Barcelona help??

Discoallman

Flying out on Feb for a long weekend anyone got any hidden gems for food drink? Also what's best sites?
Camp nou tour 25e bit steep in 2 minds.

Thanks in advance :D

As a football fan the tour is worth it in my opinion- Mrs probably would not agree;)

Just enjoyed walking round the tight streets and gothic area east of Las Ramblas. The famous food market is worth visiting. Not sure if the fountain and light show is on all year but that's worth visiting.

We ate in expensive tourist traps from memory.

I'm sure something useful will come back to me later:confused:

OK, hope this helps:

bars/food
my fave food in BCN is Xampanyet on Carrer de Montcada, 22. It opens at 7pm with v limited seating. Get there at 6.30. the queue is worth it. the food/vibe is sensational (it's usually shut on sundays though)
best bar is Bar Marsella (for the absinthe/history), I really like Beirut too, also Betty Ford's, Fleadonia (you have to pay €3 on door to become a member but worth it). The real cool shit is around Born. Avoid the Ramblas - seriously horrible nowadays. if you venture out of the centre, there are thousands of cool bars in the Gracia area too - the alternative end of town which can get a bit 'crustie' but is generally a lot more interesting.

tourism
forget parc guell unless you book well in advance. it eats into your time and is overrun by tourists (see also sagrada familia), check out the geese in the cathedral, gaudi's houses on passeig de gracia are pretty cool but you'll have to queue. Culture-wise worth checking the CCCB and MACBA for exhibitions. If weather's good, get the tram up to Tibidabo or cable car up to Montjuic - views of city are really cool. extra points if you're with a love interest.. if you're around during the mardi gras, get the train to Sitges, about 40 mins south.

Nou Camp
museum's ok but I'd suggest only going to Nou Camp if there's a game on and even then only if some no-hoper side are visiting (like Granada or Leganes), otherwise it will be extortionate, tix will be inflated (legit or otherwise) and you may waste your time if you can't get in.

clubbing
check the barcelona threads already on here. i'm too old for razzmatazz and too antagonistic to the El Row or Opium experience but they are probably the biggest ones in town. I personally prefer Sala Apolo (for NITSA), MOOG, Macarena (great music but it is tiny) - there's also a new-ish night called Origins I need to check out too aimed at a more mature clientele & focusing on the 'future disco' side of things + the fortnightly Glove Party is really good fun too. if you just want convenient cheese then Karma on Placa Reial caters to your every need as do the various discos on calle aribau and the eixample area.

live music
sidecar, sala bikini

record stores
Discos Paradiso (top vinyl selection + loads of info there about one-off events etc)

general tips
watch bags/pockets at ALL times, when in barri gotic/raval. If you buy beer on street, remember to clean rim, it will have been stored in a nearby sewer! (they will almost certainly offer other things too - exercise discretion). If you need the cops, the best comisaria is on Carrer Nou de la Rambla.

Might be making a return to Barcelona this year - with a couple of colleagues. :eek: Could be interesting... One of them suggesting is we stay by the beach. Is that a good area to stay?

Might be making a return to Barcelona this year - with a couple of colleagues. :eek: Could be interesting... One of them suggesting is we stay by the beach. Is that a good area to stay?

the ayuntamiento are supposed to be clamping down on airbnb (due to hotels complaining about unfair competition and locals/neighbours complaining about the noise in Barceloneta - there was an outcry when some Italian streakers ran through the streets a few years back) but there are still a lot of apartments available in Barceloneta and Poblenou (if you want a sea view)

Just booked a week in BCN for July this year. Staying in Poble Nou. Like the sound of this origins night.

Yeah just didn't think 50e is worth the
Tour I've done it before so doubt the Mrs will want to do it. Think am just going to explore see where it takes me and defo avoid la ramblas for food and drink. Hopefully I will find my own off beaten track. Cheers for the info all areas are noted to find :)

If you've already done the tour then aye, probably not worth it.

Would definitely advise getting to a game though if there's one on, it's the one thing I regret not doing.

Sagrada Familia, although hugely touristy and surrounded by beggars and pick pockets, is still a must do imo.

Can also pay a couple of Euros and get a lift to the top of the Colombus monument down by the waterfront off Ramblas to get a decent aerial view.

moodymann and carl craig are doing detroit love in Feb, which on paper would seem the perfect way to see in my 42nd

........ until I checked out some of the comments on the last one...!

https://www.residentadvisor.net/event.aspx?888208

just confirms my view of hyped, branded events cos you know they're about the money - so many greedy promoter bastards these days latching on to whatever they think is cool.

I wouldn't stay any further from the city than barceloneta. Too dark around the beach at night, not much happening, lots of people you don't wanna see on a night out and too far from city centre. I think the best all round area is at plaza catalunya.

Back