A little advice please!

TomWatts

So...

just come out of a very long term relationship and now is my chance to live something I've wanted to do for a long time!

Im 32 but I'm not really bothered about the age thing, I can't seeing it being a problem. Can anyone else?

I work as a DJ/Percussionist and also have a day job as a duty manager. I know that everyone comes to Ibiza to DJ so I'm not really even looking into that but what about the Percussion side of things? Much call for it?

Accom - happy to share but ideally would like my own room. How much should I expect to pay? Unrealistic?

If I gave my notice today, I would be able to fly out early to mid may, is this too late?

So many questions I know... Sorry!

mid may isn't too late.

your own room will probably work out around 400-500€ a month.

the competition on the percussionist side of things is surely smaller on a quantity level, but there are a good few excellent percussionists on the island that do it for years already and have all the contacts. you have to build it all up first. so don't have too high hopes on this if it's your first season.

it's definitely the best thing to do though if you just broke up with your partner...do it!

Thanks for such a quick reply Stivi!

Yes, my older head definitely agrees with the "build it up" statement. Like all things, it takes time to become recognised in what you do and rather than being the best percussionist around I make sure I am always punctual, professional and reliable. I always find these traits are much more well thought of than outstanding skill!

anyway, I'm digressing!! 4-500 doesn't sound too drastic. If I found somewhere I liked could I pay in bulk for the season and therefore try and haggle a small discount?!

not sure if you'd get a discount, but it's been a trend of late that people ask for the full season rent in advance anyway (and mostly without discounts). this has been irritating for quite some people lately!!

Wow how do people afford that on the shoestring budget that most arrive on!!?

that's the thing, most people don't.

it's more a problem on the ibiza town/figueretas/playa d'en bossa side though than over in san an from what i've gathered. still it's a big issue for many season workers.

So I'm gonna give me 4 weeks notice at work today (unless I bottle it), pretty exciting and apprehensive at the same time.

Why don't you ask about having extended leave instead? then you've got nothing to loose even if it doesn't work out in Ibiza, that's what I done and my boss didn't mind :)

Why don't you ask about having extended leave instead? then you've got nothing to loose even if it doesn't work out in Ibiza, that's what I done and my boss didn't mind :)

I didn't realise I could until I said I wanted to leave! Brucie Bonus!

Back