WORKING AND LIFE IN IBIZA

Niki Dimensions

Hello my lovelies

I am one of the many who dream and plan to make the big move with my family but as always the big question we ask,..... How will we make money / income????

I am a plumber by trade and my previous work life was in the Hard Landscaping trade. ( I am also a Dj here in the UK but realise this is a young young mans game).

I ask you native Ibizans how realistic it is to come to the Island with a couple of trades under their belt because I bet everyone has that idea. My history in Spain goes way back. My family have has a home in Sitges near Barcelona since 1980 and I have spent years out there with my girlfriend (now wife) so I know my stuff and it was easy peasy without kids. We now have four kids and I realise that no amount of Sun and Sea is worth it if life is a skint struggle.

So the key question, is there a need for trades people on the Island or should we be a bit more creative with work / careers / money? Your feed back would be really really appreciated.

Thanks

Niki

Hello my lovelies

I am one of the many who dream and plan to make the big move with my family but as always the big question we ask,..... How will we make money / income????

I am a plumber by trade and my previous work life was in the Hard Landscaping trade. ( I am also a Dj here in the UK but realise this is a young young mans game).

I ask you native Ibizans how realistic it is to come to the Island with a couple of trades under their belt because I bet everyone has that idea. My history in Spain goes way back. My family have has a home in Sitges near Barcelona since 1980 and I have spent years out there with my girlfriend (now wife) so I know my stuff and it was easy peasy without kids. We now have four kids and I realise that no amount of Sun and Sea is worth it if life is a skint struggle.

So the key question, is there a need for trades people on the Island or should we be a bit more creative with work / careers / money? Your feed back would be really really appreciated.

Thanks

Niki

Hi I'm in the same position but we are nearly there, house under offer , selling all our crap,
I can't take my trade due to the language barrier, but I'm willing to try a new career .
I'm looking at it this way , yes you can earn good money in this country but do you want to spend it all on a Frankie and bennies and a trip to the cinema, or earn less and walk on a beach everyday.
Don't give up the dream of dj if only for fun play out . Why not!!!

Mart

Hi I'm in the same position but we are nearly there, house under offer , selling all our crap,
I can't take my trade due to the language barrier, but I'm willing to try a new career .
I'm looking at it this way , yes you can earn good money in this country but do you want to spend it all on a Frankie and bennies and a trip to the cinema, or earn less and walk on a beach everyday.
Don't give up the dream of dj if only for fun play out . Why not!!!

Mart
Hello Mart

Thanks for the reply. I still gig a lot in the UK as 'Niki Dimensions' at all sorts of events but didn't want to do this in Ibiza. I don't want to be nocturnal and be sleeping it off when I should be out in the sun with my family. I am still involved in music but I am struggling for ideas for a more solid work plan. This is why I am trying to research the idea of using a practical trade on the Island.

All the best

Having a couple of trades and no problem with the language will put you in a better position than some. Its certainly not easy and most peoples advice is to be prepared to do anything and everything.

Without wanting to sound negative, it is very tough to make a living in Ibiza if you come to the island with no firm plans on what you will do to make a living. Like anywhere, if you are damned good at what you do and provide an excellent service your reputation should see you come good. A friend is slowly building up a good reputation by responding to call outs at any hour and providing a first class service.

Deffos agree with that, I don't know anyone who survives the winter without a load of savings or work under the belt.

Apart from having a lot of savings or some winter work, the only other way to survive winter is (assuming you've had a "proper" (not self employed) contract through summer) to draw the dole (ayuda) for the 6 months....

But as WeLuvIbiza says, you'd be best having a pretty firm idea what you want to do, but at the same time, be flexible !!

Lisa, talking of work, you might have already seen a post in Wanted In Ibiza (fb) a rock band looking for a singer to join them for the summer. Thought it might be up your street?

Back