Passport requirements...

Imagine my horror when on the 7th April we realised our daughters passport was out of date, we fly to ibiza on 31st May, the passport office was already on strike at this point. Called the passport office and they said don’t bother trying for one of those fast track applications, the whole country is now doing that, they advised to submit as normal.

2 weeks later we have the new passport in our hands.

Imagine my horror when on the 7th April we realised our daughters passport was out of date, the passport office was already on strike at this point. Called the passport office and they said don’t bother trying for one of those fast track applications, the whole country is now doing that, they advised to submit as normal.

2 weeks later we have the new passport in our hands.
Good news! (And a reminder to send my son's in! Cheers!)

Looks like the system for scanning iris's + fingerprinting (profiling) followed by the ETIAS has been put back even further (official announcement soon??). Simply isn't ready, and the French have noted that, as they are hosting the Olympics in Summer 2024, they will be requiring hundreds/thousands of volunteers, many from the UK, wo would get held up if the system was introduced and in some cases, banned from entry. Also all the athletes would have to be Schengen-approved.

Would look bad the Olympics in Paris without key volunteers, staff and athletes because the system had collapsed under the weight? Personally (don't quote!) I think the next best option...if it's coming in at all...would be to introduce it 18 months from now, in the off-peak November 2024 period.

On the other hand, better to scrap the whole darned thing as an expensive folly and going back to scanning passports and if you're wanted then hoik them out of the queue.

Back