Bill Nicholson (Late but well deserved!)

I no its a bit late but I noticed that a subject had been posted about Emlyn Hughes but no one had done one for the Spurs legend Bill Nicholson.

The man was an absolute legend, he was to Tottenham what Shankly was to Liverpool, Clough was to Forest, Ferguson still is to United! Legends!

How he went through his life without receiving a knighthood for his services to football is a mystery and an absolute robbery! Yet people like Trevor Brooking quickly receive them!

What a start Bill made to his Spurs managerial career with the classic 10-4 victory over Everton. He taught Tottenham to play arguably the greatest football by an english team EVER! Although this is painful for me to say, back in the 60s Tottenham were the Arsenal of today, the football was just stunning.

He became the first manager in the 19th century to win the league and cup double, the first manager to win a European cup with an english team when he won the European Cup Winners Cup in 1963, as well as going on to win the Uefa Cup in 1972 and reach the final again in 1974

In his 13 years as Tottenham boss he won the league, FA Cup 3 times, League Cup, Cup Winners Cup and the Uefa Cup

He will always lay close to the hearts of every Tottenham supporter and to him, Tottenham owe an awful lot.

Rest In Peace Bill, I can see you now up there talking tactics with Danny Blanchflower

Thanks for everything

Good old Yorkshireman to boot ;)

He certainly achieved, but kept a low profile, that's why he wasn't massively well known. A knighthood would have been deserved I think.

Back