Restaurant Reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok...so i used to be a right little Ibiza dudette....but...unfortunatley not been back to the island since 2007 now.
Spending my Birthday there this year in June and want a super fab restaraunt, ideally sea views....dont like fish.... what you reckon???

Tijuana Tex Mex is always my first port of call in san an. I had my first ever fajitas here and has been a firm favourite ever since. Reasonably priced and I love the little iced shots you get at the end of your meal. Great aptmosphere too especially out on the terrace upstairs. Always get lost tring to find the place though 8)

Here are a few restaurant-related excerpts from my 2010 Ibiza review
http://www.spotlight-forums.com/showthread.php?t=68737
Not exactly in the format at the start of this thread, but hopefully still useful to someone.

Fish Shack (Talamanca) – For dinner, we drove over to Talamanca to find the infamous Fish Shack. The name really fits the place – it is truly a small shack with tables outside! It's right on the water, about 100 meters away from the better-known (and better signposted) restaurant Sa Punta. We knew we were on to something when we saw Smokin' Jo hanging out there, and we were right. 8) The premise is simple – the waiter rails off a list of 5-6 types of fish that they've got today (plus steak and lamb chops) and you choose one. Each comes with green salad and potato salad. This place gets the simple things right – a tasty, well-prepared piece of very fresh fish. Simple and delicious. With several beers, wines and coffee, a good value at 51 euros.

Brisa de la Mar (Cala Pada) – We decided to go out for a late lunch and drove to Cala Pada on the East coast, just a little bit north of Santa Eulalia. For starters, we shared a huge portion of fish soup that was more than enough for two. The missus had the mussels marinara and I went for the monkfish in clam and shrimp sauce. Very fresh ingredients but both the soup and my fish left you with the feeling that something was missing… maybe some more garlic or salt or something. Too bland. :confused: In any case, an unfortunate salt shaker incident rendered half of my dish inedible. :lol: Not expensive though and Cala Pada is a nice setting. 50 euros including a couple of beers.

Bella Napoli (Playa den Bossa) – Just a quick word about this place. Obviously, its main draw is that it's in PdB near the hotels, bars and basically across the street from Space, but I was pleasantly surprised with our meal. Four of us shared some pizza, arugula salads and carpaccio and not a single complaint. Everything was fresh and tasty. Good choice for an inexpensive meal nearby if you're staying in PdB or on your way to…

Sa Cornucopia (Sta Gertrudis) – Wow. What a great restaurant. It's set in a finca-style building with a lovely outdoor terrace on a quiet side street. Mediterranean cuisine, with about a quarter of their dishes vegetarian. Instead of aioli, they served up a lovely spiced olive paste with their bread. I had a goat cheese salad to start, sharing some of it with the missus, followed by a bowl of couscous served with a separate bowl of lamb, lamb sausage and veggies in a flavorful stew. Irina went with the duck breast in a sweet wine sauce. Epic portions at this place! We could barely finish our food… but we couldn't help but eat it all (at the expense of mobility for the next couple of hours! Seriously… epic portions!) Our bill came to 84 euros, half of which was drinks (wine, beer, coffee, hierbas). Recommended!

Ancient People (Ibiza Town) – One of the best curries on the island and one of the best values for eating out as well. They have a great lunch deal in which you get a choice from among 4 appetizers plus a selection of curries for just EUR 9.50, including rice. I went for the saag chicken & samosas while Irina ordered samosas and lamb vindaloo plus some lentil soup from menu. I'll admit that we didn't find it quite as delicious as our first visit last year (her lamb was a little tough), although the service has improved. But at 30 euros with several glasses of beer and wine, it's still a good choice. Plus, they were playing Nina Simone as background music. ‘Nuff said.

