Bank Account / NIE

bellsniff

Hi guys, wonder if you can clarify something for me -

I know you have to go in the bank to pay the tax on the NIE, does this mean you need a bank account to do so? Or do u require an NIE before you can open an account?

Cheers :)

you'll need an nie to open a bank account. the banks give a summary of your account to the tax authorities via your nie number - ie interest earned, mortgage paid, that sort of thing. yourself or your employer also provide information about your earnings. you only pay a nominal amount of tax every month via your salary.

the tax year is the calendar year and all the info for the previous year has to be received by march/april. the tax people calculate how much you owe or are owed and you pay this via the bank.

the tax limit is quite high in spain so i've never ever paid tax. this year i've got a rebate of 5 cents. i can choose to receive this, give it to the church, or leave it with the tax authorities. as it will cost me about 3 euros on the phone to choose any option, i've decided to keep schtum.

i think the original question is about the 6 euro (??) fee you pay when you apply for the NIE.

the answer is no, you don't need an account, you just take the form, which you get from the police station, to any bank and pay the fee, then take the receipt back to the police station when you apply.

I didn't need an NIE to open my bank account, just go into the bank and ask for a non resident account and just give them your passport. I still need to sort out my NIE, been wayyyy...... to lazy with my time in Ibiza. need to get my finger out and get my NIE next month.

hi can someone tell me if you renew your passport do you have to go to get a new NIE number as I am trying to get internet access with my bank in Ibiza and they wont give it me as I have renewed my passport and therefore they said my Nie number is invalid and I need a new one thanks

a nie number is for life, not just for christmas. your passport has nowt to do with your nie.

HI guys - still having problem with my bank and the fact they refuse to speak in english - I can speak spanish a little but they are speaking so fast _ I cant quite catch it - can you recommend one of your banks that I dont need an NIE to open it just my passport and they speak english - even a little - many thanks..I am getting more and more frustrated as they are still insisting I have to go to the police station - even though i opened this account 6 years ago with my nie - They wont give me internet access until I go to the police station for a renewal . I did have internet access but as I hadnt used it for 6 months they cancelled it- am I missing something here? - you all seem to have no problems

Sorry for straying off-topic but does having an NIE/Residence Card enable you to get discounts on ferry travel to Formentera, Barcelona etc?

If so, does anyone know what sort of amounts are we talking about?

Thanks.

only a residencia will get you a 50% discount on flights and ferries for passengers only

hi guys thanks for the reply .Its the Cam bank in San Joan. I've never tried the larger branches in san An or Ibiza town . Do you think they would be different in there?

our Santander branch in Ibiza Town had an international banker who was fantastic (helped that he was from UK originally) and sorted any problems out for us

Back