Am I too old for Fabric?

Tin Robot

I'm 45, nearly 46. Bald. Average. Here is my confession.

I haven't been to a club in the UK for 25 years and even then I only went to regional places that were rubbish. I've been to clubs around europe but again not the leading clubs. Even then that must be a decade ago.

I am no dancer either. Sure I wouldn't put myself in the same category as the dancing misanthrope but I'm hardly great - think more 80's baggy.

To make matters worse I am painfully self conscious and borderline paranoid.

As the perfect icing on the cake I loath queueing because it makes me feel so on edge.

But. I love deep house. Can't get enough of it. Even bought myself some DJ gear to learn how to mix. One of my favourite DJ's / Producers is Maceo Plex. Polygon Pulse to The Warden I love his sets and his music and what he does. He is playing Fabric soon and I would love to see him live and also experience a top level club. Observation and having a good time on the fringes.

Am I too old? If not anyway I can avoid the queue (on medical grounds!)?

Did I mention I would likely be on my own :( Doubt my wife would want to come along

Never too old to have a boogie in a nightclub listening to the music you love. Plus everyone thinks they are a great dancer when they are throwing some shapes on the dance floor although in reality we probably all look like muppets. As long as you enjoy the music being played I'm sure you will love it.
Go for it !

Clubs are usually dark, I've only been to Fabric once and it was dark- no one will see you and anyone who judges you can do one.

Some on here will be able to tell you when most people arrive at Fabric, go slightly earlier and have a drink/mooch around the club.

Age is a number you'll be fine

If not anyway I can avoid the queue (on medical grounds!)?

Get yourself a FabricFirst membership - can't guarantee you won't have to queue but if you do it'll be a way shorter line. It's monthly, but you can cancel your subs if you don't want to go again. Might be a minimum term. Just look it up.

or if you're that self-conscious, you could always go dressed as a robot. I've been to psy-trance nights at the Fridge where there were robots with prosthetic limbs gyrating on the stage - they could've been anything from 15-85

My advice would be, first of all shrug off your insecurities about your dancing abilities. Okay, so I appreciate that is easier said than done. But most likely you are feeding your own self-doubts. It can be a vicious cycle. Just go with the music and let your body do whatever it feels is right.

Also - and this might be minor - but this is a Ellum showcase night. I don't know how clued up you are with his label, but it might get a bit obscure and experimental for you as a casual fan (sorry, I was trying to find a better term, please don't take offence). I would recommend hitting Room 2 for Kaluki until Plex jumps on (probably around 4am). I think you'll find the music a lot more accessible there with Max Chapman, wAFF & De La Swing.

To be honest, hitting Room 2 early doors until the crowds in Room 1 have dispersed a little is generally good advice in any case.

I think you may think everyone is in these clubs pulling off dirty dancing or Michael Jackson when in fact it is totally the opposite

If you want an idea of what they're like just watch a few youtube vids to get an idea. Nothing two difficult about two stepping

And everyone is totally correct that no one will give a damn about you or your dancing. In fact even when you get someone in a club dancing like Mr bean on disco biscuits everyone smiles and nods in approval

Everyone that goes to these events/underground nights are there for the music and to dance. It isn't your Yates/Liquid or what ever full of teens standing around drinking VK blue taking snap chats

I remember back in the early 2000s when dance music was supposedly dead and mixmag was on its arse and endless journalists were telling us that the kids were now all into the zutons or whatever, and then Guardian man Alexis Petridis went on a fact finding mission to Pacha and claimed that everyone was in their 40s. now 15 years later we have people in their 40s worried that the clubs are all full of kids and wondering if they will fit in. it's a funny old world.

There are two types of club. There's the "Sorry lads, not tonight." type, where if you're the wrong sex, wearing the wrong shoes, the wrong shirt, wrong night, etc, etc. then you won't get in. And even if you're "lucky" enough to get in, it will be full of dickheads dancing to generic junk (called EDM these days) where anyone over 30 is looked upon with disgust. Then there are the places like Ministry of Sound, Fabric and just about anywhere in Ibiza, where you can wear what you like, get in without any hassle and the place is full of music heads who don't give a shit about your age, what you're wearing or how you dance and are just there to have a good time. At least that's my experience anyway.

There are two types of club. There's the "Sorry lads, not tonight." type, where if you're the wrong sex, wearing the wrong shoes, the wrong shirt, wrong night, etc, etc. then you won't get in. And even if you're "lucky" enough to get in, it will be full of dickheads dancing to generic junk (called EDM these days) where anyone over 30 is looked upon with disgust. Then there are the places like Ministry of Sound, Fabric and just about anywhere in Ibiza, where you can wear what you like, get in without any hassle and the place is full of music heads who don't give a shit about your age, what you're wearing or how you dance and are just there to have a good time. At least that's my experience anyway.

"Ladies! Free entry before 11"
"No trainers, Smart jeans allowed"
"OPTIONS - SW London's premier nightclub"
"Kavanagh - EXCLUSIVE PA TONITE!!!"
"And a very Happy Birrrrrrrrthday to Lorraine who's brought all her mates down from Rayne's Park. Are you in for a treat tonight fellas!"

OR

"what's your name? What you on?"
"don't know ya but you're safe as fk"
"here, have some of THIS"
"don't tell anyone but I heard about this amazing place called Ibiza"

Ha Ive been a few times by myself and been more to listen to a particular dj rather than go nuts on the dancefloor (sorry call me a chinstroker i dont care lol). If you want abit of space just plant yourself next to one of the security people in the corners / against the wall in room 1. Theres always a bit of room to swing and if you're legal you have nothing to fear.
Theres often abit of room on the stages in either room 1 or 2. worth hauling yourself up and having a look.
Also theres the middle floor that used to be vip/guestlist that overlooks room 1. a good spot at the front of there is great to take in the visuals / sound without the crowds in your space

I remember back in the early 2000s when dance music was supposedly dead and mixmag was on its arse and endless journalists were telling us that the kids were now all into the zutons or whatever, and then Guardian man Alexis Petridis went on a fact finding mission to Pacha and claimed that everyone was in their 40s. now 15 years later we have people in their 40s worried that the clubs are all full of kids and wondering if they will fit in. it's a funny old world.
Alexis, bizarrely the former mixmag editor himself ?!

Back