Time Warp 2024 - reviews

TazLondon

Just came back from Germany and our first Time Warp.

Bit of a mixed bag really - music was absolutely excellent in nearly all stages, production was quite good. Sound quality good in all rooms, perhaps some better fans or air conditioning would be helpful but overall it was comfortable.

We mainly stayed in Room 1 and 6 but did venture into the other rooms; Room 4 with Laurent G had a good atmosphere and vibe but the music wasn't really for us, and it was pretty hot, so we lasted about 30 minutes in there.

Crowd, however, was not quite what we were expecting after many festivals in Holland, etc - me and my girlfriend had to break up a fight right in front of us and calm the two guys down, one of which really didn't want to let it go and it took me about 15 minutes of him shouting at me, fist clenched, before he chilled out a bit.

Security and police way over the top, with registered taxis being pulled over after the event and passengers searched.

So - a bit unsure whether we would go back; perhaps we were tired but we didn't leave there with same full feeling we have after leaving other festivals abroad.

Just came back from Germany and our first Time Warp.

Bit of a mixed bag really - music was absolutely excellent in nearly all stages, production was quite good. Sound quality good in all rooms, perhaps some better fans or air conditioning would be helpful but overall it was comfortable.

We mainly stayed in Room 1 and 6 but did venture into the other rooms; Room 4 with Laurent G had a good atmosphere and vibe but the music wasn't really for us, and it was pretty hot, so we lasted about 30 minutes in there.

Crowd, however, was not quite what we were expecting after many festivals in Holland, etc - me and my girlfriend had to break up a fight right in front of us and calm the two guys down, one of which really didn't want to let it go and it took me about 15 minutes of him shouting at me, fist clenched, before he chilled out a bit.

Security and police way over the top, with registered taxis being pulled over after the event and passengers searched.

So - a bit unsure whether we would go back; perhaps we were tired but we didn't leave there with same full feeling we have after leaving other festivals abroad.

Taxi passengers searched by police randomly? Wtf is this that's crazy! Bizarre how Berlin is so relaxed and other parts of Germany sounds like complete opposite! Was keen to go check out time warp some day but might give it a miss!

Yep, and this isn't hearsay - some of our friends got stopped on both Friday and Saturday leaving the event.

The taxi driver who picked us up (official taxi) had been stopped twice the morning before picking us up.

It's a pity that you had such an experience with your first Time Warp. I have been attending Time Warp for 14 years and have never had any of the experiences you described.

There is always a large police presence, but I've never noticed them checking people.
I came here by car and I didn't see any police either on the way there or on the way back.
But maybe that was also due to the times, as I only got in at 5 o'clock and left the event at 2 pm

It's a pity that you had such an experience with your first Time Warp. I have been attending Time Warp for 14 years and have never had any of the experiences you described.

There is always a large police presence, but I've never noticed them checking people.
I came here by car and I didn't see any police either on the way there or on the way back.
But maybe that was also due to the times, as I only got in at 5 o'clock and left the event at 2 pm
Yeah not quite what we were expecting - we arrived around 2300 and left around 0900.

Possibly bad luck - maybe we will do the morning ticket next time, if we go again.

Still had fun though - largely due to the the people we were with, a mixture of people we had met all over the world (Polish / Dutch we met in Amsterdam, Germans we met in Ibiza, etc) so that made it good.

Another weird thing - a bunch of us won two free weekend tickets a day or two before the event; maybe because it didn't sell out?

Yep, and this isn't hearsay - some of our friends got stopped on both Friday and Saturday leaving the event.

The taxi driver who picked us up (official taxi) had been stopped twice the morning before picking us up.
there have always been big police checks at the time warp, before the party and after, sometimes it even happens to get arrested between Frankfurt and Mannheim the day before (there was always a party there the day before at the time) if you are in a taxi, you lose what you have and that's it, sometimes a small fine, the important thing is not to drive, then the big problem begins, the tests are tests urine so even if you just smoked a joint 3.4 days before you are positive, the car is blocked and the fine is around €1000 easy. If you travel by car, you have to take a hotel 15-20km from the party (it costs less too :)) and then take a taxi to go and return! driving with foreign plates (UK, Belgian, Holland, France, etc.) 90% chance of being stopped. This rule doesn't only apply to timewarp, it's the same case for all the big German festivals (mayday, nature one, melt...) but hey, apart from that, German festivals remain incredible🔥

ok, so a full week after the event, here's also my review.

