How's Your Year Been? (2023)

Buckley

So here we (still!) are:
Last year:

Me: Another decent year for us. Dad's Parkinson's is still ok, his meds still give him constant headaches, but keep all other symptoms at bay. Boy 1's Autism is still a feature, but he's doing really well and miles ahead of the worst case scenario we had a couple of years ago. Boy 2's been a bit crazy, ADHD diagnosis makes a bit of sense of it and we continue to convince his really good school we'll never agree he'd better some where else :lol:!

We started the year in Cancun, had a great trip to Ibiza in August, where the legend and great friend that is @stivi got us all, 10 year old and 8 year old included, around a really nice coastal hike in the north of the Island. Best to skate over the April trip to Tenerife, where I had food poisioning in full effect before leaving and only managed to fly there and back, and keep the kids entertained out there, with industrial quantities of Imodium (me not them!) Had a great weekend in Norfolk, in May, and reminded myself that some really good destinations don't require a plane.

Somehow, I'm still playing football, all ages as well as Veterans. No injuries so far this season, which I'm fairly sure is a function of being largely teetotal. The couple of exceptions took less than 12 hours to remind me why I don't drink anymore!:lol:

By far the biggest discovery of my year has been rugby! I'd always imagined I'd end up coaching my boys at football, with me still playing, and running a football club. That wasn't to be, however, and it turns out both by boys are keen on egg-chasing. And I'm now coaching too! Who'd have thunk it?

Last year I said:
"In the wider world, I sometimes despair at my many of countrymen - Brexiteers, Tory voters, tabloid readers - what would it take for them to stop being fooled by the lying elite class who rob them daily? I consider our family relatively lucky to as yet be insulated from the effects of the huge cost of living increases, but it seems for those worrying whether to eat or heat, Old Etonians are less to blame than desperate foreigners."
Hopefully we'll have an election by the time we consider our fortunes, next year!

Meanwhile, I know so little about Israel/Palestine, I can't comment without betraying my ignorance, but I wish something good would happen for all the children. Likewise Russia/Ukraine. All the shit that such innocents are born into are a world away from my experience, and when I imagine children with the same challenges mine have being born into poverty, fundamentalism and warfare, I can't really cope with the enormity of the gulf in pure chance. Please, please let their luck change, somehow.

E2A: Forgot about Dubai in July. Too hot, but that's our fault for when went. That aside, not for me, wouldn't go back.

How was it for you?

Last edited:
So here we (still!) are:
Last year:

Me: Another decent year for us. Dad's Parkinson's is still ok, his meds still give him constant headaches, but keep all other symptoms at bay. Boy 1's Autism is still a feature, but he's doing really well and miles ahead of the worst case scenario we had a couple of years ago. Boy 2's been a bit crazy, ADHD diagnosis makes a bit of sense of it and we continue to convince his really good school we'll never agree he'd better some where else :lol:!

We started the year in Cancun, had a great trip to Ibiza in August, where the legend and great friend that is @stivi got us all, 10 year old and 8 year old included, around a really nice coastal hike in the north of the Island. Best to skate over the April trip to Tenerife, where I had food poisioning in full effect before leaving and only managed to fly there and back, and keep the kids entertained out there, with industrial quantities of Imodium (me not them!) Had a great weekend in Norfolk, in May, and reminded myself that some really good destinations don't require a plane.

Somehow, I'm still playing football, all ages as well as Veterans. No injuries so far this season, which I'm fairly sure is a function of being largely teetotal. The couple of exceptions took less than 12 hours to remind me why I don't drink anymore!:lol:

By far the biggest discovery of my year has been rugby! I'd always imagined I'd end up coaching my boys at football, with me still playing, and running a football club. That wasn't to be, however, and it turns out both by boys are keen on egg-chasing. And I'm now coaching too! Who'd have thunk it?

Last year I said:
"In the wider world, I sometimes despair at my many of countrymen - Brexiteers, Tory voters, tabloid readers - what would it take for them to stop being fooled by the lying elite class who rob them daily? I consider our family relatively lucky to as yet be insulated from the effects of the huge cost of living increases, but it seems for those worrying whether to eat or heat, Old Etonians are less to blame than desperate foreigners."
Hopefully we'll have an election by the time we consider our fortunes, next year!

Meanwhile, I know so little about Israel/Palestine, I can't comment without betraying my ignorance, but I wish something good would happen for all the children. Likewise Russia/Ukraine. All the shit that such innocents are born into are a world away from my experience, and when I imagine children with the same challenges mine have being born into poverty, fundamentalism and warfare, I can't really cope with the enormity of the gulf in pure chance. Please, please let their luck change, somehow.

