NAS + BISHOP NEHRU | IBIZA ROCKS | 09/07/14

McRackin

Super Moderator
Undoubtedly the highlight of this season's Ibiza Rocks line-up: Nas performing his classic album Illmatic on its 20th anniversary (Mallorca Rocks on tuesday had Skrillex instead). The concert was filmed by MTV and will be on your screen in august.

030+-+copia.JPG

The 17-year-old New Yorker Markel Scott a.k.a. Bishop Nehru has various self-released mixtapes and he recently signed to Nas' Mass Appeal Records, who called him the future of music. He also teamed up with Disclosure, who produced his song "You Stressin".

After fifteen minutes of DJ Juanyto on the warm-up duties, the young rapper joined him on stage to present his arsenal of songs with a humble attitude that gained him numerous new fans. "You Stressin" or the excellent "Darkness" were some of the favourites among the crowd.

Speaking with people later, the consensus was unanimous: everybody was very impressed with Nehru!

070+-+copia.JPG

Often cited as the best Hip Hop album of the '90s along with Dr. Dre's The Chronic, Illmatic crowned Nasir Jones as one of the greatest street poets and lives up to the hype that precedes it. Two decades later his musical masterpiece has been re-released as Illmatic XX (with a remastered version of the all-killer-no-filler album and a bonus disc with rare material from that period of his career) and he's touring the world performing the whole album. A documentary about Nasty Nas' rise to success and the making of his seminal debut, titled Time Is Illmatic, will be released in october.

Backed by DJ Green Lantern, the NYC legend put on a great show which consisted of a first part dedicated to all the songs from the album (minus "One Time 4 Your Mind") in almost its original order followed by a second part with various hits from his other albums, like "The Message", "If I Ruled the World (Imagine That)", "Hate Me Now", "Got Ur Self A Gun", "Made You Look", "One Mic", etc. Having seen a relatively recent show from him on TV with the full live band behind him, I thought I would miss more musicians on the stage but I forgot that little detail as soon as he appeared, straight from the dungeons of Rap, and slapped us in the face with "N.Y. State Of Mind", "Life's A Bitch", "The World Is Yours", "One Love", "It Ain't Hard To Tell" (which samples "Human Nature" by Michael Jackson, his all time favourite artist as he mentioned in the presentation), etc. He came, he conquered and he caused mass hysteria!

Many people that haven't been to Ibiza Rocks in the past had to venture into San Antonio: to see here one of the last greats from that '90s golden era performing one of the most influential albums ever is not a common occurrence.

396+-+copia.JPG

Afterwards, straight to Es Paradis's after show for some post-concert mojitos...

Ibiza Rocks line-ups and tickets here:
:arrow: http://www.ibiza-spotlight.com/night/promoters/ibiza_rocks_i.htm

Back