Bestival

I went in 2005 and had a thoroughly good time. Rob Da Bank built it up from nothing really, fusing the best elements of Glastonbury and Big Chill and the result is this very, very messy fancy dress party on rolling hills on the Isle of Wight. Everything feels quite trippy - the inflatable church, the women's institute tea tent, the secret disco, the Miniscule of Sound, the Find Bez competition, 20,000 people dressed as cowboys and indians in a field losing it to nightwriters let the music use you... I seem to remember a slightly demented Erol Alkan playing in a tent made to look like a wild west saloon bar and the place went off, also when Xpress II played possibly the finest set I've heard in the Bollywood Lounge. The Main Stage is more traditional - I never thought royksopp would ever cut it live but they were blinding. A large part of the fun is stumbling across folky, acoustic musicians you've never heard of. (see also Big Chill) Met a lot of lovely people (it can get a bit surrey/middle class, but I don't recall coming across a single dickhead there) and there was a really good vibe at the campsite. Take extra pegs because the ground can be very hard there! Downers: security can be numbskulls + if it rains, the drainage is bad, walks to site can be tiring, journey can take forever if you miss ferry and not easy to find people if you lose them, no mobile signal when I was there. Overall though, the most fun I know I will ever have at a festie and total commitment to first class music at all times. That was nearly 5 years ago though, the word will have spread, but reports are it's retained a lot of that lefty vibe and I would seriously recommend it.

I went in 2005 and had a thoroughly good time. Rob Da Bank built it up from nothing really, fusing the best elements of Glastonbury and Big Chill and the result is this very, very messy fancy dress party on rolling hills on the Isle of Wight. Everything feels quite trippy - the inflatable church, the women's institute tea tent, the secret disco, the Miniscule of Sound, the Find Bez competition, 20,000 people dressed as cowboys and indians in a field losing it to nightwriters let the music use you... I seem to remember a slightly demented Erol Alkan playing in a tent made to look like a wild west saloon bar and the place went off, also when Xpress II played possibly the finest set I've heard in the Bollywood Lounge. The Main Stage is more traditional - I never thought royksopp would ever cut it live but they were blinding. A large part of the fun is stumbling across folky, acoustic musicians you've never heard of. (see also Big Chill) Met a lot of lovely people (it can get a bit surrey/middle class, but I don't recall coming across a single dickhead there) and there was a really good vibe at the campsite. Take extra pegs because the ground can be very hard there! Downers: security can be numbskulls + if it rains, the drainage is bad, walks to site can be tiring, journey can take forever if you miss ferry and not easy to find people if you lose them, no mobile signal when I was there. Overall though, the most fun I know I will ever have at a festie and total commitment to first class music at all times. That was nearly 5 years ago though, the word will have spread, but reports are it's retained a lot of that lefty vibe and I would seriously recommend it.

All of the above. Plus Daivd Rodigan is playing this year.

Sadly I may in Liverpool that weekend :( but ;) :D:D:D

(Olly - you sure the Alkan thing wasn't Glasto? I remember Alkan tearing the arse out of it, as they say in Bromley, in Glasto in 05 in the Thursday night 8))

I wouldn't be surprised if Alkan did all the festies that summer - he seemed very prolific for a while. Seem to recall one instance where he dropped booka shade Mandarine Girl which he eqed to death through his legs whilst crouching down on the top of the deck table.

I wouldn't be surprised if Alkan did all the festies that summer - he seemed very prolific for a while. Seem to recall one instance where he dropped booka shade Mandarine Girl which he eqed to death through his legs whilst crouching down on the top of the deck table.

I think he got as far as using the cdj like a guitar, and, though it sounds ****, had the hot cues set up at 4 different points in the bass loop of Sweet Dreams and starting 'playing it' completely chopping it up but never missing a beat. Sounded proper good (yes, even Sweet Dreams).

Nothing but love for Bestival then?! :) Sounds amazing. My mate sold it to me as 'a more underground, more dance orientated Glastonbury' which sounds about perfect for me. I can't wait! 8)

Also absolutely loving the first 3 tunes on the Bestival main website, in particular Tensnake - 'Coma Cat', i really hope i get to hear it played there, it has such a funky summer feeling to it but is also stupidly large!

Last edited by a moderator:
who did u book your tickets through? was it with one of the ferry companies?

Yeah combined ferry and bestival tickets with Wightlink. Think redfunnel also have some standalone festival tickets available too. Amd Southern Vectis have combined coach travel and entry tickets. All the links are on the bestival website.

You thinking of going now Glade is cancelled?

yeah thinking bout it tho it looks like it all adds up abit with bestival . nd to make a descision this wknd

the contrast between the ferry out and the ferry back is quite amusing :D

I can imagine! People watching the gurning freaks at the end of a big festival is one of my favourite pastimes, although it is a bit disconcerting when you realise others are watching you for the same reason :D

Back