25 Parties that changed Dance Music Forever...

I've done Gatecrasher at The Republic (at the ripe age of 16!), Tresor, Manumission, Circo Loco and Secretsundaze. I don't think I've seen any of them in their early/golden days mind, although I've had some cracking days out at Secretsundaze in recent years.

Would like to have seen Detroit's Music Institute get a shout seeing as they've tipped the cap to New York and Chicago. In fact it seems to be pretty London heavy which isn't surprising considering it is Mixmag. I'm not sure Trade, Trash, The Blitz CLub or Co-op had as profound an effect on global dance music as the article perhaps suggests, but rather were just cool scenes of a specific era. Fair play to FWD, Rage and Happy Days though - it appears that they genuinely gave birth to specific genres of music.

Yeah good shout for secretsundaze - that changed the map in east london, although the most exciting party in the last 5 years has probably been world unknown. Gamechangers in recent years? Hard to say - festivals or multi-lineups have really taken over from loyally-attended club nights, which i'm not entirely sure is such a great thing.

i concur that this list in very London focussed. Some great, great parties listed there though - i really wish i had been to Paradise Garage!

my serious gripe is that Gatecrasher is on there. Cream was the original UK superclub and was always far more innovative than Gatecrasher. Without Cream there would have been no Gatecrasher

Totally agree with the comment regarding Gatecrasher, I don't think they were a catalyst for change in the scene like some of the other parties on the list were.
Also it could be argued that Renaissance paved the way for Cream so they would be a fitting addition to the list.

i concur that this list in very London focussed. Some great, great parties listed there though - i really wish i had been to Paradise Garage!

my serious gripe is that Gatecrasher is on there. Cream was the original UK superclub and was always far more innovative than Gatecrasher. Without Cream there would have been no Gatecrasher

I actually agree with them on Crasher. I think these days, Crasher is looked back on as the biggest Trance promoter in the scene.
It also brought cyber to the forefront of the scene at the time (before it got banned for putting off normal folks who just wanted a night out :lol: )
I don't think Cream had that,

Back