Am I being converted?

Ikoda

As anyone who has used these forums for the last half decade knows, I'm a huge trance fan.
From endlessly talking about it when I first started, to asking advice about launching my own club night (now in it's fourth year), I've always been about trance.

Recently though, I've fallen out of love with the music, and the politics of the scene have more or less crushed my passion for it. It's gotten too close to the EDM sun and lost a lot of what it was about.
Hypnotic rhythms and beautiful tracks replaced with big drops and forgettable psy bass lines.

I've found over the last 12 months, I've gotten more and more into techno.
Something about it just speaks to me more than trance has done of late.

Cocoon in Ibiza in September with DJ Koze, Adam Beyer, and ofcourse Mr Vath, blew my fragile little mind. Avant Garde last weekend pushed that further. While busy for Kiasmos, their music was uplifting, the rest of the night was fine and Extrawelt were also incredible with a darker vibe.

The weekend after this one, I'm off to Drumcode.
Am I being converted to techno? :lol:

^still entry level by the looks of it but welcome progress nonetheless. Your journey is nearly complete when you find yourself at a Jerome Hill gig in a basement in the outskirts of Madrid sweating your chops off to industrial strength 303s. Or convincing yourself that Donato Dozzy is the spiritual heir to Derrick May. Or explaining to strangers that Surgeon is not a doctor and that Underground Resistance is not an alliance of angry commuters. Your beard is complete when you find yourself on obscure facebook techno groups arguing with other nerds whether it is 'acceptable' to include Moodymann-esque jazzbreaks in your sets. Your techno jedi mission finally ends when you find yourself angrily denouncing 'new' techno fans as trance refugees and how dare they infiltrate your scene.

Last edited:
Ha, I was exactly the same as you about 15 years back - was into eurobeat/techno trance in the 90s and got bored of it all (or got too old?) and then heard blackwater or jaguar or something and then life was never the same

Its easily done. . I went from trance to techno. Especially after the big hitters of trance sold out and went commercial. . One night in space was all it took!

i was the same. my transformation happened pretty much 10 years ago (i had liked techno already before that, but got bored with trance after 2006

^still entry level by the looks of it but welcome progress nonetheless. Your journey is nearly complete when you find yourself at a Jerome Hill gig in a basement in the outskirts of Madrid sweating your chops off to industrial strength 303s. Or convincing yourself that Donato Dozzy is the spiritual heir to Derrick May. Or explaining to strangers that Surgeon is not a doctor and that Underground Resistance is not an alliance of angry commuters. Your beard is complete when you find yourself on obscure facebook techno groups arguing with other nerds whether it is 'acceptable' to include Moodymann-esque jazzbreaks in your sets. Your techno jedi mission finally ends when you find yourself angrily denouncing 'new' techno fans as trance refugees and how dare they infiltrate your scene.

Jerome hill,do you listen to his radio show on kool fm/koollondon.? I prefer his old school stuff but hes a great dj.

I'm the same, as trance was fading in early 00s I had my first trip to ibiza and every shop I went into, every taxi I was in etc house and techno was being blasted. Haven't looked back since :)

Get yourself to see Dave Clarke, Ben klok, surgeon, Len faki, ffs there's an endless list! Welcome to the dark side, the crowds at techno nights are far better then any other in my opinion. Especially the less commercial gigs you go to not like drumcode or cocoon and I love both but I see them as commercial these days.
The real underground vibe is still alive and well just needs a bit of digging out :cool:

Ben,

Also, with the bpm you Trance dudes like it, you could go straight for the hardcore Techno!!!

Get yourself to see Dave Clarke, Ben klok, surgeon, Len faki, ffs there's an endless list! Welcome to the dark side, the crowds at techno nights are far better then any other in my opinion. Especially the less commercial gigs you go to not like drumcode or cocoon and I love both but I see them as commercial these days.
The real underground vibe is still alive and well just needs a bit of digging out :cool:

I guess I don't see them that way. But then, it's usually the more commercial elements you listen to before digging deeper. Started off with trance listening to Radio 1 on a Friday, guys like Dave Pearce and Judge Jules. Then the slightly more commercial club nights in Bristol that played trance.

I'd love to go see Ben Klock. Got quite a list of people I want to see actually! :)

I guess I don't see them that way. But then, it's usually the more commercial elements you listen to before digging deeper. Started off with trance listening to Radio 1 on a Friday, guys like Dave Pearce and Judge Jules. Then the slightly more commercial club nights in Bristol that played trance.

I'd love to go see Ben Klock. Got quite a list of people I want to see actually! :)
Get yourself to WHP new years day ;)

Back