Mark Ronson + Lion Babe @ Ibiza Rocks (09-09-15)

McRackin

Super Moderator
This week we had the hitmaker Mark Ronson at the Ibiza Rocks Hotel on his own, instead of with his partner in crime Zane Lowe like the last times...

The Shorebitch squad was out in full force for its debut on the island with their urban flavoured, anything goes music policy. The London boys warmed up the early arrivals, who clearly loved it... now that's what I call a fine job!

P1260895+-+copia.JPG

Lion Babe are one of the biggest rising stars of the moment. The Neo Soul duo from New York, comprised of singer Jillian Hervey (daughter of 90s Pop star Vanessa Williams) and Lucas Goodman on keys, debuted on the island last june at the AMP event in Dalt Vila.

Their blend of Soul and electronic music is truly fabulous. Surrounded by their live band, on their debut at Ibiza Rocks we heard "Intro", "Jump Hi", "Jungle Lady" and "Treat Me Like Fire" from last year's self-titled debut EP, the new single "Wonder Woman" (which was produced by Pharrell Williams) and various of the songs that will be part of their debut album, which is set to be released later this year. Special mention to the beautiful Jillian who really blew our socks off with her mesmerizing voice, wild energy and stunning image, dancing non-stop and singing on her knees or even lying on the floor.

Those who like to arrive just in time for the main artists but ignore the opening bands missed probably the best support act of the season!

P1260985+-+copia.JPG

Musical mastermind Mark Ronson has been part of the Rocks story from the start, playing at Bar M in 2006 and 2007 (not only as a dj but also with his live band), at Ibiza Rocks Hotel the last four summers with Zane Lowe (in 2011 for Ibiza Rocks and the rest for W.A.R!) and even at Pikes in 2013 for Freddie Mercury's birthday bash. Nowadays Ronson, who's considered one of the world's hottest producers and whose fourth studio album Uptown Special (2015) became his first number one on the UK albums chart, is more popular than ever before and is enjoying a well-deserved success with global smash hit "Uptown Funk".

The eclectic musician, dj and producer has impeccable musical taste so we knew he would funk up the place. Accompanied by two MCs (Theophilus London and Cupid Ramone), he did a more Hip Hop orientated two-thirds of the show, which included his biggest singles like "Feel Right", "Ooh Wee", "Bang Bang Bang" or "Uptown Funk", but my favourite part of the set arrived with a Soul selection featuring Amy Winehouse's version of The Zutons' "Valerie" (a standout moment with literally everybody in the hotel singing along), "Shake Your Body (Down To The Ground)" by The Jacksons or "I Wanna Be Your Lover" by Prince among others, to return right at the end to the Hip Hop sounds. Inevitably the worldwide hit single "Uptown Funk" was played again to close the night and I'm sure nobody complained about the tune being played twice!

Great dj set but I hope next time we have the chance to see him with the band instead of as a disc-spinner.

P1270255+-+copia.JPG

On a curious note, around twenty people from APNEEF (the association of people with special needs of Ibiza and Formentera) were in attendance so a viewing platform was specially installed for them... nice one.

Not the greatest feeling when you realize last night was the penultimate date of the summer... tickets for the Ibiza Rocks closing with The Courteneers are available here.

Lion Babe setlist:
Intro
Whole
Wonder Woman
Jump Hi
Jungle Lady
Satisfy My Love
Mardis Gras Beat
Stressed Out
Impossible
Where Do We Go
Treat Me Like Fire