bank account and accommo

lubeskywalker

does any1 know if it is possible to open a bank account on the island, as i plan to stay there for the duration of the summer, and dont wana have to carry all my cash about with me...also in regards to accommodation and work, is there many jobs on the island that come with accommodation, im sure these r probaly few and far between...if any other ppl r planning on arriving on the island about the end of may/start of june give me a hola as im sure its gona be like a rat race to find work and accommodation....contact me on bebo as well at:

http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=1569690172

cheers yall and hopfully see yall out there and just pray that this work out...I wana rock Ibzia for as long and as hard as possible, and im sure many of u do also, so lets bring it on...lol cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
you'll be able to open a bank account with the magic nie number. if you're getting a job you'll need the magic nie number for that too.

cheers stephen

you'll be able to open a bank account with the magic nie number. if you're getting a job you'll need the magic nie number for that too.

cheers for the info stephen, but do u mind me asking wat the Magic Nie number is...sum kind of national insurance i persume...wat is magic about it...can it do tricks lol

cheers for the info stephen, but do u mind me asking wat the Magic Nie number is...sum kind of national insurance i persume...wat is magic about it...can it do tricks lol

everyone in spain needs an NIE or NIF to work, own a bank account, buy a house, etc. the E in NIE is extranjero (for foreigners) and the F in NIF is fiscal.

it is very similar to our national insurance number. so is used for identification in terms of payment of tax, etc

everyone in spain needs an NIE or NIF to work, own a bank account, buy a house, etc. the E in NIE is extranjero (for foreigners) and the F in NIF is fiscal.

it is very similar to our national insurance number. so is used for identification in terms of payment of tax, etc

Hey grego is it not correct you need to have a job offer or a contract to obtian an NIE as in the past last year 2006, or can you get one for instance say you just wanted to open a bank account with no job offer.

Once youv got the magic nie i know it opens up volumes bank accoun, buy a house, medical insurance and great club passes for workers.

Powerwilly

Hey grego is it not correct you need to have a job offer or a contract to obtian an NIE as in the past last year 2006, or can you get one for instance say you just wanted to open a bank account with no job offer.

Once youv got the magic nie i know it opens up volumes bank accoun, buy a house, medical insurance and great club passes for workers.

Powerwilly

yep in 2006, and only in ibiza, you needed to have a pre-contract from an employer that you needed to take to the police station in order to obtain the NIE.

you have to give a valid reason for obtaining an NIE, however opening a bank account is not one.
the police station would say
  • why do you want a bank account - answer: to put money in.
  • where is the money coming from - answer: a job.
  • ok then where are you working. answer: i haven't got a job
  • well when you find one and get a pre-contract, then we can you give an NIE and then you can open a bank account.
vicous circle.:rolleyes:

tricky issue

yep in 2006, and only in ibiza, you needed to have a pre-contract from an employer that you needed to take to the police station in order to obtain the NIE.

you have to give a valid reason for obtaining an NIE, however opening a bank account is not one.
the police station would say
  • why do you want a bank account - answer: to put money in.
  • where is the money coming from - answer: a job.
  • ok then where are you working. answer: i haven't got a job
  • well when you find one and get a pre-contract, then we can you give an NIE and then you can open a bank account.
vicous circle.:rolleyes:

thanks for the info guys, well apperciated...but is ibzia not part of spain...i think it is, and spain is a member of the European Union...i am a citizen of the United Kingdom which is also a member of the European Union...Therefore i thought i had the same Citizenship Rights as a Spanish citizen, that was one of the main reasons ive decided to cum to Ibzia and not LA California...i duno wat the craic is at all...either u do hav the same rights as a Spanish citizen (which wud allow us to work there and open a bank account) or u dont...and i think we do under EU legislation...rather tricky issue, i think...u guys probaly know alot more about it than me, since u been there before, so any additional advice/information is more than welcome, cheers

lubeskywalker and PowerWillyNo1Dancer1

Together at last! (well, in the same thread!)

Cracking names guys ;)

thanks for the info guys, well apperciated...but is ibzia not part of spain...i think it is, and spain is a member of the European Union...i am a citizen of the United Kingdom which is also a member of the European Union...Therefore i thought i had the same Citizenship Rights as a Spanish citizen, that was one of the main reasons ive decided to cum to Ibzia and not LA California...i duno wat the craic is at all...either u do hav the same rights as a Spanish citizen (which wud allow us to work there and open a bank account) or u dont...and i think we do under EU legislation...rather tricky issue, i think...u guys probaly know alot more about it than me, since u been there before, so any additional advice/information is more than welcome, cheers

being an EU citizen means you don't need a work permit/visa to work in Spain. there is free movement of workers but you still need to registered/identified for tax purposes, for example. hence the reason for the NIE. when you have the NIE, you have the same employment rights as a spanish national.

it is a bit of pain that you need the pre-contract but when you think about it, it shouldn't be problematic. all you do is look for a job in the normal way and then if you find one, get a pre-contract and go get your number. most employers will be aware of this procedure.

i'm sure there is exactly the same thing in the UK for EU citizens who want to work, they have to obtain something similar to our national insurance number.

in the Uk, unlike spain, you can open a bank account (basic only) without this number.

cheers grweg

being an EU citizen means you don't need a work permit/visa to work in Spain. there is free movement of workers but you still need to registered/identified for tax purposes, for example. hence the reason for the NIE. when you have the NIE, you have the same employment rights as a spanish national.

it is a bit of pain that you need the pre-contract but when you think about it, it shouldn't be problematic. all you do is look for a job in the normal way and then if you find one, get a pre-contract and go get your number. most employers will be aware of this procedure.

i'm sure there is exactly the same thing in the UK for EU citizens who want to work, they have to obtain something similar to our national insurance number.

in the Uk, unlike spain, you can open a bank account (basic only) without this number.
cheers greg, thats really helpful information...i dont suppose we can sign on out there lol oj, i intend to work and party...do the majority of employers insist that employess hav this magic number...

Back