Would it be worth my time going in June?

Alessio0o

Hi there, this is my first post, i was wondering since there is some experienced people in this forum if there is any point for me going for a working holiday in june? The reason why it would be june is due to me not finishing college until the 10th. Also i have been looking at playawayabroad.com and wondering if anyone can give me any feed back if it worth booking via them.

If not, and its best to go solo, where do i start and how much roughly do people recommend i take?

Also may be a pointless question to ask, but i am a time served electrician, im wondering what the demand is like for bars needing various equipment etc needing fixed? that is failing i cant get a PR or bar job?

If anyone can get back to me i would really appreciate it :) Thanks

June time isnt a problem a such, just less chance of finding work and accommodation. ull be wanting to book accommodation before you arrive e.g a hotel for 2 weeks, in that time you can search for cheaper accommodation and a job. Cash... around £1000 £1500 will be plenty, not so sure on matter of electronic work. any more info just message me of add me on facebook for further information :) Adam NFFC Mitchell

hmm, i suspected as much, yet playaway claim they have a good network they have that can get some sort of work for anyone that takes their deal. i will drop ya a message soon man, would it be worth to consider another place to go for a working holiday?

depends pal, its easy enough to find work, if you really really want work you will find it, same as the uk, work is out there you just have to want it. if you fina a good enough group to live with and find a little job you will be fine, if u want good payed work ull need a NIE number. if u dont have one they can get rid of you on the spot at anytime and have no contract.

im not too bothered about earning alot, enough to get by will be fine for me, im more than happy than dealing with cash in hand, deal in it often enough in the uk haha! ill need to get some extra pennies, but cheers for the heads up man

Hi there, this is my first post, i was wondering since there is some experienced people in this forum if there is any point for me going for a working holiday in june? The reason why it would be june is due to me not finishing college until the 10th. Also i have been looking at playawayabroad.com and wondering if anyone can give me any feed back if it worth booking via them.

If not, and its best to go solo, where do i start and how much roughly do people recommend i take?

Also may be a pointless question to ask, but i am a time served electrician, im wondering what the demand is like for bars needing various equipment etc needing fixed? that is failing i cant get a PR or bar job?

If anyone can get back to me i would really appreciate it :) Thanks

Hi,

June should be fine for PR work, as PR's drop out throughout the season.
I wouldn't recommend going through any agency, just come over and walk around the bars and clubs. Money wise, take as much as you can, you can never have too much in Ibiza.
Bars equipment do sometimes break down, especially CDJ's which I found out a couple of years ago, so when you go around the bars, let them know you're an electrician, get some business cards made up, then when you get a Spanish mobile number, you'll need one over there, as people don't usually call UK mobiles from their Spanish phones because its expensive, just write your number on the cards.

Good luck mate and maybe I'll see you out there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Set up a uk santander account. It's free to withdraw cash from Spanish santander cash machines. Handily there is a santander at the bottom of the west end. Much cheaper than 1.50 a transaction over 5 months.

Alternatively if you set up a Spanish bank account or have a friend with one, you can use a website called transferwise to send money from a uk bank account to a Spanish one (its free if you can wait 5 days for the money) and you get a much better exchange rate than when you withdraw cash. Also handy if you need to pay your landlord rent / deposit straight to a spanish bank account. If you ask your uk bank to transfer the money it costs a fortune.

surely all good above tips apply? just wont have that early season connection with employers / workers id imagine...

Also, try not to blow all your savings within 10 days, I know a few people who did that and didn't even make it to July. Obviously Ibiza is the best place on earth, but living there is a lot different from getting pissed for a week on holiday.
It sounds obvious, but it needs to be said ;)

So best bet is to open a santander account for free cash withdrawals?

I've had a look at the Santander website, as I was a bit dubious on the 'free withdrawal' statement.
According to their website:

• Can I use my cash card abroad?
You can use your Santander cash card abroad in machines displaying the Cirrus symbol.

You should know that:

- For cash withdrawals, in another currency; you will be charged a non-sterling transaction fee of 2.75% of the value plus a non-sterling cash fee of 1.5% of the value (at least £1.99)

• Can I use my Visa debit card abroad?
You're able to use your Visa Debit Card in the Visa worldwide network of cash machines and with merchants displaying the VISA sign.

You should know that:

- For purchases abroad or online in another currency you will be charged a non-sterling transaction fee of 2.75% of the value plus a non-sterling purchase fee of £1.25 for each transaction

- For cash withdrawals in another currency, you will be charged a non-sterling transaction fee of 2.75% of the value plus a non-sterling cash fee of 1.5% of the value (at least £1.99)

• Can I use my Santander Credit Card abroad?
You should know that:

- For purchases abroad or online in another currency you will be charged a non-sterling transaction fee of 2.95% of the value of the transaction

- For cash withdrawals, in another currency, you will be charged a non-sterling transaction fee of 2.95% of the value plus a non-sterling cash fee of 3% of the value (at least £3.00)

There was a Santander Zero Credit Card which used to let you withdrawal abroad for free, but to qualify for it you had to have £10,000 in savings with them, this card no longer exists.

Unless I've haven't seen a certain account which offers free withdrawals, I don't believe they do them.

You can check the the website here: http://www.santander.co.uk/csgs/Con...OM&empr=Abbeycom&leng=en_GB&cid=1210607136977

No i went in to the santander near me and they said it wont work with the santander in abiza as its a different branch!!!

you're better off, in my opinion, to getting a Euro card from www.fairfx.com, you transfer cash from your UK bank account on to this card and they only charge you €1.50 per transaction, no other charges at all.
You pay £9.95 for the new card and that's it. I do have a link that all FairFX customers get, which if someone clicks on it, they can have the new card fee waved, but alas I'm not allowed to copy/paste that link here, as FairFX gives me the huge sum of €2.50 and that is counted as an advert on Ibiza Spotlight. I am willing, and think I'm allowed, to share that link via message though, if not just send me a message via fb, twitter etc and we'll sort it out somehow.

Back