I haven't counted exactly how many timewarps I'd done previously, but I'd guess this was about my 10th time. for the 2024 version of stivi, it's too big a festival for me nowadays, but two reasons made me go back: 1. I'm good friends with one of the organizers and 2. laurent garnier.

on police searches - nothing new in germany and around timewarp. it's always been like that.

then after many years of experience, we've learnt 'less is more', so we focussed on a few artists only

we started with a bit of adriatique, who sadly were far too poppy/melodic for my liking (I like the guys, but the music wasn't my thing this time)

then a bit of sven, whom I'd seen the week before at akasha and I have to say he was much better at akasha.

then we ventured into floor four already and stayed there for the next 7 or so hours. we caught the end of octave one live, then all of karotte's set and then all of laurent garnier. as mentioned above, for me he was one of the main reasons why I went to timewarp, and to me, he delivered. we were smack bang in the middle of the crowd and had a fantastic time.

when at nearly 11am LG finished, we went to see richie hawtin who was superb as well. we left a little before the event finished to get a taxi back to the hotel. food, shower, fresh clothes and off to the afters to see jamie and seth first and then sven again. as usual sven was better at the afters and if it wasn't for my friend who started feeling unwell at about 8pm, I think we probably would have stayed until the bitter end which was after 2am I believe.

as I said, I think I'm past my festival age, I much prefer small club gigs nowadays, but for timewarp, I sometimes make an exception. I also was lucky enough to end up in the same elevator as laurent before his gig and told him I can't wait to see him in ibiza in 3 weeks time.

EDIT - I need to add something personal...

it's two full years now since I left spotlight as an employee. I'm obviously still active here in the forums, but I was totally stunned that at time warp this year at least five people (whom I didn't know previously) walked up to me and said 'hang on, you're stivi from spotlight aren't you?'. I mean it was kinda normal when I worked in the industry, but I have to say I'm really surprised I still got that now.

to all those people out there reading and never signing up (you all know who you are!), thank you so much for your nice words about the forums, it's been a labour of love over the last twenty years and we have no intention of stopping this.

🙏

Last edited:

I haven't counted exactly how many timewarps I'd done previously, but I'd guess this was about my 10th time. for the 2024 version of stivi, it's too big a festival for me nowadays, but two reasons made me go back: 1. I'm good friends with one of the organizers and 2. laurent garnier.

on police searches - nothing new in germany and around timewarp. it's always been like that.

then after many years of experience, we've learnt 'less is more', so we focussed on a few artists only

we started with a bit of adriatique, who sadly were far too poppy/melodic for my liking (I like the guys, but the music wasn't my thing this time)

then a bit of sven, whom I'd seen the week before at akasha and I have to say he was much better at akasha.

then we ventured into floor four already and stayed there for the next 7 or so hours. we caught the end of octave one live, then all of karotte's set and then all of laurent garnier. as mentioned above, for me he was one of the main reasons why I went to timewarp, and to me, he delivered. we were smack bang in the middle of the crowd and had a fantastic time.

when at nearly 11am LG finished, we went to see richie hawtin who was superb as well. we left a little before the event finished to get a taxi back to the hotel. food, shower, fresh clothes and off to the afters to see jamie and seth first and then sven again. as usual sven was better at the afters and if it wasn't for my friend who started feeling unwell at about 8pm, I think we probably would have stayed until the bitter end which was after 2am I believe.

as I said, I think I'm past my festival age, I much prefer small club gigs nowadays, but for timewarp, I sometimes make an exception. I also was lucky enough to end up in the same elevator as laurent before his gig and told him I can't wait to see him in ibiza in 3 weeks time.

it's two full years now since I left spotlight as an employee. I'm obviously still active here in the forums, but I was totally stunned that at time warp this year at least five people (whom I didn't know previously) walked up to me and said 'hang on, you're stivi from spotlight aren't you?'. I mean it was kinda normal when I worked in the industry, but I have to say I'm really surprised I still got that now.

for all those people out there reading and never signing up (you all know who you are!), thank you so much for your nice words about the forums, it's been a labour of love over the last twenty years and we have no intention of stopping this.

🙏
Good review - where is the afters normally?

Good review - where is the afters normally?

it's always at 'das zimmer' - the club is run by the people behind timewarp. depending on the year you need a special wristband to get in, but from what I have heard this year you could also pay to get in if you didn't have a band. usually it starts pretty much when timewarp finishes, but normally from about 5-6pm it really gets going again.

to all those people out there reading and never signing up (you all know who you are!), thank you so much for your nice words about the forums, it's been a labour of love over the last twenty years and we have no intention of stopping this.

🙏
Nice review! How was Octave one?

Hi everyone, I saw there will be an "autumn" time warp on 25-26 october, anyone has been to these special editions in previous years?

Back