Mosquito bites

JH1967

Sorry, not the most interesting topic (very boring) but I would love some advice.
I’ve been going to Ibiza almost every summer for past 19 years, I’ve have usually got a few mosquito bites.
However in recent summers I have been bitten badly, especially last week. Most of our group got bitten this year.
I didn’t get any for our first 4 days however on our last day that changed. I woke up the next morning at home covered in bites; arms, legs- especially my ankles and even a couple on my face. About 35 in total (yes I counted them?). They were quite sore, swollen, incredibly itchy and I couldn’t put shoes on all week. Doc gave me an Antihistamine which workers wonders and an antibiotic as he thought they might get infected.
They are all fine now and disappeared in about 6 days.

I am just wondering is this common. It is actually putting me off a little returning. I thought I had taken precautions for this, mosiquito spray and a band I would put on my wrist. They obviously didn’t work.
Is there anything I can do to try and stop this? Is Sept a particularly bad time of the year for this? Maybe San Antonio (where I usually stay) is worse for this is comparison to other areas?

Any advice would be appreciated

I've found them to be the worst this year, had 4 bad bites last week that are still swollen and bruised today, like yourself I react very badly to them.

They only way I can get them to stop biting me is to use a spray with a high percentage of DEET, jungle formula is the best I've used. My god it's strong I spray it outside otherwise it's like CS gas !

Iam paranoid about them, and tried all sorts, but unless it has DEET in the provention they will eventually get me. Sure people will say lemon and herbal stuff but it simply doesn't last long enough.

The Ibiza Mozzies seem to be tiny, but they have a tasty bite.

Did you see the video of James from Solardo ? They had literally eaten him alive !

All the best

Not sure if this is available in UK or Spain either. But the only one which really helps me against mosquitos is called Anti-Brumm (sorry it‘s German one, but really the best prevention). Additionally you could take predisolon oraly, which is available here in Spain in pharmacies (please ask a doctor before) But I would prefer sone anoits, like hydrocort after a bite.

What you described is not common, but could happen to people how have allergies in general, which I‘m used to. Allergies might also suddenly appear, so I would observe if this was a one time reaction. September has been quite rainy here this year, so a lot of mosquitos during that time. Nevertheless the bites are always much more aggresive for me here and always swelling badly.

Additionally.. a really natural solution, take a bath at the sea. Today, I‘ve forgotten to take the „Anti-Brumm“ and the bites swall immediately, so I was going swimming and everything was fine afterwards.

All the best, too.

Last edited:
Brumm is another good spray that contains DEET. Life systems 100 plus also another good spray with DEET - you can purchase any of these from Amazon.

Also get an after bite " pen " these contain ammonia and help with the itching and pain.

Might sound daft but i use a spray from Avon called 'skin so soft' and have done for for about 15 years going back to my fishing days, its about £3 for a decent sized bottle (250ml maybe). Smells nice, makes your skin look and feel good and mozzies stay well away. Great stuff

Might sound daft but i use a spray from Avon called 'skin so soft' and have done for for about 15 years going back to my fishing days, its about £3 for a decent sized bottle (250ml maybe). Smells nice, makes your skin look and feel good and mozzies stay well away. Great stuff
I’ve heard this before too

me and the woman where the same this year, I rarely get any bites when I'm away but this year I got quiet a few and so did she ones on our arms ,legs and necks very annoying but mine really started to get bigger when I got home after a few days , a few of them on my legs rose up like a pizza and itchy as f*** they became that bad I had to get the doctor on call to give me a prescription to sort it out which was a cream and some tablets which after a day they disappeared. The wee cunts must be on steroids over there at the moment lol

Only ever get bitten by mozzies while in Ibiza. Don't get bitten by them in other places I've visited and don't get bitten by the midges at home.

Same for us this year - hardly ever get bitten, but both me and the misses got about 10 bites each during the course of the holiday (got back yesterday).

officially the worst year ever for mozzies accoring to the local press. mozzies, tiger mozzies and black fly, known as noseeums by the americans. it's been a nightmare. happily i'm in storm lorenzo at the moment so not a mozzie in sight!

I was mauled at the salines car park in the space of about 45 seconds. never known them attack so fast. the one day I didn't go prepared!

was ok the rest of the time. I recommend "FUERTE REPELENTE INSECTOS" from Mercadona. spray in small orange plastic bottle [warning: it stinks]. very effective deterrent imo.

there may be some creams/anti-hists that soothe the itching but I also find swimming helps a bit during that initial 24 hour scratchfest

I found they were pretty much non existent where I stayed (figueretes) and anywhere I walked in Eivissa (pretty much the entire town I explored by foot). I went for a motorcycle ride each day exploring the east and west shore lines and also barely seen anything. At Cala Gracioneta I got bit twice, once each way walking along the rocks from Cala Gracio but that was it. People I was with throughout the ten days were also complaining about getting bit but I spent a LOT of time outside and didnt notice the issue.

Shrugs?

EDIT: The week of rain prior to my stay likely had an effect on them having puddles and breeding grounds to multiply rapidly.

Noooooooooo! Is this something new there? Is this just a Sept/ Oct thing?

Nothing works for them, not even most DEET products. You have to basically cover yourself in some type of thick oil/ greese. They are also too small for most window screens and bed nets (mosquiteros)to keep out. Wifey wants to relocate just for that. One of the main benefits of the Med over the Caribbean is that there were not there, so you can enjoy being outside!

Nothing works for them, not even most DEET products. You have to basically cover yourself in some type of thick oil/ greese. They are also too small for most window screens and bed nets (mosquiteros)to keep out. Wifey wants to relocate just for that. One of the main benefits of the Med over the Caribbean is that there were not there, so you can enjoy being outside!
an unwelcome invader from the ebro delta according to the press.

I got absolutely ravaged by those on Jost van Dyke at sundown by the harbour. The best defence is simply staying up a hill somewhere with a breeze as they never seem to be a problem away from the shore.

I got absolutely ravaged by those on Jost van Dyke at sundown by the harbour. The best defence is simply staying up a hill somewhere with a breeze as they never seem to be a problem away from the shore.
A good breeze helps, worse by the water but they even get you in the hills on humid/still days.

you never get used to them.

I've found them to be the worst this year, had 4 bad bites last week that are still swollen and bruised today, like yourself I react very badly to them.

They only way I can get them to stop biting me is to use a spray with a high percentage of DEET, jungle formula is the best I've used. My god it's strong I spray it outside otherwise it's like CS gas !

Iam paranoid about them, and tried all sorts, but unless it has DEET in the provention they will eventually get me. Sure people will say lemon and herbal stuff but it simply doesn't last long enough.

The Ibiza Mozzies seem to be tiny, but they have a tasty bite.

Did you see the video of James from Solardo ? They had literally eaten him alive !

All the best
Yes I did see the clip of James from Solarado on social media.. he got bitten so bad! Fisher found it hilarious!
Thanks for the advice, I will have to carry a spray with me at all times next year and will make sure it’s high in DEET. I can’t have it happening again like it did last week!

Back