Playa Soleil 2023 - Reviews & Report

W_I_C

Staff member
Been here just 15 minutes.

Look, I'll be honest, I didn't really have all that much interest. But I've got to say, they've done a fantastic job.

Forget Bora Bora, that tired place that was trading off glories from two decades ago. This is infinitely better.

More tomorrow.

Look, I'll be honest, I didn't really have all that much interest. But I've got to say, they've done a fantastic job.

Forget Bora Bora, that tired place that was trading off glories from two decades ago. This is infinitely better.

More tomorrow.
Now that is the kind of positive review I love to see - looking forward to the review!

More tomorrow.
Yes I have to agree with you, the layout is pretty much like Bora Bora used to be but gone have the blue features to be replaced by a woody and sandy theme, could've been because it was the opening night but I also found the people at the door really nice and welcoming.
Now, I'm surprised you haven't mentioned the big elephant in the room, what the hell was going on with the sound?!!!?
I don't know if it was a technical issue, which I doubt very much, or more to do with the noise regulations.
I honestly never been to a place when the music was so low even right in front of the DJ box, all you can hear was people talking loudly all over the music with main topic of conversations being how shit the volume level was.
Couldn't work out a single tune a part from a very muffled bass.
I honestly don't like giving bad reviews but in this instance I have to say I get better sound from the speaker of my crappy phone.
At around 11:00pm finally the volume got a bit of a boost, cheered by the crowd like someone scored the winning goal at the World Cup!
By then the party sort of moved in the inside bit but I left, as to be honest, I wasn't in the right mood anymore at that point.
I really hope it was a one off and it will get better in future.

Last edited:
yeah, I was gonna wait until tomorrow to post my full thoughts. But certainly if there was any negatives, then it was the sound volume was incredibly low.
But like you said, at 23:00 they closed the inner screens and that's when it picked up and then again at midnight when it moved fully inside, it was perfect levels

Will post more tomorrow

Thanks for the reviews! Hope they get the sound sorted for the open air part.... anybody know what time it finished?

Just expand on the comments last night. Got into Bossa at 19:45 and all routes were backed right up with slow moving traffic. Calvin Harris and COT80s combining the clog the roads. The queue outside Ushuaia was pretty mental.

We did our usual and had food and pre-drinks at Moma and from where we were sitting there didn't appear to much footfall heading down towards Playa Soleil.

Eventually, we headed over there at about 20:45 and there was indeed a queue a people. I'm not sure how many of them were turned away. Perhaps they all got in eventually? But it was never over-packed inside. Busy, but with sufficient space. Kudos for that.

I don't mince my words when I say that Bora Bora had become a dump the last few years. Shoddily maintained beachfront and a dilapidated building that used it's former profile to charge prices way beyond what was justifiable. I get people had great days there in the '90s and '00s, but I never got it as a late arrival. I think the decline and end of Space on Sundays and the pass-out killed it, personally.

In it's new incarnation, I'll go as far to say it's probably Playa d'en Bossa's nicest beach club. It looks great. Inside is very Tulum inspired, and not in that cheap tiki-bar way that nearly everywhere else has tried. I know several people, myself included, worried that it would be too heavily VIP-focused like BMI. I don't think that's the case though. The booths and tables are on the outside perimeter and balcony for the most part and don't enroach. The size of the dancefloor is ample.

Negatives then. As @G.W. correctly stated, the sound levels were very low. I'd like to think that this is just an over cautious approach as to not get hit with a denouncement in the first week of opening. Let's see if they slowly build it up throughout summer.

Operationally, there were also teething problems with long waits at the bar and table service, but I'm confident they will be ironed out as the new team get into the swing of things. Night one is always unfair to judge in this area.

I remain very conflicted about Guy Gerber. I am not so quick to gloss over the very serious accusations as others have been. Before all this came out, he was probably in my top 5 producers and never let me down on a DJ set. Again here, you couldn't fault his music. Some tracks were incredible especially his last one before handing over. I really grapple with the ethics of writing that, but there it is, an objective opinion in a very complex and subjective situation.

Talking of stinkers as discussed in this thread, the DJ before Gerber played a House set until their final track when they ended on Drake and the original, not a dance remix. Very odd choice. Perhaps it was in protest at the sound levels?

As for drink prices, I don't know the exact breakdown, but 1 x glass of wine, 2 x gin & tonics, 1 x vodka limon and 2 x bottles of water (500ml) came in at under €80. Which, comparatively speaking, I really think is pretty good for a shiny new venue in that location

Last edited:
Just expand on the comments last night. Got into Bossa at 19:45 and all routes were backed right up with slow moving traffic. Calvin Harris and COT80s combining the clog the roads. The queue outside Ushuaia was pretty mental.

We did our usual and had food and pre-drinks at Moma and from where we were sitting there didn't appear to much footfall heading down towards Playa Soleil.