La Masia d'en Sort (Ibiza -San Miguel Road, 1km after turn off from Ibiza-Santa Eularia Rd) – After missing out on dinner in Formentera, we decided to check another choice off my list of restaurant ideas and selected Masia d'en Sort, one of Ibiza's Michelin-starred restaurants. They pride themselves on quality food at fair prices, and they do not disappoint. They also had some of the best service we'd seen anywhere on the island. The setting itself is worth a Michelin star – they've got a huge walled garden out back with tables spaced well far apart and lots of fruit trees and vines of various sorts – oranges, lemons, grapes, etc. Starters are around 10 euros and mains around 20, all with good-sized portions. Irina had a green salad with warm shrimp, scallops and broccoli with vinaigrette accented with soy & honey, while I started with the fish soup. Both were fabulous – I especially loved the thick hearty broth in my soup. For our main courses, she had the wild turbot and I had lamb loin stuffed with bacon and foie gras in a rosemary-infused gravy, both arriving with a small side of grilled veggies and potato au gratin. Irina asked for some lemon for her fish, and the maitre d walked over to a tree, picked one, wiped it down, and cut it in half for her. We were well impressed! 108 euros including aperitifs, a bottle of wine, beers and coffee. And the best, most garlicky aioli we tried anywhere. Recommended!

El Rincon de Pepe (San Antonio) – This tapas restaurant has gotten a few mentions in the forums over the years so we decided to finally check it out. You wouldn't expect to find a good place to eat nestled amongst the bars and tacky shops of the West End but do not fear, for here you will enjoy some solid (if not spectacular) tapas at a very fair price. We loaded up – fried octopus with potato, marinated peppers, lamb shish kebab, steamed mussels with pico de gallo, and meatballs. Of them, only the lamb was disappointing. Be sure to check the blackboard on the wall too as we didn't notice until after that there were some additional choices to those on the menu. Good value. Forgot to make a note of our total but it was in the range of 30 euros.

Restaurant Cala Mastella (a.k.a. El Bigotes) – Some of you might know the story. The King of Spain was allegedly once turned away from this place for not having a reservation. You have to come a day or more in advance and leave a 20 euro deposit for your table. There is one seating per day – at 2pm. They have no phone, so there is no use trying to call and beg for a seat. Every table is full (we were lucky they let us squeeze 7 into our table for 5). There is no menu because everyone is eating the same thing. In the back of the room is one big pot, and in that pot these masters cook some Ibizan-style fish stew (bullit de peix.. actually, probable more of a guisado de pescado) with potatoes, saffron, and the fresh catch of the day. Absolutely delicious. Legend is, the proprietor goes out to catch the fish himself each morning. If you want seconds, don't worry – they distribute everything that's left in the pot after each table finishes its first platter. Then they make you a 2nd course of rice simmered in the leftover broth from the first course. Lovely. This was probably the most fun meal we had the whole trip – the setting, the company (an American and a Russian dining with a Brit, his Czech wife, an Ibiceno, a Spaniard and an Irishman… must be a joke in there somewhere. We certainly laughed the whole time!), the food. Just a great afternoon… and despite having eaten my weight in food, I could have had more. And the best part – with 3 bottles of rose, 12 beers, a couple of bottles of water, and a lovely coffee with liquor (cooked in a big pot on the same fire as the food pot) for everyone – it worked out to 35 euros each with tip. Recommended!!

Restaurant Es Torrent (Es Torrent) – On the way back, we stopped off at Es Torrent for dinner. We'd had this place recommended to us often, including by locals, so we had had high hopes. We'd been to this beach before a couple of times but had only had their sangria. We decided it was time for our annual paella, but started off with some marinated tuna (delicious) and Gallician-style octopus (too much sea salt). We chose the blind paella, where they remove most of the shells & bones and such from the seafood. The paella was OK, but not the best we've had (still dreaming of La Brasa in Ibiza Town). The place isn't cheap either – 128 euros total, 28 of which was for the pitcher of white whine sangria.

Blue Marlin (Cala Jondal) – Blue Marlin is probably better known for its occasional parties than for its food but it's a nice place for a meal with a beautiful setting. Irina started with the spicy seviche while I settled on the tuna Caesar salad. Both delicious. I like the fact that they didn't over load the Caesar in sauce as some places do. Irina had a delicious tuna steak as her main while my tagliatele with shrimp was tasty although perhaps could have used more flavor. Overall, very pleased with our meal, despite leaving 138 euros (35 of which was one pitcher of sangria). You pay for the ambience and the coolness of the place, and for the DJ spinning some very nice afternoon house tunes.

