JAKE BUGG + CATFISH & THE BOTTLEMEN | IBIZA ROCKS | 16/07/14

McRackin

Super Moderator
Announced only ten days ago, this week saw the first collaboration between new music radio show BBC Introducing and Ibiza Rocks, with more to follow. The Welsh dj Huw Stephens (also presenter of In Huw's Music We Trust) warmed up the crowd nicely with two sets before the bands, both actually being among Introducing's biggest supported acts.

003+-+copia.JPG

Welsh indie rockers Catfish & The Bottlemen have various singles and are set to release their debut album The Balcony in september. Having hardly heard anything from them, I was very curious about this band.

The very young quartet stormed the stage with an energetic set that included songs like "Pacifier", "Kathleen", "Fallout", "Sidewinder", "Homesick" or "Tyrants". The concert felt way too short and left me, and I'm sure many more as well, gagging for more.

Judging by what we heard yesterday, The Balcony is going to be one hell of a debut... looking forward to it!

137e+-+copia.JPG

We first saw Jake Bugg in 2012 supporting Ben Howard three months before his self-titled first album was released and debuted at number one on the UK albums chart; he returned in 2013 as an international star to headline the Ibiza Rocks opening party; and he was back once again last night to present his sophomore album, which had the highly respected Rick Rubin behind the controls and was named Shangri La after the bearded producer's Malibu studio.

The twenty-year-old singer and songwriter from Nottingham came on stage alone with his acoustic guitar to play "Strange Creatures" (taken from the EP Messed Up Kids), after which he was joined by his band (drummer Jack Atherton and bassist Tom Robertson) to go through the 70-minute repertoire. He mixed stuff from the latest album, a bit less Folk and more Rock (no doubt working with Rubin had something to do with the rawer sound), with his earlier material (including "Kentucky" and "Green Man" from the EP Taste It). "There's a Beast And We All Feed It", "Trouble Town", "Seen It All", "Me And You", "Storm Passes Away", "Two Fingers", "Messed Up Kids", "Ballad Of Mr Jones", "Simple Pleasures" and "Kingpin" were some of the many highlights of the evening, with the audience singing them all word-by-word with Bugg. The surprise came with the cover of Johnny Cash's "Folsom Prison Blues" before finishing with an extended version of his biggest single, "Lightning Bolt".

My favourite gig of the season so far, along with Swim Deep.

249+-+copia.JPG

MTV were, once again, filming the whole thing so we'll be able to see a 30-minute resume later in the season, including also footage of Bugg playing some songs acoustically at Ibiza Rocks House at Pikes. Talking of Ibiza's very first rural hotel, later on after the concerts it got quite messy up there as the promoter Rock Nights celebrated their 9th anniversary and the birthday of their long standing resident dj Colin Peters...

Ibiza Rocks line-ups and tickets here:
:arrow: http://www.ibiza-spotlight.com/night/promoters/ibiza_rocks_i.htm

#Rocks10Archives: Interview with Catfish and The Bottlemen
From making their Ibiza debut supporting Jake Bugg to headlining the Rocks Stage in their own right this summer check out our chat from back in July with Van from Catfish and the Bottlemen.

:arrow: VIDEO

Back