Anyone use a currency card for travelling?

OllieNotts

I am looking at getting a travelex currency card to take to Ibiza next week and the rate looks as good as any, free withdrawals from some cash machines, and no hassle of leaving cash in the villa on the off chance we get robbed. Also might stop silly spending on the first few days if it means having to withdraw instead of just taking another ton out of the stash.
Any one used one?

I am looking at getting a travelex currency card to take to Ibiza next week and the rate looks as good as any, free withdrawals from some cash machines, and no hassle of leaving cash in the villa on the off chance we get robbed. Also might stop silly spending on the first few days if it means having to withdraw instead of just taking another ton out of the stash.
Any one used one?

I got a Thomas Cook one last year after getting charged £60+ to withdraw my own bloody money in 2010 and it was good. Used it to withdraw 500 Euros a few times from the cashpoint at the bottom of the West End and used it in Bay Bar, The Pacha shop and Davids as well.

Gave up using them after working out you get just as good a rate if not better out of the ATMs using your debit card. If you wind up with £5 or so withdrawal fees then it's not the end of the world.. but some people like them.

Gave up using them after working out you get just as good a rate if not better out of the ATMs using your debit card. If you wind up with £5 or so withdrawal fees then it's not the end of the world.. but some people like them.
I am with Natwest but it seems the hassle of taking no cash is very appealing. What you reckon? Just use bank account? Appealing thing is money is seperate from bill money in usual bank so I cant spend money I shouldnt be spending :lol:

Be an adult, set a budget, and don't go over it! :lol: ;)

I've been using the debit card for travel since the late 1990s and I still think it's the best way to go. If I take any foreign currency with me at all, it's just enough for a taxi from the airport.

What you need to do is check which rate the pre paid card is offering. The exchange rate is different for the tourist rate ( worse ) than the inter bank rate ( rate banks exchange at ) if its the lower tourist rate, yes your fix the rate your get but drawing money our a cash machine does mean you get the interbank rate, and even with charges could actually work out better.

Be an adult, set a budget, and don't go over it! :lol: ;)

I've been using the debit card for travel since the late 1990s and I still think it's the best way to go. If I take any foreign currency with me at all, it's just enough for a taxi from the airport.

Being an adult just isnt an option :lol:

What you need to do is check which rate the pre paid card is offering. The exchange rate is different for the tourist rate ( worse ) than the inter bank rate ( rate banks exchange at ) if its the lower tourist rate, yes your fix the rate your get but drawing money our a cash machine does mean you get the interbank rate, and even with charges could actually work out better.
It is as good as any rate you can buy. You load the card with euros so you know how much there is there is no taking the exchange rate on the day like with a bank card.

Basically as I am crap with money the idea that I can only spend what is on this card and not carry over a grand on me at any one time is very appealing. I thought more people would of used one and been able to give their opinion.

I use these guys:

http://www.caxtonfx.com/currency-cards/

Really can't recommend them enough. Easy to load. Good exchange rate (compared to Tesco, Post Office, Thomas Cook - everytime I've checked at least) and no charge for cash withdrawals whilst you're out there.

Only slight stumbling block, if an issue for anybody, will be the daily allowance.

But seeing as I take a mixture of both cash & the above, it is perfect for me and I recommend it.

Being an adult just isnt an option :lol:

It is as good as any rate you can buy. You load the card with euros so you know how much there is there is no taking the exchange rate on the day like with a bank card.

Basically as I am crap with money the idea that I can only spend what is on this card and not carry over a grand on me at any one time is very appealing. I thought more people would of used one and been able to give their opinion.

I see travelex are offering 1.20 where as the bank rate ( if you draw from a machine ) is 1.23 ( has been as high as 1.25 recently), so for every pound you loose 3 cents, so it just depends on how much you are planning on spending and how many times you withdraw. In London there is a company called Thomas Exchange which are offering 1.21 if you convert before you leave.

I use these guys:

http://www.caxtonfx.com/currency-cards/

Really can't recommend them enough. Easy to load. Good exchange rate (compared to Tesco, Post Office, Thomas Cook - everytime I've checked at least) and no charge for cash withdrawals whilst you're out there.

Only slight stumbling block, if an issue for anybody, will be the daily allowance.

But seeing as I take a mixture of both cash & the above, it is perfect for me and I recommend it.

100% this. Been using it for years

Cant see the daily allowance of lifting out(300/350 euros) being a problem for most people

I opted for travelex in the end after going in to town to be met with a board that said 1.14 to the pound while travelex was 1.2 and can collect card and spare free from airport tomorrow morning. Will post the experience when i get back ')

I opted for travelex in the end after going in to town to be met with a board that said 1.14 to the pound while travelex was 1.2 and can collect card and spare free from airport tomorrow morning. Will post the experience when i get back ')

if you wouldn't mind, be interesting to see if you get changed for using it is bars. restaurants ATM'S etc?

How did it work out in the end ?

How did it work out in the end ?

Very good actually. Shops took the card and no charges from any telebanco I used. They even text you when you have about 150e left and shatter your optimism when you think its closer to 600e :lol:

Very good actually. Shops took the card and no charges from any telebanco I used. They even text you when you have about 150e left and shatter your optimism when you think its closer to 600e :lol:

what about using it in restaurants, bars and fag shops, all ok with it?

I only used it in the super markets and telebanco. No withdrawal or charges from the shop though I imagine it can be used anywhere like a bank card. I read its a pain to reload it with cash and I'll find out in august when I attempt to reload it for visit number 2. Any unused currency can be sold back to travelex all be it at a crap rate.
Will defo use again. Also get a second card free of charge, think it's 10e after for a new one.

I only used it in the super markets and telebanco. No withdrawal or charges from the shop though I imagine it can be used anywhere like a bank card. I read its a pain to reload it with cash and I'll find out in august when I attempt to reload it for visit number 2. Any unused currency can be sold back to travelex all be it at a crap rate.
Will defo use again. Also get a second card free of charge, think it's 10e after for a new one.

Back