E2A: Forgot about Dubai in July. Too hot, but that's our fault for when went. That aside, not for me, wouldn't go back.

How was it for you?
If you guys ever fancy a trip to Bristol for the rugby, let me know and I’ll sort you out (in a non-violent way!)

2023 for me....
  • Big news was the new puppy arriving- after years and years of putting it off, me working from home full time now meant that we could finally push the button on it and he arrived with us in August. Full of beans and a naughty little bugger, but looking back, we should have done it years ago
  • Tough year work wise with downsizing at my current place (although I have avoided it....for now....), and losing some really good friends because of it
  • Working hard on my MBA- it is like doing another full time job on top of my full time job, but it's going well so far. Only another 18 months to go!
  • Trips wise, had an amazing fortnight in Italy in our final abroad trip in the before dog times- stunning places, amazing food, bonkers locals- we absolutely love it over there
  • Did the one trip to Ibiza with a group of what felt like 200 of us- was a pretty full on clubbing few days and ended up with a very uncharacteristic 7am finish at Pacha on the final "quiet" night
  • Then it was Glastonbury as usual, Printworks Closing and lots of other bits and bobs throughout the year, sport, comedy, gigs
  • Healthwise- not entirely sure to be honest. Feeling very heavy at the moment, whether that's emotionally or physically, it's hard to tell, but keep getting stuck in these fugs. The New Year will be a chance to try and right that, get running again and get entered for a couple of 10ks and a half marathon hopefully

• Did the one trip to Ibiza with a group of what felt like 200 of us- was a pretty full on clubbing few days and ended up with a very uncharacteristic 7am finish at Pacha on the final "quiet" night

Excuse me if i'm wrong - did you go to the Camelphat night on 19th September and talk a load of bollocks with me in the queue for the taxis after?

2023 was the year I never wanted to happen, but which needed to finally happen, when I was dragged kicking and screaming into reality after years coasting. The year I lost my job but entered a brave new world. The year I travelled more than ever before, although the biggest journey of all was within, knowing I didn’t have to answer to anyone anymore except me. The year I finally gained the confidence to speak and write in 3 languages and launch a new Substack newsletter which has had a lot of positive feedback. The year I severed my remaining ties with clubbing, on the basis there’s no going back, with full confirmation that everything I ever knew is over and that my love of music is heading in a whole different direction. Also the year we finally overcame the brexit shitheap and I got my girl back. The year I realised how fiendishly complicated the world is now, even if many pals still saw things in black/white.. and above all the year I realised life’s too short to worry about crap anymore.

2023 for me....
  • Big news was the new puppy arriving- after years and years of putting it off, me working from home full time now meant that we could finally push the button on it and he arrived with us in August. Full of beans and a naughty little bugger, but looking back, we should have done it years ago
I thought you were teasing and the photo was coming shortly....

Happy holidays everyone! The 2nd half of the year was quite busy for me so I am not reading/ posting as often as I would like.

2023 was interesting. My wife and I had finally called it quits on our property management "side hustle". Too many building collapses, police calls, people with mental health issues and neighbors knocking on the door at 6am with dead cats in hand for my liking. Too much stress on top of my day job.

We also left our tiny island (St Thomas) this summer. My initial plan was to return to Puerto Rico and work remotely, splitting time between Spain/Argentina and USA. After a long and exhausting job hunt, the best option turned out to be a hybrid role, that required a move to Florida. I am getting paid a lot more, but it wasn't the "dream", so I have a bit of soul searching to do. The boys are getting older so it might be time to settle down. I am trying to embrace gratitude in it all, as we are definitely still on the up side, not down.

After being in the Caribbean wilderness for 15 years, Florida feels luxurious. We are technically closer to my folks up in Ohio, making visits easier and we have more direct/ cheap flights to Buenos Aires and Barcelona from Miami, so that's a plus.

2023 Ibiza was a good trip. Wifey got to meet her heroes at Hi and Chinois. I got my hierbas and beach time... Looking forward to May 2024!

We lost another dog (13y/o) in September... leaving us with our oldest, an Chihuahua that turns 18 y/o this weekend. To celebrate, we adopted a new baby, 9 w/o Boston terrier. It's the boys first time with a real puppy, so our house is chaos.

I will upload photos of the dogs if I can figure it out.

Anyway, hope all is well with everyone here. Merry Christmas and happy New Year!

Last edited:
Back