another scam alert...

djchewie

for 3 users (although i have a feeling that "other networks" will be targeted)
if anyone gets a text from "3" asking you to text "live" to a 4 digit number claiming that you are listed as an inactive user and if you do not text back your account will be closed, ignore it cos its another bastard scam. - you text that umber you will get charged, and the dickheads get paid.

quite how they know what network im on is worrying. i mean isnt this data confidential?

Is this a scam ?

yep.

set up a bogus text back number, send a text saying your account will be closed or something to get people panicing and some people will. and you get paid that £1 or whatever it is.

i called 3 up when i got it, and they confirmed they didnt send me the message.

(Some people may remember I worked at 3 when they were launching in 2003)

The problem with that network is that they issued numbers in sequence:

07737 058572
07737 058573
07737 058574

And so on....

This gives users a few problems...

Firstly, scammers can simply send out these mass texts and know they will get a fairly good hit rate.

Secondly, airtime providers will call up numbers in sequence at about the time that the contract is about to end and ofer an 'upgrade' for customers and they claim to be calling from 3. Again, because the numbers were issued in sequence, these companies have a pretty good idea that the numbers were issued at around the same time so are confident of a good 'hit rate'

Vodafone etc. issue numbers in random sequence so are less easy to go after for either a scam or contract renewal...

NB: This applies to contract numbers only....

aghhhh.

i might call the next digit number and offer them an upgrade. :lol:

oh btw, my number was ported over to 3.

and while your here brains... im looking at getting a 3 USB modem and hooking it up to my Xbox360 via the Macbook. i know this is poss, cos i managed to get xbox live on it via phone as modem and macbook :lol:

thing is, what usage plan would i need for some online gaming? 1GB, 3GB or 7GB:?:

Personally I'd go for the higher one, Chewster, because of patching and / or demo downloads etc.. Plus you'll be able to pop it into a laptop (or whatever you Mac boys call 'em) for special interest videos beamed straight to your lap.

Not sure the speed is quick enough for happy online gaming, though. Fastest is only 2.5 mbps, in 'Turbo' areas?

Personally I'd go for the higher one, Chewster, because of patching and / or demo downloads etc.. Plus you'll be able to pop it into a laptop (or whatever you Mac boys call 'em) for special interest videos beamed straight to your lap.

Not sure the speed is quick enough for happy online gaming, though. Fastest is only 2.5 mbps, in 'Turbo' areas?

2.8mbps...

so long as i aint hosting i should be fine...

Back