Es Vedra - my story & Lost...

Does anyone know if you can scale Es Vedra - obviously with consent. I would be very interested.

i'm surprised Pacha haven't tried to build a club there so they can charge 1000 euro entry fee....

Well, with Paris Hilton and her new found love for the island you never know.
She will get on well con las cabras! :twisted:

theres all kinds of beasties!! :lol:

3069181574_60c7cc4193.jpg

vicenteplanellsmari

This is a very beautiful picture. I was on a boat tour to Es Vedra and we saw about ten goats going about their day. It was fascinating to watch how well they climbed the steep sides of the mountain!

****ing silly goats destroying es vedra !?!

"...
... When Joan Rita landed in 2010 in Es Vedra took a sofocón. This professor of botany department Menorca Biology Universitat de les Illes Balears found a different picture to that found five decades ago: "I have known is Vedrà with and without goats, and the change has been dramatic. I was there in the mid 80's, when he had just such animals. The whole flora of the island has changed substantially since then: the plants were much larger, much greater diversity of plant, there were many endemics just inside the island, anywhere, to find them but you had to climb the walls, "he explains.

Author with Antonio Mateu, Gabriel Bibiloni, Joana Cursach, Jose Maria Castro and Maria Antonia Cerda's 'Study of the threatened flora of the Nature Reserves des Vedra, is Vedranell and the islands of Ibiza Ponent' space in 2012 celebrates its tenth anniversary, blames ruminants that live there to this alteration, very significant, in his view: "It's the biggest impact is in the reserve. Cause erosion by how they step, but also use postaderos, preferably defecate sites. It is a very large amount of nitrogen that completely changes the soil characteristics. "

Hence, the scientist believes that "keeping a herd there is something incomprehensible from all points of view, it is an island that has a rich endemic flora that can only be found already in the walls because otherwise they eat '. Rita believes that "endanger the endemic" and just that there are "no arrival there the goats." Literally, the most valuable plants will climb the walls to escape these herbivores. They retain only the species that "are able to colonize the cracks of rocks." The botanist is not aware of any which has expired.

In the past two decades since your last visit "has greatly simplified the flora, which is much more banal, vegetation roads, humanized and disturbed sites." The number of plants "is smaller and smaller" because these ruminants are the Samphan. "I could have there a kind of garden of endemic flora and there is now an island with flora of disturbed areas," he warns.

The problem has a solution: "The first thing to do is get out of it these goats. The situation is really deplorable. We have spent many years saying it. This is a very known by the Administration. From the environmental point of view is unacceptable, "reasons convincing, but his voice soft and quiet. The destruction is caused, in his view, "so strong that surpasses that would cause the man if he agreed freely to the island." Currently, it is forbidden to land on the islands belonging to the reserves ...
..."

http://www.diariodeibiza.es/pitiuses-balears/2012/03/21/sobran-cabras/544663.html

"...
Es Vedrà

Neus Lliteras, the General Director of the Environment Department of the Govern,
was amongst the party which visited the Nature Reserve of es Vedrà and the western islands
last week, as part of the acts to celebrate the tenth anniversary of its foundation.

Once back she confirmed that the tradition of wild goats populating es Vedrà
would be continued, but that their numbers needed to be restricted,
as they do so much damage to the environment.

Her department had a meeting with the various proprietors of the Island in an attempt
to reach an agreement as to the numbers which need to be culled or housed elsewhere.
"We need to strike a balance and evaluate the maximum herd which can be supported
and which will not endanger any of the endemic plant life
some of which has had to retreat to rocky crevices where the goats cannot reach them".

She also mentioned the case of Cala d"Hort, where in 2002 it was agreed to create
a Natural Park, with a total surface area of 3,000 hectares, of which 2,200 would be on land.
However, the then central PP Govern restricted the area to include protection of just the islands.

..."
(theibizasun)

^^ they do eat everything ! Look out for goat stew this Season ... should be plenty of it about by the sounds of it ;)

ses roques altes, february 8th:

s5b912.jpg

21l2ux0.jpg

2a6m2yc.jpg

t8vhg8.jpg

2j0js06.jpg

65ojv5.jpg

on a curious note, the rests of the crashed plane collected by the hunters are now on the floor at the right of the chapel.....
Hello all, I just came across this, I realize there are no recent posts, just taking a shot. My brother, Jeffrey Dessak was one who perished on this flight (his name is 24 down on the left). I have never had the opportunity to visit myself, but my daughter will be there in December, and I am hoping someone can provide good directions to the memorial so she can pay her respects. Any help is appreciated.

Back