Berlins...

How far is everything apart in Berlin?

If it's nightlife you're talking about far enough apart that you'll need to use subway or cabs but not so far apart that it turns into epic journeys. Berlin is a very easy city to get about, cabs ain't to expensive either. Loads of the historical stuff / sights etc can be done on foot with the odd use of public transport thrown in for ease.

Is alexanderplatz a good base for a weekend?

I've only been the once mate so can only speak of that experience. We stayed at the Pullman across from Tiergarten / Berlin zoo, was really easy to get about from there. Bus from the airport stopped down by the zoo, subway station down by that same area, pretty much a transport hub for busses, U bahn & S bhan. The subway line to warschauer strabe for berghain went direct from there too, in between that we hoped in a cab when needed.

Thanks for all the advice :)

So where would you say is the best place to stay for lots of bars and to be near to clubs?.... Kreuzeberg or Friedrichschien?

Is alexanderplatz a good base for a weekend?

We stayed at the Park Inn at Alexanderplatz and found it convenient enough for Berghain etc. The SecretSundaze lot were playing in Panorama and were all staying there too and you'd guess they should have had decent recommendations for convenience

berghain door policy is very strict and weird. so far I always got in, but sometimes people in the line in front of me (who to me looked ok) were turned away. i also have friends who live in berlin and some of them sometimes get in, but sometimes they don't...

you could probably write a book about berghain's door, but once you're in... :)

You know what it is stivi about Berghain ? They smell the hardcore ! I always walk straight in. They know why we got into this in the first place. Bless god there are still places were we can be one and dance like there is no tomorrow.

I wish I could just say 'yes' to what you say, but believe me, a lot of friends of mine who really have grown in the scene and are pretty hardcore (to use your term) have been turned away. as I said, I've always been lucky so far. back in berlin in november, hope we'll get in then too!

I wish I could just say 'yes' to what you say, but believe me, a lot of friends of mine who really have grown in the scene and are pretty hardcore (to use your term) have been turned away. as I said, I've always been lucky so far. back in berlin in november, hope we'll get in then too!

I hope you will get in too :) Was just talking gibberish anyway. There door policy keeps everybody talking about there club so guess they have the right gimmick there :) have fun in november

You can get denied even if you are a good fit for the club. If your vibe is off and if the club is at full capacity you can get bounced.

Policy is needed due to all the tourists and the fact that they need to keep the place true to its roots and underground.

You can get denied even if you are a good fit for the club. If your vibe is off and if the club is at full capacity you can get bounced.

Policy is needed due to all the tourists and the fact that they need to keep the place true to its roots and underground.

No one waiting in line has any 'vibe', they're all stressing to much as to whether they'll be let in or what :lol:.

Reading about berghains roots and the predecessor to berghain (Ostgut) I doubt many people attending are true to those roots these days :eek:. I get what you mean about "all the tourists" but is there anything wrong with 'tourists' whether they are from overseas or other parts of Germany / Europe as long as they are there for the music and the party? whenever I travel whether it's in the UK or overseas one of the first things I do is suss out the club situation and find out if there's anything on, whether it be a club night with local dj's or the bigger name internationals.

We chatted to a small group in the line at Watergate who were from NYC and doing a tour of various European cities, they had no clue who was playing that night and were pretty shocked that we knew who was playing, they were even more shocked when I mentioned I had made the jaunt to NYC for Twilo when Sasha & Digweed had their residency, no idea if they got in or not, so yeah i do understand in some cases as to keeping tourists to a minimum, just a shame that a lot who are genuinely into the music get knocked back.

Everytime Sven Marquardt is asked about the door policy he appears genuinely amused that people take such time in analysing and trying to decipher it.

He's pretty much said himself, there is no rhyme or reason to it. It just is what it is. Notable DJs are turned away. So if you are you're in good company!

No one waiting in line has any 'vibe', they're all stressing to much as to whether they'll be let in or what :lol:.

Reading about berghains roots and the predecessor to berghain (Ostgut) I doubt many people attending are true to those roots these days :eek:. I get what you mean about "all the tourists" but is there anything wrong with 'tourists' whether they are from overseas or other parts of Germany / Europe as long as they are there for the music and the party? whenever I travel whether it's in the UK or overseas one of the first things I do is suss out the club situation and find out if there's anything on, whether it be a club night with local dj's or the bigger name internationals.

We chatted to a small group in the line at Watergate who were from NYC and doing a tour of various European cities, they had no clue who was playing that night and were pretty shocked that we knew who was playing, they were even more shocked when I mentioned I had made the jaunt to NYC for Twilo when Sasha & Digweed had their residency, no idea if they got in or not, so yeah i do understand in some cases as to keeping tourists to a minimum, just a shame that a lot who are genuinely into the music get knocked back.

If you let everyone in, you kill the vibe. The mystique is lost and the place just ends up getting filled by camera-waving twerps from Romford.

England are playing Germany in Berlin the same weekend I'm there....

Not to sure what to think of that... could make it harder to get into clubs with an English accent.... :cry:

Anyone know of any decent bars or areas where there is likely to be bars close together? Been to Berlin once before an was overwhelmed by the sheer size of the place.

Anyone know of any decent bars or areas where there is likely to be bars close together? Been to Berlin once before an was overwhelmed by the sheer size of the place.

Berghain sounds like a load of complete wank. So you want me to queue for hours on the off chance some roided up tit on his period decides I'm worthy of going inside? F*cking pretentious horseshit :D

Berghain problem is kind of simple - it's only so big and, lessons learnt for somewhere else....they refuse to overly pack the dancefloor. There is always room to dance (NB with an entry fee of about 15 quid).

However 5 X the capacity turn up on any given night. So loads have to be knocked back whoever they are.

And it is fundamentally a gay club with proper dark rooms/pi$$ nights etc - which I respect their right to maintain strict door rules for. No problem with positive discrimination. So just letting in the first 2000 people won't work either for obv reasons.

And also a proper techno club for real fans. Thats open for 36 hours with lots a regulars who have been with them on the scene for 10 + years who have to get in.

So if they are seeking to limit numbers and seek out gay proper techno fans who are able to give it up for 36 hours, they are going to have to use some voodoo sh1t to let people in. Clearly lots of it is all random or seems to be as how can it not be...great for the brand also clearly, but bear in mind it's not a new night opening with door policy, it has years of being built up to this and it is trying to maintain it's opening purpose in the era of EDM...

Far prefer this approach to 'face police'..and I've been knocked back twice and never got in!

Back