family friend (we were down in LA as my sister in law was the bridesmaid and had bridal shower duties to attend to). If you were planning on hanging around LA I wouldn't put much emphasis on visitng Hollywood (not sure if you had anyway) as its a bit of a dump, most underwhelming place I've ever been to. Caught a great sunset from manhattan beach pier though, had dinner in a nice restaurant, the kettle? apparently britney spears favourite so you know you'll be in good company there ;)).

Highway 1 is ace. Didnt spend any time in Monterrey but my folks did, and they loved it. Santa Cruz is a cool place though, part of Lost Boys was filmed on the boardwalk there.

If you plan on visiting Alcatraz make sure you book it in advance, I missed out cause we hadn't. Theres a great cd/record shop at the end of Haight called Ameoba Records, its massive. Decent sized dance music section, lots of cheapness, well, I spent an hour and a half in there and only got through a third of what they had, plan on spending at least half a day there in October.

Cheers! Looks like we're going to hire a convertible Ford Mustang and do it in style. 8)

Cheers! Looks like we're going to hire a convertible Ford Mustang and do it in style. 8)
I had a mustang last year for Florida and can recommend avoiding them. They look and sound pretty good, but they're crap on corners and they're not particularly fast. Also the interior's crap. I had a Chrysler Seabring GT convertible the year before in LA and it was way better. Don't pay any extra for a mustang (unless you're getting a Shelby!)
I'm doing a similar trip to you in september - flying into Vegas, heading up through Death Valley, Yosemite, San Francisco, Pacific Highway 1 down to San Diego and Tijuana, then back up to Vegas and the Grand Canyon before home. Should be fun. Been to LA before and I didn't rate it, like someone else said, Hollywood is a real letdown. Venice Beach was alright for the day.
Oh and I'll be in Ibiza in 4 weeks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back