"When are you going to grow up and stop going to Ibiza?"

Boardgrrrrl

.....a friend asked us just before we left. :lol: He obviously doesn't know us that well

Anyone who's read a review of mine before knows we don't really go to Ibiza to do the clubs. We love just kicking back, eating, drinking, exploring and soaking up the feel of it all, but this year we actually made to one! I'm so proud of us LOL!

Friday
Flew out of BHX at 22:50, arrived at IBZ at 02:20. We debated trying to get to Amnesia for Primal Scream but decided against it as we didn't get out of the airport until 03:15 and thought we were cutting it a bit too fine. We opted for a ‘quiet' beer at the hotel instead….

Es Mitjorn, C\. Mateu Gasull 2, San Antonio. I cannot say enough good stuff about this place. Toni and his team run a great hotel with a laid back vibe which saw us return for a 3rd year. Despite its central location you don't get any of the crap associated with the West End. Clientele are mostly 20-40 somethings from all over the world who are there for the clubs and the love of the Island but it's not unusual to meet an elderly German couple taking a mini break or a young Spanish mom who brings her cute little girl to swim there every day.

The rest of Saturday was pretty chilled. Caught a sunset at Café Del Mar – we haven't been there since my first visit about 12 years ago and it was good to go back. It still puzzles me how they make it pay especially following sunset when the place virtually empties. We ate at Villa Mercedes which yet again was delicious and not that outrageously priced. We got a spot on the balcony out front which gave a great view of the bay by night.

The girls we travelled with went to Es Paradis for Hed Kandi and came back with glowing reports of Lovely Laura on sax , beautiful dancers and uplifting tunes. We went to Ibiza Rocks Bar to grumble like pensioners about how it's not a patch on Bar M and reminisce about the mental pre-parties they used to hold.

Sunday was another day of R&R by the pool sipping on gin and juice, and just wandering around the backstreets of San An. Popped into Tulip (next to Bay Bar) as the DJ drew us in with acoustic Fleetwood Mac Looking Out for Love and James Brown's Get Up Offa That Thing. Random yes! Shame the sangria wasn't up to the same standards – far too sweet. Curry Club for dinner. Food was average but made up for by the lovely surroundings.

Monday was the big one for us and I woke up with that tingly feeling of anticipation that you only seem to get when you're hitting a club. Yep it was time for Circo Loco! We headed to Rincon de Pepe's for a snack, sangria and a few carajillos beforehand and arrived at DC10 at about 5pm. A few people we spoke to beforehand seemed to pull the same concerned face when we told them where we were heading. It was a mixture of apprehension and fear and some of them said “you do KNOW what it's like there don't you? It's very ermm….dark….”, so this kind of put us on edge slightly even though we had an idea that it WAS going to be like that!

I have to say from the moment my feet hit the cat litter I was LOVING IT! Walking tentatively through that pitch black main room adds to the drama and then when you pop out into the sunlit terrace (OK I was trying to ignore the big black sound proofed roof…LOL!) it's like WOW! We all looked at each other with big grins on our faces and knew we were going to love it. The music was pounding and relentless, the bass made the hairs on your arms vibrate and I foolishly forgot my earplugs so had to rely on home made tissue earplugs! I'd like to tell you what tracks we heard and what DJ's we saw but I have no idea – I just got my head down and dropped some serious foot for the next 6 hours with a couple from Solihull no less - small world! What seemed like an hour later (it was about 11:30pm) one of our party was flagging a little so we decided it was time to call it a night. I was a little gutted but you never leave a man down so back to the hotel we headed for a nightcap.

Tuesday – woke up feeling surprisingly fresh. Legs were aching a little so took a stroll to Cala Gracionetta for some food at El Chiringuito. It was really busy with all tables reserved so it was only on the off chance we found a table which was unlaid and sat down. Turns out it was broken but they let us stay anyway. I had a humungous Ibicencan salad. The other half could only face bread and alioli - all of which was delicious. That evening we just reclined in Villa Mercedes garden drinking Berry Mercedes cocktails and red wine. And getting bitten to buggery =(

Wednesday – headed over to PDB at around midday and had a mosey round. Checked out Ushuaia as much as one can check it out without being accosted by security, then headed over to Bora Bora for an afternoon of €5-for-6 San Miguels, crusty bread/Chorizo/manchego cheese sarnies and lots and lots of people watching 8) Had a bit of a groove in Bora Bora but my was the music dark :( I'm used to it being light and frilly with lots of hands in the air and wooping but it was missing something this time around. Maybe it's the bitter aftertaste of being charged ridiculous prices for drinks (€45 for 3 vodka limons and a large beer - really???) but people didn't seem to be loving it as much (except bloke in Rod Stewart wig and budgie smugglers, and skinny girl with short hair who were rocking it up on the tables)

Wednesday evening we eventually decided to go to Ibiza Rocks. The girls were well up for it, but me and the Hubs were a little reluctant, not being Streets fans but hey – you never know till you try it do you? Without trashing the place far too much as I know some of you love it, it was like being at an underage festival with overinflated prices. Exiting past the gift shop summed it all up for me with how much branded cr@p you can buy in there. Props to the IR team – they are cashing while the goings good and who can blame them? Maybe my opinion would have been different if I had actually enjoyed the music? Who knows……

Thursday was spent rubbing our heads and getting one last blast of sun on our bones before heading home that evening.

