Education/Schools in Ibiza

Is ringing the education office the only way to get a list of the schools in Ibiza? Is any of this information available online for instance do any of the schools have websites? Also I have read that you have to have proof of up to date vaccinations, is that true?

Thanks

Is ringing the education office the only way to get a list of the schools in Ibiza? Is any of this information available online for instance do any of the schools have websites? Also I have read that you have to have proof of up to date vaccinations, is that true?

Thanks

You will need to speak to the education office in Spanish!! Some of the schools have websites of sorts but internet is not widely used by the schools atm. Schooling is very difficult to sort out unless you are on the island. All the villages have schools, and the metropolitan areas have several schools. Ideally you want to be checking out each of the schools you are keen to see in person.

1) You need your empadron (proof of residence) before you are able to register for schooling, to get this you need your nie, to get this you need a contract of employment OR evidence that you have 5k per adult in the bank and 3k per child and private medical insurance.
2) Evidence of up to date vaccinations is required, but this is a latter stage requirement once you have been accepted in a school.

Bear in mind the rules change often and without warning.

to get this you need your nie, to get this you need a contract of employment OR evidence that you have 5k per adult in the bank and 3k per child and private medical insurance.

And you need to have your birth certificates stamped by the apostille to verify their legality then translated into Spanish.

And you need to have your birth certificates stamped by the apostille to verify their legality then translated into Spanish.
When we applied, this was only for the children? Between our initial visit to the police station and subsequent visits when we had all documentation in order the rules had changed. Definitely worth the cost of using a Gestor, no idea on likely cost, I'm sure others can advise better on this.

ditto your marriage certificate if you want your non-working partner to bask in the benefit of your free health care.

omg this is all sounding very complicated :confused: not helping the fact I have baby brain at the moment aswell! :lol: what exactly is a gestor and what do they do? we have a basic understanding of spanish (learning all the time tho) but to ask for school information is a bit beyond me at the moment, can a gestor help with that aswell?

re the vaccinations, what sort of proof do they want? my kids do not have all their jabs and at the moment I have no intention of giving them anymore (due to health and other reasons) does that mean they will not be accepted in a school????!

1) You need your empadron (proof of residence) before you are able to register for schooling, to get this you need your nie, to get this you need a contract of employment OR evidence that you have 5k per adult in the bank and 3k per child and private medical insurance.

with a contract of employment, does it have to be an Ibiza one? what are we looking at cost wise for private medical insurance? 3k per child is a lot isnt it, does that include babies aswell???

with a contract of employment, does it have to be an Ibiza one? what are we looking at cost wise for private medical insurance? 3k per child is a lot isnt it, does that include babies aswell???
Dependent siblings, so this would include a baby. It is basically the authorities wanting evidence that you can support your family for a year if you don't have a contract of employment and also have sufficient health cover.

Re the medical side of things for school entrance... when my son started school he had to be seen by a doctor and checked over and given a certificate to say that he was "fit to attend" school.... He has had all his jabs here in Spain (i don't think hardly anyone here refuses them tbh) and when they're born here they get a sort of medical checkup book and every time they go for their jabs it gets filled in.. so they check that book too at the doctors ready for school.... Not sure how you'd go on without jabs....

A "gestor" is a solicitor who can do/get all your paperwork done for you for a fee....

thats like in the uk, they have a 'red book' that gets filled in whenever they have a jab. Im presuming this would be what they would use for uk kids? Can anyone that has moved with kids from the uk confirm what they do regarding jabs please?

thanks

Just out of interest does anyone know if there are any Home Schooling/ Home Educating groups in Ibiza?

After searching the forums I found a quote and telephone number on here but it's from 2009!

Thanks

May be too late to respond to this one
-
I've seen some information re home schooling, ie. people do it.

I'm an experienced teacher looking to establish support, tutoring and resources/guidance for those who want to home educate. I cover secondary, and I'm working with two other people who support Primary.

I am popping over on Sunday to get my kids into school in Santa Eulalia, should be ok as they are on the padron but I only have 5 days before flying back . Will let you know how it goes.

I haven't been yet, I fly out on Sunday! But I have the internet out there so will let you know next week what happens

Update-
The wheels have fallen off!

