Advice Needed

Browny

So after a few years of pondering about it I've eventually decided to buy myself some cdj's. Has anybody used any online tutorials/videos that they would recommend? (baring in mind I'm a complete beginner)

So after a few years of pondering about it I've eventually decided to buy myself some cdj's. Has anybody used any online tutorials/videos that they would recommend? (baring in mind I'm a complete beginner)

What kind of money do you have to spend? Do you own any other DJ equipment? (For example, a mixer)

What kind of money do you have to spend? Do you own any other DJ equipment? (For example, a mixer)

Just a basic set up including 2xcdj's, 1x mixer, a pair of speakers and a laptop!
Money wise I honestly haven't got a clue i.e what would be classed as expensive/what wouldn't for such a thing

There are loads of vids on YouTube of varying quality. They might be of some use for some pointers when you get to more advanced things like looping etc but for just basic beat matching etc you are best off just locking yourself in a room with your decks and practicing practicing practicing! Start by taking 2 records that you like and are quite similar in terms if style and just mix in and out of those constantly until you get a feel for tempo and beat matching and go from there mate

Just a basic set up including 2xcdj's, 1x mixer, a pair of speakers and a laptop!
Money wise I honestly haven't got a clue i.e what would be classed as expensive/what wouldn't for such a thing

More than happy to throw pointers. Setups can go from £1000 to £3000 so it's down to how much time, energy and money you have to throw at it.

Get the new 1210's!

Not at £2750 per deck. I need a set of 1210s to replace my absolute shite set of Geminis, thought about going with this new pair til the price appeared.

If you are planning on using a laptop, why not save yourself some cash and get a decent midi controller and use Traktor/Serato instead of CDJs?

If you're introducing yourself to DJ'ing, I would start off with the most basic equipment you can get before you invest too heavily into expensive hardware you may not use for more than a few weeks. I don't know your financial situation, but in my opinion there's no point dropping 5k for a dual CDJ/Mixer setup if you fall out of love with mixing once you start doing it.

I would personally go for an all-in-one cdj/mixer unit. A quick google came up with this:

http://www.djstore.com/item/nummixtrackpro3w.htm

Or if you want to go more upmarket, this:

http://www.djstore.com/item/usbcontrollers/pioddjsx2.htm

They are both fine for starting out. Get used to the feel of beat matching, song selection, set-building and looping before throwing big money down on professional equipment.

Personally I have this:

http://www.intermusic-pro.com/upload/productos/xone-dx-top.jpg

Old, bit finicky now, but plug it into a laptop and it works absolutely fine for practicing and compact enough that it can fit on a table for house parties.

Best thing I'd advise is spend some time with Virtual DJ or similar, get used to the idea of beat matching. Maybe then get a controller or get CDJs, depending on your preference.

I started off with VDJ about 9 years ago. Then got a shitty soundcard and a £50 mixer and routed the output from both VDJ channels to the mixer to I could use EQs outside of the software.

Then got a set of CDJ 400s about 7 years ago and ditched the software.
Got a set of Pioneers flagship CDJs, the CDJ 2000 Nexus' about a year ago.
I got turntables about 6 years ago.

Thanks for all the pointers, I have bought a pair of pioneer cdj's with a mixer (off a mate so got a good deal) think best way is to watch a few youtube clips and lock myself in my room!

Thanks for all the pointers, I have bought a pair of pioneer cdj's with a mixer (off a mate so got a good deal) think best way is to watch a few youtube clips and lock myself in my room!

What did you get out of interest?

Don't supose anyone wants to buy a pair of Pioneer Cdj-1000 mk2 ? Don't have the time to use them unfortunatley

It's not that im not feeling it or whatever anymore just literally don't have time! Minds made up now i want rid

Back