The Social Festival - Sat 12th September - Maidstone, Kent, UK

Very happy with sales, and v.confident of a sell-out. Least pushy of all events I sell for which gives me the impression they aren't panicking.

Apparently they lost £100k in the first year!!

I suspect they will have pulled favours to get some competitive rates! Not sure if the next surprise will be an act, or something to do with production.

Good to know! Yeah thought mates rates may apply to some but can imagine he has paid up to book a few of them..Great to have this sort of thing in your home town just seems too good to be true which usually means it won't last!

Very happy with sales, and v.confident of a sell-out. Least pushy of all events I sell for which gives me the impression they aren't panicking.

Apparently they lost £100k in the first year!!

I suspect they will have pulled favours to get some competitive rates! Not sure if the next surprise will be an act, or something to do with production.

It is amazing what Nic has done with this! You know the area as you live there, but are you worried that this one is growing just a bit too much this year for the local area to take? i.e. complaining locals etc. What capacity of people are they trying to get in this year Vs last year?

Last year they were heavily criticised for the bar system, and the queuing. It was one of those horrible token systems - which I hate anyway - and there wasn't enough bar staff to cope with the demand, nor security personnel to manage the queues. They got pretty ripped on social media for it.

Nic took it personally, and when they threw their winter edition back in February they had plenty of bar staff, no queues, and they took cash. It worked so much. A breeze in fact. Without doubt the most hassle free system I've ever seen at a UK festival. A complete 180o turnaround so I would hope & assume that will stay in place.

Noise complaints - there will undoubtedly be some. The venue had a pretty low scale rock concert this weekend just gone actually, and they were a dozen complaints from local residents. (My other half works in environmental health at the borough council so she has seen these first hand!) Could it cause problems down the road. I guess that's always a danger. Nic has been very vocal about his dislike for noise restrictions in our local press. Earlier in the year they actually ran with an anti-noise story on the front page, and then a centre-spread interview with Nic - one of the questions he was asked was if he could change anything, what would it be - "noise restrictions for UK festivals" ! Couldn't make it up.

For the moment he seems to have licensing, the police, press, chamber of commerce all on-side. So no worries there.

In terms of scale, it has doubled in size since the first edition in 2013. Year 1 had 1 main stage big-top and a much smaller 2nd tent.

Certainly rapid growth to go from being a regional, "boutique" festival to going to self-professed biggest underground line-up at any UK festival within the space of 3 years.

The local infrastructure - roads, train stations - they can cope. Accommodation? Not as convinced. All budget hotels are sold out. The more upmarket ones are few and far between. Will definitely be interesting to see how this year pans out! :D

Earlier in the year they actually ran with an anti-noise story on the front page, and then a centre-spread interview with Nic - one of the questions he was asked was if he could change anything, what would it be - "noise restrictions for UK festivals" ! Couldn't make it up.

I know. I can never really get into these UK festivals because of the noise limits. Especially if you have just come back from Ibiza, you're like "what is this". Adam Beyer summed it up on twitter at the weekend.....

Adam Beyer ‏@realAdamBeyer Jul 24
I better clear this one up, the crowds in england are so amazing and up for it that i would almost be scared if the sound was great

I'm heading to a few this August for Spotlight, starting with Eastern Electrics. I'm interested in seeing how that (outside of a small town) compares to SW4 (slap-bang in a built-up area) for volume levels. Quiet main stages are one of the reasons I tend to steer clear of them at festivals and stick to the tents. Just glad I'm heading to Ibiza after UK festivals this year.

I know. I can never really get into these UK festivals because of the noise limits. Especially if you have just come back from Ibiza, you're like "what is this".

Exactly! And it's not just festivals, last year went to see Derrick May at KOKO a few days after coming back from Ibiza and the difference was astonishing - quiet, no power and tinny.

A real shame as seeing Derrick for the first time years ago is what really got me into clubbing, luckily caught him a few months later at ADE and everything was back the way it should be.

stone the crows! Even the afterparty has a monster lineup

Wish I was going to this whole festival:(.

wic, are you somehow connected with it?

Just a promoter / ticket-seller. Aside from it being in my backyard. So no official role ;)

Well, its a stonking lineup and I wish it was in my backyard. I have to settle for Creamfields, which funnily enough i don't attend despite it being about 5 miles from my house.

Back