Jellyfish situation?

No jellyfish at Salinas yesterday. With the water temp (+17, warming up to +18 in the after noon) you would probably too numb to notice any stings anyway :)

Too cold! That’s U.K. peak summer sea temperatures in mid-August. Wouldn’t catch me in water under about 22c. Though the older I get maybe 25c is my floor now.

yeah the app is only as good as the amount of people that actively collaborate and update on the situation
You have to update it on the beach though - the app checks you GPS location. No way to enter my yesterday's observation of no jellyfish at Cala San Vicente.

here's a good example of how quick things go in regards to our 'medusas'...

this morning I took a group down to sa pedrera de cala d'hort - aka atlantis. when we got there, I fished two jellyfish out of a pretty big surface (as a guide I'm obviously equipped with a mask and a net and am always the first one in the water). I searched for about 5 mins and found only two so we went all swimming and jumping. half an hour later, a tiny bit of current and waves came in and it took 5 minutes of that for the same area that I previously had checked to be suddenly inhabitated by about a dozen jellyfish. luckily no one got stung, but this is just to prove how quickly the conditions can change.

if you are an active holidaymaker and are planning to beach-hop during your ibiza trip, then here are my three recommendations apart from checking the above mentioned jellyfish app:

1. always choose beaches which are on the leewardside of the wind. say if you've got wind coming from the southwest, you're better off going to es cavallet, cala llonga, cala boix etc... of course though this rule isn't failproof, because if it's the first day the wind just changed and the wind was previously from the opposite direction, then the jellyfish might still be in that area you're going.

2. buy a diving mask and a snorkel. wear it when you do your first round when you get to a new beach. with a mask you'll easily see the jellyfish from quite a distance.

3. buy a small round net on a stick. they cost nothing and they're super handy to catch the jellies.

2. buy a diving mask and a snorkel. wear it when you do your first round when you get to a new beach. with a mask you'll easily see the jellyfish from quite a distance.
LOL, most of the stings I got happened when swimming with a mask. I think I am just a lot more careless with a mask, thinking I can swim carefully and avoid them, and then STING!!

A net on a stick is a great idea, will get one. Will surely be fun to hunt and kill jellyfish instead of just avoiding! Though not sure about tentacles protruding from the net (or remaining stuck to the net after you threw away the jellyfish you just caught) - I guess one must swim very carefully to avoid being stung by them.

LOL, most of the stings I got happened when swimming with a mask. I think I am just a lot more careless with a mask, thinking I can swim carefully and avoid them, and then STING!!

A net on a stick is a great idea, will get one. Will surely be fun to hunt and kill jellyfish instead of just avoiding! Though not sure about tentacles protruding from the net (or remaining stuck to the net after you threw away the jellyfish you just caught) - I guess one must swim very carefully to avoid being stung by them.

after a while you get the hang of the net thing. it's very useful. and yes of course, if you've fished out a few jellyfish you shouldn't touch the net as there can still be bits of tentacles in the mesh (and that could indeed sting). so just put the net in a small bag that you only use for that and you're good.

with the rising sea temperatures, overfishing of the mediterranean and thus less predators around, the jellyfish population will keep growing. if you're asking yourself what the jellyfish are good for, the answer is, they're the turtles favourite snack.

after a while you get the hang of the net thing. it's very useful. and yes of course, if you've fished out a few jellyfish you shouldn't touch the net as there can still be bits of tentacles in the mesh (and that could indeed sting). so just put the net in a small bag that you only use for that and you're good.

with the rising sea temperatures, overfishing of the mediterranean and thus less predators around, the jellyfish population will keep growing. if you're asking yourself what the jellyfish are good for, the answer is, they're the turtles favourite snack.
turtles, tuna but also dolphins, sharks and whales

Back