We arrived Monday morning and didn't get the kids to bed until 3am, nobody woke up before lunchtime on Monday so we decided the best course of action was to get the house etc together, get some food in the fridge and start the school thing tuesday (today).
So this morning off we go to the education office to get my son into San Ciriaco in Santa Eulalia, 3 weeks ago they had 10 spare places for him so we took it as a given that they should have some left still. Our cunning plan was to get our son into school and then apply for his sister to join the same school in September (this is admissions week where you apply for a September place), with a sibling at the school she would have more chance.

Sounds like a plan huh?

We thought so but it turns out that during admissions week they withdrawer all school places, probably the only time they don't have to find a kid a place.
They will however get my son into school from next monday when admissions week is over but at the moment we don't know which school, it's school roulette.

My son is over the moon with his extra week off, we commiserated by buying some massive gates for our front drive followed by lunch on the beach. I have got a new flight home next thursday so I don't miss my kids first day and to support mum as we did think it would be all done and dusted.

Upside is I get another 6 days to do more stuff here, I am sitting on a warm terrace and have uk radio on and it's currently raining where I live in the UK. And there is traffic on the A3. haha

In terms of what they wanted, because I am already on the Padron it was pretty simple, copies of passports, original of the padron and your EHIC card which is free from the NHS in the UK. We had lost my sons EHIC but told them we would get one when I go back to the UK and they were fine with that.

I will let you know what happens next week if he makes it into school!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the update and the information about admissions week. Have you found out what school your son is in now? Is he starting tomorrow? So there was no mention on vaccinations then? I was looking through my sons 'red book' today and none of his vaccinations have been put in there, I think he had 4 before we stopped giving him them. My daughter has only had 2 and so far I have no intention of giving this baby any. I really dont want this to scuper any plans of my kids getting into school when we move.

I think our choice of school is now going to be down to the ones that dont want proof of vaccinations :confused:

So I guess after reading all the information about getting into schools in Ibiza, there doesnt seem to be a 'right' or a 'good' time to try???! It seems a bit of a lottery!

As my son will more than likely be 6 when we move there and my daughter 5, we are thinking now of moving to an area that does have a decent amount of ex pats with kids in school. I want my children to fit in with the Ibiza lifestyle in every way possible but wondering how hard it is for them to be in a school with predominately spanish/catalan speaking kids. Even having 1 other english speaking child there would make it a bit easier, yes??!

Good luck rewdan and keep us updated :)

All done!
The education office phoned us this morning to tell us we have a place in the school we wanted. My son starts tomorrow. The good news is he already has an English pal there (son of Weluvibiza) and also has two Spanish pals that live next door to us in Ibiza. They don't speak English and my son doesn't speak Spanish but the two kids spend more time in my house than in there own!
At the Eduction Office they needed copies of our passports and the Empadron, bear in mind that that was easy for me as I already have a house here. The health care bit they wanted was just a copy of the EHIC, free from the Nhs in the Uk. We had lost our son's one and they said 'no problem' just as long as he has got one! I will get a replacement for him next week in the UK but they weren't bothered really.
So simples really.
Now we have applied for my 3 year old daughter to go to the same school. As she has a bro there she should be moved up the list!

Brilliant, so pleased for you rewdan. What school is he going to? Great so no mention on vaccines? I feel ever so slightly relieved :)

We are completely re-thinking our move over there and now thinks its a better idea to live where there are ex pats with kids in the local schools, plus living in an area that doesnt completely shut down in the winter. Is this one of the reasons you and weluvibiza chose santa eulalia? It wasnt on my list of areas to move to as we wanted to live more on the west side but dont really want to live right in the middle of san an.

my daughter will be in the same school year as yours then rewdan :)

He's going to San Ciriaco in Santa E, and no mention of vaccines. Just bring your EHIC and you will be fine. Santa E is a much more all year town with plenty of expats, but to be honest we try to integrate with the Spanish as much a possible. As for my reasons for choosing the area, there are many, but I bought here back in the 90's, didn't really think I was going to end up here full time. (although I will still be working in the Uk for a while) You will have your own reasons for picking an area, I can recommend Santa Eulalia.

Back