Eventually, we headed over there at about 20:45 and there was indeed a queue a people. I'm not sure how many of them were turned away. Perhaps they all got in eventually? But it was never over-packed inside. Busy, but with sufficient space. Kudos for that.

I don't mince my words when I say that Bora Bora had become a dump the last few years. Shoddily maintained beachfront and a dilapidated building that used it's former profile to charge prices way beyond what was justifiable. I get people had great days there in the '90s and '00s, but I never got it as a late arrival. I think the decline and end of Space on Sundays and the pass-out killed it, personally.

In it's new incarnation, I'll go as far to say it's probably Playa d'en Bossa's nicest beach club. It looks great. Inside is very Tulum inspired, and not in that cheap tiki-bar way that nearly everywhere else has tried. I know several people, myself included, worried that it would be too heavily VIP-focused like BMI. I don't think that's the case though. The booths and tables are on the outside perimeter and balcony for the most part and don't enroach. The size of the dancefloor is ample.

Negatives then. As @G.W. correctly stated, the sound levels were very low. I'd like to think that this is just an over cautious approach as to not get hit with a denouncement in the first week of opening. Let's see if they slowly build it up throughout summer.

Operationally, there were also teething problems with long waits at the bar and table service, but I'm confident they will be ironed out as the new team get into the swing of things. Night one is always unfair to judge in this area.

I remain very conflicted about Guy Gerber. I am not so quick to gloss over the very serious accusations as others have been. Before all this came out, he was probably in my top 5 producers and never let me down on a DJ set. Again here, you couldn't fault his music. Some tracks were incredible especially his last one before handing over. I really grapple with the ethics of writing that, but there it is, an objective opinion in a very complex and subjective situation.

Talking of stinkers as discussed in this thread, the DJ before Gerber played a House set until their final track when they ended on Drake and the original, not a dance remix. Very odd choice. Perhaps it was in protest at the sound levels?

As for drink prices, I don't know the exact breakdown, but 1 x glass of wine, 2 x gin & tonics, 1 x vodka limon and 2 x bottles of water (500ml) came in at under €80. Which, comparatively speaking, I really think is pretty good for a shiny new venue in that location
Again, I share all your sentiments about Playa Soleil.

I did think they were maybe be a bit too cautious re: the sound level as last thing you'd want is pissing people and the authorities off on your opening night, let's see how it's going to pan out as we get more into the season. Did you stay until very late? At what time did they wrap things up?

As for Guy Gerber I'm with you too, unfortunately I can't help to think sometimes whether I'm supporting someone which has been accused of such things but I wasn't there when it happened and all I know is what I've read about it so, who am I to judge?

A silly observation now, do you think the sand scattered all over the place is a deliberate thing to keep with the playa theme or was it just due to the people dragging it in from the beach? 🤣

The pictures of the place look really cool actually. Seems like sensible programming too. They do 'brunch' does any idea what that costs and what you get?

The pictures of the place look really cool actually. Seems like sensible programming too. They do 'brunch' does any idea what that costs and what you get?

I don't think it'll be a dubai-style brunch / set menu. I recon it'll be a (spenny) a la carte brunch menu ... but I could be wrong.

am not there and haven't been there so far, but even on the videos I'm seeing right now on socials I can hear people talking over the music (today's event that is).

am not there and haven't been there so far, but even on the videos I'm seeing right now on socials I can hear people talking over the music (today's event that is).

It's a real shame.
I decided not to go to Palmarama for this very reason.

Has anyone been to the Rumors (Friday) party recently? I wonder how the sound level is before moving to the inside club. Is getting in later in the evening when on the guest list difficult? Thank you in advance.

Has anyone been to the Rumors (Friday) party recently? I wonder how the sound level is before moving to the inside club. Is getting in later in the evening when on the guest list difficult? Thank you in advance.
It's fine after 23:00 once fully inside. It's the just the bit "beachside" which is quiet

It's fine after 23:00 once fully inside. It's the just the bit "beachside" which is quiet
How long does the inside bit stay going / music for.. So are you best to arrive beachside 9ish or it possible to dance early doors… if you can hear it 😉

Have great memories of bora bora but honestly the club was kind of a joke. I actually stayed above it for a week about 16 years ago and it rattled my bed every night. The magic was in the vibe of the beach itself, during the day especially late afternoon once things got going again. No matter what the actual venue morphs into I hope that beach vibe can continue on, it was really special

Has anyone been to Playa Soleil on Wednesdays or Fridays early doors this year? Has it been a good revival of Bora Bora? Thinking about going for a few drinks and a little dance before heading elsewhere for the majority of the night

Anyone go to Sven last night? I had some messages from some happy people about the venue and place overall.

I have messages from younger bros, cousins up to work colleagues +40. The funny one last night, two over 35s both said amazing party, vibe, and "amazing AC inside" lol.

Back