Outdoor venue in 1995

mark1875

Looking for some help from Spotlight readers.........

On my first youthful visit to the island in 1995 stayed in Rafael (?) apartments at top of West End in San An and enjoyed some fun filled nights in town but on one night was bussed by the, erm, tour operator (could have been 18-30 type!) with hundreds of others to an outdoor venue in the middle of nowhere - have been trying to figure out ever since where it was and if it is still there!?!

Place was a big fenced in open air dust bowl, buildings at one side with lots of rows of tables , some sort of stage area - outside was a big open air dance area with space for the masses! Seemed to be out in hills. Came back afterwards to the club next to the Egg which I think is gone now. Anybody know where the outdoor venue might have been, if it is still there, or what the place looks like now? Might try to track it down next Summer for the nostalgia!

Was Festival Club even open in the 90's?!!? :confused:

Mark, are you sure you're not a time traveller?? :rolleyes:

Mark from your description I think (!) we went the same place in 97 with 18-30. The night was wild west themed, and after drinking games outside , everyone went inside on rows of picnic tables for food (you can imagine that!) then back out were there was a band on then DJ. And then back to Exstasis by the Egg, or possibly Summum in the bay. Ive often thought where it was myself

Mark from your description I think (!) we went the same place in 97 with 18-30. The night was wild west themed, and after drinking games outside , everyone went inside on rows of picnic tables for food (you can imagine that!) then back out were there was a band on then DJ. And then back to Exstasis by the Egg, or possibly Summum in the bay. Ive often thought where it was myself

That's the one thanks NilSatis, your memory has lasted the test of time better than mine! Had forgotten the Wild West theme. The drinking games were inside, then outside for the DJ on my visit. Extasis was definitely the club in San An. Don't think it was the Festival Club mentioned in the post above, at least the pic doesn't look like how I remember the place - so the location remains a mystery?!?!!

Ps is Extasis still there ??

Was it on Ibiza uncovered? I seem to remember them showing a country and western night with some older people then the next day they had a young peoples party with a load of nurses. I don't know why but I want to say Sundance?

I asked Colin Butts (Plastik co-owner, ex rep, and author of "Is harry on the boat" ) via Facebook, and he suggested the place might be a place called "How Down" in santa gertrudis. Cant find any further details on the net though.

I didnt think it was the San Rafael Hippodrome from memory, that seems too big but I suppose it was 17years ago, and Ive destroyed many a brain cell since then!

I asked Colin Butts (Plastik co-owner, ex rep, and author of "Is harry on the boat" ) via Facebook, and he suggested the place might be a place called "How Down" in santa gertrudis. Cant find any further details on the net though.

That name does sound vaguely familiar but that could be my imagination or dulled memory - it was definitely out in the hills so that stacks up too! Wonder if that was the place and if it (or anything) is still there? Anybody know which road it is,or was, on ? Off to try Google Earth! Cheers

Last edited:
Ive tried that too mate ha ha still not found what I think could be it! Was hoping Mcrackin might have the answer by now ;)

it sounds like the old barbacoa santa gertrudis to me, later known as la diosa/bazaar/sluiz... i never heard the name "how down" before though, that's why i didn't say anything! :D

Colin actually spelt it How Down , I should have realised it was possibly a typo. It certainly is the place (La diosa/sluiz) , thanks Mc!

Back