And here are some more restaurant excerpts, from my 2009 review
http://www.spotlight-forums.com/showthread.php?t=64584

L'Elephant Restaurant San Rafael
We left the Zoo about 30 minutes before its midnight closing to go get some food, and decided to stop in at L'Elephant as it was close by. First things first: this is an expensive restaurant. More importantly: it's worth it. We had extremely good service (right down to the free valet parking), the ambience is pleasant and there are nice views of the San Rafael church and further on. As it was late, we skipped the starters and went straight for the main course: I had the John Dory fish in saffron sauce with spinach and herbed rice. Subtle and delicious.8) Vika had the shrimp tempura. Add a bottle of wine and we dropped 100 euros. Recommended.

Delano
Playa den Bossa

It took me a while to get going on Sunday but eventually dragged myself up and out to Delano to meet up with Grego and Vika for a late lunch. I had the linguini aglio with chicken, which was OK, while Vika had a very nice Caesar salad with shrimp and Grego had a monster of a burger. 60 euros for the 3 of us with a couple glasses of wine and a few beers. It's a step up from some of the street-side eateries in PdB, but at 7-14 euros per dish, not expensive at all in my view. It's an even better value if you climb on one of their free beach beds as I did on a subsequent visit. Recommended.

S'Illot des Rencli
We took a wrong turn out of Cala Xarraca and drove forever :evil: before calling a friend for directions, making u-turn, and heading back to the next turn-off after Cala Xarraca to S'Illot des Rencli. There's a small beach there but the restaurant that shares its name was our destination. We were, unfortunately, too late to try their big dishes (I wanted the fish stew) as they were near closing time at 7. However, I had a hearty fish soup that more than made up for it, with lots of saffron, shrimp and chunks of fish.:D Irina started with the asparagus with mayo and salad. The best thing about a restaurant is when they get the simple things right: Irina ordered a fillet of sole and I had a steak of a fish called sirvio (translation anyone?!) and both were grilled to perfection with just the right amount of salt and garlic.:D Altogether, just under 70 euros with a couple of glasses of beer and wine each. Good choice for seafood. Recommended.

S'Oficina
Playa den Bossa

Another argument against the claims of some that PdB is a food wasteland, S'Oficina is a Basque restaurant and one of the island's small number of Michelin-listed establishments. We had some amazing starters – Irina's rich fish soup was similar to what I'd had at S'Illot des Rencli, only with a thicker broth. My goat cheese salad had 4 chunks of baked cheese, salad, thin slices of apple, strawberry, and cranberry. For the main course, we asked what the most “Basque” dish was and were told to get the hake, which is cooked with wine and garlic and served with bits of toasted garlic on top. We both had it. I wasn't overly impressed (thought it needed more flavor) but Irina loved it. Service was good. The terrace is right on the street so not the best outdoor spot, but I'd still recommend it if you're looking for a nice dinner in PdB. The food and a very nice bottle of Galician white wine cost 115 euros with tip. Recommended.

Cap des Falco
Vika and Momo came up with the idea of heading over Cap des Falco for the sunset. By comparison with Usuaia, their 1.5 liter pitcher of white wine sangria cost 24 euros!! It was better sangria, though. Vika had the sushi platter which was pretty good, while Irina had a nice seviche (more like a seviche-styled fish carpaccio) . I thought my meal was the best: linguini in a creamy brandy sauce with prawns. Flavorful. For 4 of us, we left 130 euros. But the best part about the place is the sunset. At that point, it was still behind the hills (actually, the top of Es Vedra, visible in the distance). Later in the season, you can see it out over the water. Recommended, if you're eating at sunset.

El Chiringuito Cala Gracioneta
We stayed close for an early dinner, making the trek over to Cala Gracioneta and its El Chiringuito. It started off well – we ordered a Roquefort salad to share and they brought us a huge plate of lettuce, Roquefort cheese, bacon, and walnuts in a light dressing. Delicious. However, the missus insisted on paella as the main course and it was decidedly average. Prices weren't bad as our bill came to 60 euros with drinks, and the service was pretty good, but I left disappointed. There were also a strangely large number of flies buzzing around us as we ate! Not Recommended, although I suppose it'd be fine if you're just grabbing a beach snack.:confused:

Cas Mila Cala Tarida
I'd wanted to go to the village of San Augustin for dinner but Irina insisted on something seaside, :evil: so we went to Cala Tarida and I have to give her credit because it was a perfect choice. :D We'd tried to go to Cas Mila last year but we came during their break between lunch and dinner. This time, they opened just as we arrived. Before we even started eating, we witnessed the most beautiful sunset of the trip. Then the symphony of taste began: for me, heavenly tuna tartare with big portion of big chunks of marinated fish and a side of reduced balsamic. For Irina, delicious gazpacho with a hint of smoky flavor to it and various additives (minced celery, green pepper, etc.) served on the side. I had the roasted lamb shoulder for a main course and Irina went with the monkfish with a flavorful clam and shrimp sauce. Both came with a side of asparagus and potatoes. Best meal of the trip! Total with beers and wines, 89 euros. Good service too. Highly recommended!!