In summary I had a great trip! Yes we didn't stray far from home but we'd had a knackering year – all we wanted to do was drink and chill out, but I do wish we'd hired a car for those hangover days instead of vegging by the pool.

Highlights - Circo Loco, Villa Mercedes, Toni at Es Mitjorn and his island knowledge and stories

Regrets – not staying for longer, not hiring a car

Next time? September 2012. 9 days. Booking car hire as soon as I can! And I think I might be ready for We Love Sundays….!

Last edited by a moderator:
I've only just started going to Ibiza, my 2nd visit in 5 days and I'm 39 and I have no plans in stopping or going anywhere else for that matter :lol:

Already looking forward to getting my plans made for 2012, September of course ;)

great review. I'll second your friends opinion of Hed kandi, one of my fav nights. I'm 33, all the friends I used to go away with are married...so what's to stop me returning, again, and again...

Work colleagues make me laugh, thinking I'm on some sort of head banging, no sleep, alcohol fuelled holiday. Reality is if I'm not doing a cultural tour of the Island, I'm on a beach all day, then a few chilled drinks at night. Only do the odd nightclub here and there.

Nice review boardy...;) Me and missus dust where in DC10 at the same as you.. Loooads of brummies in there.. Were both 40 and there where plenty in there older than us.. Im sure i saw Phil Gifford who started wobble and Julie war who used to DJ years ago at Moneypenneys, she's gotta be nearly 50... Keep on trucking!!!!..:twisted:

Nice review BG! Made me a little jealous that having returned last year, I didn't make it this summer.

Next year!

Nice review boardy...;) Me and missus dust where in DC10 at the same as you.. Loooads of brummies in there.. Were both 40 and there where plenty in there older than us.. Im sure i saw Phil Gifford who started wobble and Julie war who used to DJ years ago at Moneypenneys, she's gotta be nearly 50... Keep on trucking!!!!..:twisted:

Ta very much!

Wobble! Teks me back a bit doh it! I bought my engagement ring from the Jewellery Quarter and one afternoon after a fitting, we ended up wandering around and came across what we though was that huge roller shutter door that used to vibrate whilst you were in the queue :lol: ahhh memories 8)

Great read - making me tingly already. Definitely rent that car next year - I remember every day out and about as vividly as every night (the recovery days become equally awesome in their own ways). The beaches and countryside away from the towns are beautiful and you can just take off wherever you want whenever you fancy without waiting for buses or working around taxis. Can't imagine being there without a car now.

I always pick mine up / drop it off at the airport so you save 2 transfers (especially if you're up North or in San An) and don't waste time out of the trip collecting and returning it to a town agency. Every minute in Ibiza is a precious one :D.

PS - 37 and in the clubs or music bars till the small hours most nights. Don;t see any foreseeable reason to change that ;).

Enjoyed the read.

We got back yesterday from 2 weeks. I'm 36 and had the best Ibiza trip this year.

We are looking to book up for May already and Sept later....

nice review .... 8)
head out saturday for a week ... im 35, have been going since 98 and plan on going till 2098 :lol:

I get the "too old" patter all the time, and I'm only 31. We're heading out on the 27th of Sept for 11 nights, cannot wait.

How do you define being too old for something? I don't get it. If you enjoy it, do it.

Enjoyed the read.

We got back yesterday from 2 weeks. I'm 36 and had the best Ibiza trip this year.

We are looking to book up for May already and Sept later....

I'm itching to book Sept 12 up but need to calm down as we've got other stuff which requires more immediate financial attention - like the credit card bill from this trip :lol:

Great review mate, I got told the same this year 4 or 5 times, once I got there I could believe the age range 18-65 honest... :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Great review mate, I got told the same this year 4 or 5 times, once I got there I could believe the age range 18-65 honest... :D

Couldn't agree more. DC10 really surprised me - the couple we met were 40-something and without looking too far I could see people even more mature 8)

"When are you going to grow up and stop going to Ibiza?"
.....a friend asked us just before we left. :lol: He obviously doesn't know us that well

At least your friends acknowledge that you are going/have been.

We have two separate groups of mates who choose to ignore our visits:x.

I think that they are jealous:).

Nice review

P (39 years young)

Back