White powder through customs?

Alive34

I am going to Ibiza for 4 weeks this year and want to take some protein powder with me. Firstly as I am going to temporarily join a gym and secondly as I am vegetarian, which is pretty much not recognised on the island, so I want to keep my protein intake up ...

Is it going to be okay to whack this in my suitcase or hand luggage or am I likely to get stopped at customs? ... especially as a solo traveller.

Being fingered by the ladies that look like men at the airport wont be a great start to my holiday!

If you take it in your hold luggage in an unopened tub you should be fine. The sniffer dogs are unlikely to be concerned with a bit of protein shake .. unless they are hungry, that is :!:

Do they have sniffer dogs at the airport?
I have spoke with a few people who took their own weed with them as it is cheaper here and whacked it in their pants for the journey, I would love to take my own other stuff with me but dont have the bottle :D Suppose catching someone with a bit of weed instead of 2-3g of coke isnt as serious although I would guess they would still stop you flying thus ending your holiday before it began.

Yes - a lot of hold baggage is 'scanned and sniffed'. In the UK the person collecting it is then pulled aside. You can also be asked to go through body scanners at some UK airports. Travelling with drugs on you or in your luggage is a pretty daft idea. Getting arrested is not the best way to start or end a holiday.

I can't believe this is a serious question!? :eek:

You need to watch a bit more of that Nothing to Declare programme on TV, it raises your paranoia going through customs if nothing else...

I used to work at east mids airport and they only had sniffer dogs in once a week or so checking the hold luggage. They also used to pat down cases for fags:D I have seen the body scanners at east mids also but they arent a permanent fixture. I have never took any drugs or been tempted as I dont have a very good poker face I reckon they would see me a mile away :lol:
Just wondered if Ibiza security might be a bit better then east mids, besides I was talking about strapping the drugs to the body not putting it in to the hold luggage.

Suppose catching someone with a bit of weed instead of 2-3g of coke isnt as serious although I would guess they would still stop you flying thus ending your holiday before it began.

Trying to transport stuff across international borders is a much more serious offence than being caught with stuff in a club or on the street :!:

Should be ok, just put the powder in little envelopes - then they'll be sure you're not smuggling large amounts - and be careful to mark the little packages with a big "C" so they're aware it's creatine.

I am going to Ibiza for 4 weeks this year and want to take some protein powder with me. Firstly as I am going to temporarily join a gym and secondly as I am vegetarian, which is pretty much not recognised on the island, so I want to keep my protein intake up ...

Is it going to be okay to whack this in my suitcase or hand luggage or am I likely to get stopped at customs? ... especially as a solo traveller.

Being fingered by the ladies that look like men at the airport wont be a great start to my holiday!

Call me old fashioned, but cant you just buy your protein powder on the Island?

Taking your protein powder will be fine (especially if it's in a sealed tub / packets) I have done this for a few years now, but moving illegal substances through airports is just ridiculously stupid. Why risk a jail term for it?

Oh and just after i'd read this thread i saw this news story on the M.E.N website, obviously slightly more serious than "a bit of weed" but it demonstrates a point...

http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereve...irport-with-heroin-worth-500k-in-his-suitcase

Can't speak for other airports, but Cardiff customs use swabs. The swab thing gets pressed around the inside of the bag then taken to a room with some sort of machine, if it beeps, time to start sweating. I've been in that room for the last three years in a row, I must look dodgy. I've never taken drugs as I'm a health nut, so I've always been confident nothing will happen. Guy behind me last year beeped, but they explained that as there was only insignificant coke residue they wouldn't hold him.

you will be fine, have been doing this every year for the last ten years at least and also taking creatine powder aswell, Ive never been stopped yet but always wondered what explanation i would give if I had a bag checked!!

Back