Andurina Da Medica Ibiza Town
Afterward, we went to Ibiza Town for dinner at a Galician restaurant called Andurina Da Medica. Well, it's more like a diner than a restaurant, really. We ordered the octopus with chorizo-seasoned olive oil, potato and sea salt, the garlic shrimp, and some cod fritters. One of the more disappointing meals we had, to be honest, but quite cheap at 30 euros with 2 beers and glasses of wine. Not Recommended.

El Chiringuito Es Cavellet
Not related to the Chiringuito at Cala Gracioneta, this restaurant is one of those somewhat overpriced fancy beach-type places. When I came back from my quest and from getting lost in the woods/sex zone, I found Irina had relocated to the restaurant to stay dry. I had other (better) plans for dinner later on, but alas we ended up just having a late lunch as this establishment had the mussels she'd been craving and they were the big juicy kind. I had the wagyu steak with brocolli & potato, a small portion for the price but it was a pretty good cut of meat. Despite a hundred waiters running around, it took forever to get anyone's attention. The bill, together with a pitcher of very good white sangria, totaled 69 euros.

Ses Pedrises Cala Nova
There were only about 4 tables full but it always took ages for us to get the attention of either of the 2 waiters. :x When we finally got served, we got a below par pitcher of white sangria (Irina was convinced they put powdered orange juice in it). I had a plate of croquettas to start, and those were delicious and came with a side salad – practically a meal by itself. They also gave us a delicious appetizer on-the-house of fried marinated octopus and potato with onions and pepper. Mmmm. The main course was a bit of a mess. We'd ordered the fish stew with rice, expecting something similar to local fish stews we'd had elsewhere. Instead, we got a big bowl of rice in a red broth with tiny bits of seafood. Not impressive… it was kind of like paella soup. It was OK once you added salt. What we didn't know is that this was to be followed with a huge platter of various fish and potato covered in mayonnaise. We tried some, but didn't finish it. The bill was 70 euros but that's on the high end of what you'd expect to spend there. Most dishes were 5-15 euros. I think we just chose poorly, although the service was less than admirable. Not recommended.

Ancient People Ibiza Town
…at which point I remembered about Ancient People. I hadn't been there but had heard repeatedly that they served up flavorful Indian fare. Sure enough, it was a great choice as I was dying for something with strong flavors. :D Marinated tandoori lamb chops and veggie samosas were followed by prawn vindaloo, a chicken curry, dal, nan and rice. Everything was top notch. The check, with several beers (to cool down my burning mouth) and wine was just 50 euros. And the service was very friendly and attentive. Recommended!

Not quite as useful, but here are some tidbits from my 2008 Ibiza review
http://www.spotlight-forums.com/showthread.php?t=58465

Restaurant Cas Mallorqui, Portinatx[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
A locally run caf[FONT=&quot]e[/FONT] and hostel which served us up a nice fresh salad and a very delicious black paella. The furnishings are simple but there is a great view of the sea and coastal rock formations from the windows and the service was great. About 50 euros including a few drinks. For those who haven[FONT=&quot]'[/FONT]t been, I think of Portinatx as competing with Puerto de San Miguel to be the commercial capital of the north coast. You get some older tourists and families, and it[FONT=&quot]'[/FONT]s a nice quaint little town.
[note: there has apparently been a change in ownership and, according to Jimmiz below, it's awful now]

Moorea[FONT=&quot]'[/FONT]s Restaurant
In the Jet complex in PdB. I continue to contend this is one of the best spots to eat in the resort. Irina had some delicious garlic prawns while I feasted on a fresh grilled fillet steak. Just 50 euros with a couple of wines and beers. Mid-afternoon service is slower than it used to be evenings, but to be fair we were there between shifts. Still, definitely recommended.
NOTE: since this was written in 2008, Moorea's has gone downhill :(

