De La Soul + DJ Yoda + Harley Maxwell @ Ibiza Rocks (12-08-15)

McRackin

Super Moderator
Following last summer's NAS gig, who performed his influential debut Illmatic (1994) in its entirety, this year the good people of Ibiza Rocks brought De La Soul. Funnily enough, both artists teamed up recently on a new song titled "God It".

Ley Dj, who already warmed up for Bastille last year, was added to the line-up some days ago after the originally announced Applebum Djs couldn't make it. The resident of La3 in Valencia also played later at the after party in Pikes, as she belongs to the Rock Nights roster.

P1240677+-+copia.JPG

The highlight of Spotlight and IBZ Entertainment's El Salon takeover at Space one year ago was the live PA from Harley Maxwell. With various dates on the island this summer, the up and coming MC's career is slowly but firmly expanding.

Based between Ibiza and England, Harley is a long-time friend of the Rocks family as he worked for the brand years ago. Like it happened on monday at Ibiza Rocks Bar, he was surrounded by island mates who were there to show their support. Backed by two MCs (Callum Barr aka Young Paduwan and Maxx Haigh) and a dj (Rashid Khan), his set included tracks from his recent Summer Daze EP, like the single "Monday Morning" or the jazzy "It Don't Mean A Thing " (his take on the Duke Ellington standard), and newer material like "Sure Thing".

Great Chill Hop tunes written in and inspired by Ibiza... cool stuff!

P1240814+-+copia.JPG

BBC's DJ Yoda (aka Duncan Beiny) was next with his 40 years of Hip Hop audio/visual set. As the name suggests, it was a fascinating trip back into history with classic after classic accompanied by images... great set all the way, no fillers here. His hour on stage passed in a flash, witnessing the genius that is DJ Yoda.

P1240880+-+copia.JPG

I missed De La Soul when they played on the island for the first time in 2011 at the short-lived Come Together at Space so I'm glad there was another chance to see in action one of the greatest living Hip Hop acts of all time and the authors of 3 Feet High And Rising (1989), which over 25 years since its release is still considered one of the best albums ever made.

Formed in New York in 1987 and still with its original members (Kelvin Mercer, David Jude Jolicoeur and Vincent Mason), the legendary trio's career and fan base spans decades which was reflected in the variety of ages among the audience. Their show included various songs from their masterpiece debut ("Potholes In My Lawn", "Eye Know", the huge "Me Myself And I" and "The Magic Number") and some of the can't-miss tunes from later albums, like "The Grind Date", "Ego Trippin' (Part 2)", "A Roller Skating Jam Named Saturdays" or "Ring Ring Ring (Ha Ha Hey)" for example. To close the night they played "Feel Good Inc.", their collaboration with Gorillaz. Immense, absolutely immense!

With a new album on the way very soon (the crowd-funded And The Anonymous Nobody), seems like we still have De La Soul for a long time.

P1250110+-+copia.JPG

It was a date not to be missed for the old school Hip Hop aficionados and it didn't disappoint one bit... one of the best nights of the summer!

Next week will see the return to the Balearics of another truly iconic band for the most talked about gig of the season... tickets for Spandau Ballet here.

De La Soul at Ibiza Rocks

Ibiza Rocks' does its part for Ibiza's small but stellar hip hop scene with its annual hip hop booking, drawing familiar faces of the local scene as well as tourists, all in stellar moods at the prospect of seeing a trio whose influence and creativity is unparalleled. De La Soul offered the flip side of the aggressive, ego-fuelled hip hop which made it to the mainstream, preaching peace, beats and freaky samples in perfect harmony with each other and crowd.

Jordan

:arrow: Top 15 dance floor moments of Ibiza 2015

Back