A&B amnesia- trance???

sarah85

Getting a little concerned with gossip from friends that A&B aren't very 'trancey' anymore. Anyone seen them at amnesia this year? Surely cream has to be trance?
Sarah

I havent been to Cream for a few years now, but from what I can gather it is not so trancey these days, more EDM

Getting a little concerned with gossip from friends that A&B aren't very 'trancey' anymore. Anyone seen them at amnesia this year? Surely cream has to be trance?
Sarah

All depends on your definition of 'Trance'. They certainly don't hammer out the BOSH of Kearney, Askew et al but do still play trance.
Cream wasn't originally a trance brand, its probably covered every spectrum of the genres over the years. Just going with the flow as per and ensuring its continued success. So i dont see why it surely has to be trance :)
The terrace is definitely more housey, electro, pop.

All depends on your definition of 'Trance'. They certainly don't hammer out the BOSH of Kearney, Askew et al but do still play trance.
Cream wasn't originally a trance brand, its probably covered every spectrum of the genres over the years. Just going with the flow as per and ensuring its continued success. So i dont see why it surely has to be trance :)
The terrace is definitely more housey, electro, pop.

Agreed. They play... I wouldn't say down tempo stuff, but it's not as hard as the Trance of the likes of John O'Callaghan, etc.

These are the kind of tracks you can expect to hear. The Chalice track was what they opened with last week

Yeah, this really comes down to how you define trance.

By the standards of 6-10 years ago they are definitely not trance. But that could be said of a lot of so called trance artists.

By today's standards, what A&B are are a slower, sanitised version of trance. Some would call it trouse.

Really to me, A&B's demise isn't really about them being or not being 'real' trance anymore. It's much more about the label massively losing its way in terms of depth, complexity and consistency and A&B insisting on hammering the shit out of their last album.

Thanks for the replies although I am slightly concerned now. Keep hearing that a&b are trouse but have been hoping they'll play harder trance for amnesia.

Hubby & I going for wedding anniversary and since we've had kids haven't been clubbing. Our clubbing days were 6-9 years ago, so I guess when trance was harder. I booked before line up came out & would prefer to go week after for Oakey & pvd. Although not sure of their style anymore either.

Going to space on Friday for full on, hoping bt & cosmic gate will pull it out the bag.

You will be disappointed if you are hoping for uplifting trance or any of their classics. 2010 was the last time I saw them do a decent set at Cream when the 3 of them did the one off night and I've been a couple of times since and they have been rubbish in comparison. Last July I went with a crowd under sufferance, it was Pavo on his own and the set was awful for a main room Cream headliner. Basically kicked the arse out of Group Therapy and played fairly middle of the road tracks from their label. If you go to iTunes and look for their podcast and download the 2 hour set from GT50 you will have an idea what to expect

Oh and if you want a proper banging trance night then definitely go for PvD and Oakenfold the following week.

Oh no I'm really worried now! I'll still enjoy the night come what may but was really hoping for uplifting/ banging trance, suppose I'm living in the past.
Wish I could go the week after but we're there for 3 days for our anniversary, young kids at home so need to get back to them.
Do you think I'll be more pleased with ferry, bt & cosmic gate? X

What about eddie halliwell i heart that He was play +140 @cream...anybody was there? Old eddie is back?

Do you think I'll be more pleased with ferry, bt & cosmic gate? X

More or less the same with these guys I'm afraid. Ferry and Cosmic Gate are definitely in that slower end of the tempo these days. A touch less fluffy than A&B but not quite the real deal.

BT I rate very highly as a producer but his material is pretty experimental and even downtempo. Don't know how he pitches his DJ sets though.

Last edited:
You will be disappointed if you are hoping for uplifting trance or any of their classics. 2010 was the last time I saw them do a decent set at Cream when the 3 of them did the one off night and I've been a couple of times since and they have been rubbish in comparison. Last July I went with a crowd under sufferance, it was Pavo on his own and the set was awful for a main room Cream headliner. Basically kicked the arse out of Group Therapy and played fairly middle of the road tracks from their label. If you go to iTunes and look for their podcast and download the 2 hour set from GT50 you will have an idea what to expect

That was a banging set, the 2010 set that I can remember. Haha.

Thanks for all the replies. Tempted to go to Ushuaia for Armin & then to amnesia. Gonna have a great time even if A&B do play trouse. It's cream ibiza- what's not to l

i wouldnt class A&B as trouse because they have been producing this sort of music since day 1. They use their Oceanlab guise for the trancier side of their productions.

i wouldnt class A&B as trouse because they have been producing this sort of music since day 1. They use their Oceanlab guise for the trancier side of their productions.

I disagree. Above & Beyond and Anjuna used to be 100% trance for me. Lots of 138, melodic release.

126-132 is the norm for them now. And it's more of these 'bassline-led' drops and really simple chord combinations.

Well I thought Tony from A&B was amazing! Vocal, euphoric, uplifting but banged it when needed.
BT was unreal at Space, full on ferry was trance in the traditional sense of the word. Couple of unlikely choices like 'touch me' bit all in all 2 very good nights

Yep I think the late 90's early 2000's soaring trance days are long gone. Caught Halliwell and PVD last year for Cream closing and it was full on pumping - Halliwell probably even more so. Just take an ipod and docking station and blast it (within reason) in your apartment.

I'm heading out on 24th - was planning on going to Amnesia that day following on from a State of Trance at Ushuaia which may be an option for you? Another alternative might be Es Paradis on Friday 25th July (not sure when you are going) - Clockwork Orange 20th anniversary - although might be a bit too housey - although Seb Fontaine and Tall Paul may play some of the older classic.

I'm sure you will enjoy anyway whatever you do.

I'm a big fan of Above & Beyond, but must say they don't play uplifting trance anymore. It's still trance though. Some people say it isn't, but then trance fans from the early/mid-90s used to argue the uplifting stuff from around 99/00 wasn't trance either!

Saw a "Paavo only" set last year and some people said it wasn't an amazing set. I suppose it depends on the crowd, but it seemed decent. The people I spoke to were hanging around in the VIP bit, so no wonder they weren't feeling it as much, get down on the dancefloor before you start moaning! :p I admittedly didn't catch the last hour as I had to get over to Sankeys.

As for trance, can highly recommend Armin. ASOT was insane at Privilege last year and I'm not sure what to make of the move to Ushuaia, but venue aside his sets are trance as it should be, same with the other Armada guys.

Then there's Sunk at Privilege, which looks like a top night. At Privilege but in one of the small side rooms, which are still bloody massive. Head to head with Cream, but if you want full on trance, the line-ups are spot on. When we're going this year its Hardwick, Menno, Airwave and The Space Brothers. You can't argue with that lineup!

Gatecrasher's lineups look good too, but there's rumours about DJs pulling out so I'm not sure what the deal is there. Some good posted lineups, but I don't know if things will change.

In short - if you want full-on uplifting trance, you've got loads of choice. There's also some bar in the West End where they play trance. People are allowed a go on the decks and apparently last year a few of the Irish trance contingent turned up and Kearney was kicking out the tunes. Can't remember the name of it though.

Back