Es Boldado
located on a cliff at Cala d[FONT=&quot]'[/FONT]Hort with gorgeous views of Es Vedra. I started with garlic prawns and Irina had a salad, which we followed with a 2-person order of Ibiceno fish stew. MMMmmm!!! Chunks of grouper, john dhory and potato in a saffron broth. Delicious, and a portion so huge even I couldn[FONT=&quot]'[/FONT]t finish it. Bill including a small bottle of wine and a couple of beers was 95 euros plus tip. Did I mention the great views? Really nice restaurant.

Pacha Restaurant
Irina had sushi, which was quite good. I had the lobster, which was tasty but somewhat difficult to pull apart and came without a nice butter dipping sauce. We probably had about an 80 euro bill for food for the 2 of us but the real bill was in the 150 range because we all downed several bottles of champagne. Dinner at Pacha meant free entry to the club.

Gran China 3 , Playa den Bossa
The cheesy little Chinese place across from Garbi. Their food is nothing to write home about but it[FONT=&quot]'[/FONT]s edible and the hot & sour soup really hit the spot. At 32 euros including several beers, soup, beef in spicy sauce, fish in spicy sauce, spring rolls and fried rice, I couldn[FONT=&quot]'[/FONT]t fault the price.

Cap des Falco
We[FONT=&quot]'[/FONT]ve eaten there before and their food isn[FONT=&quot]'[/FONT]t the most consistent but the location and views can[FONT=&quot]'[/FONT]t be faulted. I had a lovely tagliatelle in Roquefort sauce to start while Irina had a pineapple carpaccio with tuna tartare. All very good. My tuna steak was a little more cooked than I wanted but came with a nice side of grilled vegetables. Irina's baked fish wrapped in foil was delicious (but no side dish). With only a couple of drinks, somewhat pricey at 130 euros. We were pleased with our meals nonetheless.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not quite as useful, but here are some tidbits from my 2008 Ibiza review
http://www.spotlight-forums.com/showthread.php?t=58465

Restaurant Cas Mallorqui, Portinatx
A locally run caf[FONT=&quot]e[/FONT] and hostel which served us up a nice fresh salad and a very delicious black paella. The furnishings are simple but there is a great view of the sea and coastal rock formations from the windows and the service was great. About 50 euros including a few drinks. For those who haven[FONT=&quot]'[/FONT]t been, I think of Portinatx as competing with Puerto de San Miguel to be the commercial capital of the north coast. You get some older tourists and families, and it[FONT=&quot]'[/FONT]s a nice quaint little town.

the owners change last season,and it was awful...

McRackin in the Ibiza Gossip thread said:
These are the five best restaurants in ibiza, according to the 2012 Repsol guide:

· es xarcu in es xarcu beach **
· ama lur in santa gertrudis *
· can alfredo in ibiza town *
· las dos lunas in san rafael *
· trattoria del sole in san josé *
As many restaurants a I've been to, I haven't been to any of these :confused: (although a friend of a friend owns Alfredo and I've heard good things)

oh yeah!! :lol:

bigarse.jpg

aw dude.. thats a terrible ass.. and terrible bikini..

:lol:

looking to go the fish shack this summer, can you just turn up and get a table or is it really busy?

We went to Tapas Restaurant & Lounge Bar last night in San Antonio and can highly recommend it.

Situated just five minutes from Ibiza Rocks & Itaca, take the road opposite the Burger King on Doctor Flemings. It is like you have travelled back 20 years to a beautifully converted Finca with a stunning open air terrace and lounge bar.

Serving a wide selection of modern Tapas, we had 5 between us to share as well as bread and olives. The wife had two Mojitos (which she very much enjoyed) and I had a couple of pints of draught beer and some water. They chucked in a couple of shots at the end of the meal and it came to a very reasonable 60 euros.

Run by two guys and a girl from England, definitely worth supporting them as they have done a fantastic job.

We will will certainly be back.

Yeah its a great place..Beautiful terrace and the food is really,really good. Tony is one of the guys name.Its gona do really well for them im sure.They have bands playing some nights too.All at a great price..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back