Is it really this bad?

Always quite enjoyed the trash celebs being eclipsed by the party...this is nothing new and was part of the allure.

Only problem is that now the party is FOR them. They arrive to be adored by virtue of their cash, stepping through the velvet ropes, ignoring the lineage that came before them and missing the trick - that self assumed status perpetuates shyte.

Ive been to plenty of clubs over the years that celebs have attended. Difference was they kept themselves to them selves and most people didnt even clock they were there. Beiber and the like are there to be seen...

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: ....... YAWN ........ why can't they just stay in Miami & St Tropez ? LDC is a twat too - they all are really. All been said before, it's just the modern 'celeb' way. Drives me to loathe them, rather than accept them into fold as fellow man. Absolute antithesis of what Ibiza of old used to be about. 'fraid the peace, love and harmony thing got taken out by a flying champagne cork and wound up crushed fine with an Amex Black.

But up in the little store just before the turning to Aigues Blanques, the local residents stocking up on bread and water only hear about what's happening via stories shared over a bottle of San Miguel. Some things haven;t changed. Go see for yourself ! :cool:

There's already been threads on this, but if you take that article seriously, you either haven't been to Ibiza before, or you're doing it wrong. It's either very poor journalism or a deliberate attempt to "soften the blow" and prevent loads of kids flocking to the island, either way, it suits me.

As for the "celeb" stuff, rich people have flocked to Ibiza for years (the richest being people you've never heard of, for good reason), they're not in your way, just ignore them.

I think these 'celebs' are trying to be cool , the fact about Ibiza is that you never needed to be 'cool' to enjoy the vibe and anything went, like it’s been said a few times on here, famous and not so famous people would dance together in clubs and no one would bat an eye - surely that's what used to draw them to the island, the fact that they could enjoy themselves without everyone asking for an autograph or a selfie with them. The reason we are getting the likes of TOWIE coming to the island is because of these celebs being splashed over every paper and magazine. I'm heading out Sept and hope this craziness would have subsided by then..

As for the "celeb" stuff, rich people have flocked to Ibiza for years (the richest being people you've never heard of, for good reason), they're not in your way, just ignore them.

I think you missed the point that has already been highlighted here and are confusing certain PITA spoiled celebrities with rich people generally. No-one minds rich people (I certainly don't) provided they keep a low profile and don't dominate / try to dominate places. As for not being in my way, celebs often most certainly are in my way when they start behaving like that video surrounded by a load of security and being indulged and pandered to by restaurants and clubs. That's not being low key or staying out of peoples' way - it's making a public spectacle of themselves to attract attention. Famous names quietly 'getting on with it' like everyone else and enjoying blending in - not a problem. That used to be commonplace.

They're completely in the way! Space used to have a strict 'No VIPs' policy...now the entire club experience is set up to promenade and reinforce their mundanity.

If by doing it wrong you're meaning that I need to get a higher paid job and go down on a security guy for red carpet validation purposes then goodness me you may just be right. Ta for the epiphany.

Always hate these "not what it used to be" threads, as usually it is the people that write them that have changed!

We all used to say that Ibiza is a no-go place in August, and I think that that is now more true than ever. At the end of the day Ushuaia have got it ALL so right in terms of their line-ups. July / August is all about Pop/EDM. They attract the kids, popstars, soap star and uncool rich people who think that this is a good time!

Pretty much from 01 September the kids are back in school the Celebs and EuroTrash are no longer on holiday, and things revert back to what they were like in June/early July. Basically AVOID Ibiza from Mid July to End of August and things like the above will be less of an issue....

Nostalgia is healthy.

And I loved the busyness of August in 2000...seeing privilege packed to the rafters for Renaissance and doing Space's birthday that year was brilliant!

Pouring scorn over the island is a bit dull yes...but it's the bloody truth. The clubs are for the rich and the spirit of the party is no longer about inclusion.

Surely its not just Ibiza, but the whole clubbing culture that has moved on? Are the illegal raves of the 90s still happening in the UK?

I'm too young to have experienced the so called Golden age of Ibiza, so I cant compare back then to now, but I still see dance floors full of people who are enjoying the music, enjoying the atmosphere and enjoying each other. They certainly aren't all sat in the VIP area sipping champagne and crawling up each other's arses. If it's as dead and buried as everyone claims, why are you still here?

Society as a whole has been reduced to Twat level extreme in recent years with celeb bullshit, War, the dumb masses consuming shitter music, Rik Mayall dying and kanye west living, corruption, everyone owned by thier phones etc.

Though feeling quite depressed reading this thread, and so may have to change a few plans for this year's visit, hopefully we will be visiting the special places that matter to us, away from the bellends :)

Always hate these "not what it used to be" threads, as usually it is the people that write them that have changed!

We all used to say that Ibiza is a no-go place in August, and I think that that is now more true than ever. At the end of the day Ushuaia have got it ALL so right in terms of their line-ups. July / August is all about Pop/EDM. They attract the kids, popstars, soap star and uncool rich people who think that this is a good time!

Pretty much from 01 September the kids are back in school the Celebs and EuroTrash are no longer on holiday, and things revert back to what they were like in June/early July. Basically AVOID Ibiza from Mid July to End of August and things like the above will be less of an issue....

You're missing the point. EDM and clientele are obviously evil but they are only a symptom of the wider problem - that ibiza just got too greedy/mainstream and that the interesting people, the dancers, the freaks, the mavericks simply aren't welcome anymore. Moondust summed it up well.

A At the end of the day Ushuaia have got it ALL so right in terms of their line-ups. July / August is all about Pop/EDM. They attract the kids, popstars, soap star and uncool rich people who think that this is a good time!

Ants still keeps the underground sound thankfully, I would recommend it. It was even free last year (with pre email sign up) Shame its gone to 35 Euros this year though.

Nothing much to say other than what has been said, agree with Kimajy.

For me Dc-10 still has that something special.. hard to say what it is, but it still does it for me every time.

Back